Lisinopril & Bendroflumethiazide - B.P. Meds.

NATURAL ANKLING

Lisinopril & Bendroflumethiazide - B.P. Meds.

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Developed high BP in my late twenties, now 59.
Beta blockers are probably the worst if you plan to exercise, I gave up cycling for some time when I was on them.
Most meds come with side effects and you have to weigh up health against taking them.
My risk at the moment is said to be 12.5 % and guidelines say over 10 % and a new patient will need some medication (GP)

In the last 4 years I have successfully cycled 250 miles in a day several times and 300 in 30 hours (total time) with a rest stops all unsupported.
I felt a bit washed out but never struggled to carry on.

Three years ago I found that I could not cycle for more that 50 minutes without getting off bike.
Blood tests revealed nothing but low blood salt levels suggested.
As my BP was dropping to 90 / 50 it was decided to stop the Bendroflumethiazide (Diuretic), which left me with Lisinopril (Ace inhibitor) both common BP meds.
Very quickly felt more normal whilst cycling again.

http://www.athletesheart.org/2010/02/at ... -pressure/
"5. Diuretics. Examples include: hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ), Lasix. These should generally be avoided in the athlete. There is an increased risk of heat-related illness, impaired exercise capacity, cramps, and even arrhythmias. In hot weather, these medications may lead to unacceptably high losses of magnesium and potassium."

Two years ago I stopped taking Rosuvastatin (cholestrerol lowering) by pure accident as the chemist had no stock and its not a real necessity to take them, I won't suffer from not taking them for a week or so.
I had been off them two weeks and noticed that at end of ride and straight after I was feeling less tired.
So I stopped taking as after six months my cholesterol level was normal, GP suggested that I might not need to take them.

Last year after two 12 hr rides one week apart, I noticed that at ten hours I was having to get off bike and now real hard work to carry on, after 12 hrs had to lie down and then struggled to ride at all, at the time put it down to a virus or something.

Beginning of this year noticed that my BP is dropping again and after a three hour ride struggled to sit in a chair after another two hours sitting at home.
I reduced the Lisinopril to half dose and then no dose on cycling days, this worked ok but still feel incapacitated two hours after ride.

"1. ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) inhibitors. Examples include: Altace, Zestril, lisinopril, enalapril. May be the drug of choice for athletes. There are few side effects if they are used in individuals who do not have kidney disease. Athletes taking ACE inhibitors may experience a sudden decrease in the BP just after a workout (potentially leading to blackout or syncope), so they should be aware of this possibility and have a cool-down period at the end of each workout."

After another pathetic 12 hr ride 148 miles some 20 less than I expected and cant carry on I decided enough was enough and set to change the BP med to something else, Istin (Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker) this apparently is the best for endurance, with almost no side effects affecting endurance.

"2. Calcium channel blockers. Examples include: Norvasc, Calan, Isoptin, Cardizem. These medications are also useful in the athlete. They do not lead to a decrease in exercise capacity. They can lead to a decrease in the heart rate and contractility (strength) of the left ventricle (heart’s main pumping chamber), but this is compensated for by an increase in the stroke volume (the amount of blood the heart ejects with each heartbeat)."
Early days only been on them for three weeks or so (many minor side effects and feel stiff as a board on bike), plus the flu jab last year meant six weeks of poor performance, so I might be ok just before Xmas :)

I would point out that I successfully cycled many 200 -250 day rides over the last five years on Bendroflumethiazide (diuretic) and Lisinopril (Ace inhibitor) but after about six years I developed chronic side effects but only came to light whilst cycling, training was all done at average 80% of max heart rate, 3-4 hrs, long distance was at average 70% of max heart rate, at lower levels you might be ok.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
531colin

Re: Lisinopril & Bendroflumethiazide - B.P. Meds.

Post by 531colin »

A bit of Googling will find you the British hypertension society/NICE guidelines for treatment of high blood pressure.
Their recommendation for the first intervention in white people over 50 years (or thereabouts) is for Calcium channel blockers, eg Amlodipine.
(Its different for people of Afro-caribbean origin)
Its probably a good idea to try what they recommend, they were certainly more useful than my GPs random prescribing.
I recently turned 70, and its taking less and less medication to control my blood pressure as I get older.....I don't know if that's expected or not.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yes I have reduced from 3 bp meds to one in last 6 years or so.

Just this minute got off phone to GP.
I explained (did not get so far as telling him my bp was climbing so I self perscribed1.5 X the dose, which has worked) that I had minor side effects, only got to swollen ankles and he immediately said that this will not go away!

I explain what exercise I do and he said that the side effects always mostly start at beginning of taking.

He said once BP is under control with the new med "Lercanidipine " ( which also has listed side effect of swollen ankles) also a channel blocker, he said we will discuss my drop off of endurance problems which he said are cardio vascular and he thinks its not meds :!:

I have spoken to several GP's at my practice and informed them all along what is happening over the last few years.
I have no problem with my GP, they are very sympathetic and receptive at the moment.
My BP is up just thinking about it :(
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

When I first saw that title I assumed it was from the Touring section. Someone looking for the best route across Cyprus.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

google cayenne pepper for high blood pressure and maybe give it a go.

works for me.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Update, for those that are interested-
Been in hell, swapped the channel blocker for another same type but same side effects and BP 180 / 110 :evil:
Headaches
Constipation
Swollen ankles
Constant urination
Muscle pains on bike
Pressure behind eyes / in face neck and head :(
Doc's was not sympathetic when my BP was up to 160 / 100 with a headache, for one day, ok I see that from his end, doubled dose and have ended up with BP last night of 180 / 110 and this morning 173/ 97 abouts.

Been to docs today and wanted full history on my BP treatment and symptoms, you got all day :lol:

I am now on Candesartan which is a angiotensin II receptor antagonist :?
We will see how it goes, I even suggested I go back what I was on two months ago for some relief.