Energy bars and energy fluids

mnichols

Re: Energy bars and energy fluids

Post by mnichols »

mjr wrote:So why do you use that to justify fat but not bread which has also been consumed for tens of thousands of years?

There was a book written about it called Wheat Belly, the hypothesis is that bread has changed, or rather wheat has changed. pre 1970's we used a wheat that we had used for thousands of years, but it was low yielding and susceptible to drought, disease and pests. So around that time 'better' wheat was introduced. It was genetically modified before we knew what that was. It's the new wheat that causes the problem. It is now very difficult to find the old wheat.

The book postulates a correlation between the introduction of this new wheat and the rise of obesity and many other health problems that have increased rapidly in the same time frame

He also suggests a correlation between this new wheat and the rapid rise in people that believe they are gluten sensitive or intolerant

I read the book. I'm not a scientist or doctor, but he makes a good case

It's become something of a band wagon and industry but the original book was very good - I actually emailed the author with a few questions and he responded. It's now become an industry and probably lost it's way a bit, but if you can see beyond that and read the original book its worth the time
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

mjr wrote:
And yes, some things are labelled "low fat" while abusing processed sugar, but others are labelled "low carb" and stuffed with sweetener chemicals or cheap processed fats. Check for poisons carefully...

thats why most people on LCHF will eat only real food and not processed rubbish which is stuffed full of crap.

I back up totally what Keith said, best example for me was doing the velothon, did it around 5.55 and so much faster than others I know who were better but they had to stop to fill up on food I just carried on cycling and just needed water topping up a couple of mins thats all.

As for you said evidence of those that do, well work from Chris Froome to a lot or pro triathletes plus many others who have 'changed their diets' but never quite have the the confidence to say LCHF.

I will definitely give you one - Romain BArdet who trains with Peter Defty - google it.
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

I’m partial to the sis energy go powder, add to your water helps with a constant supply of carbs & electrolytes throughout your ride if I need anything else more substantial I grab it at the coffee stop.
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I have recently tried ‘Tailwind’ through a friend who does long distance trail running. I used it on a recent 200km Audax and I was very impressed. So much so, I’m ditching my zero electrolyte tabs in favour of this stuff.

Still not convinced by any of the ‘sports bars’ and the likes in favour of normal food. But: Never say never.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

SmilerGB wrote:I’m partial to the sis energy go powder, add to your water helps with a constant supply of carbs & electrolytes throughout your ride if I need anything else more substantial I grab it at the coffee stop.

Yes i used to use that on the long tough rides i used to do. Decent stuff, even if these days I use zero tabs and my own home made energy bars.
Sweep
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mnichols wrote: So around that time 'better' wheat was introduced. It was genetically modified before we knew what that was. It's the new wheat that causes the problem. It is now very difficult to find the old wheat.

The book postulates a correlation between the introduction of this new wheat and the rise of obesity and many other health problems that have increased rapidly in the same time frame
People have been genertically modifying wheat for thousands of years. It's called selective breeding. And the wheat grown and used in the UK is much closer to 'old' wheat than that used in many other countries. The reason for that is that the climate is slightly different, and the wheat bred in the UK is still the wheat that grows best in the UK. Large bakeries heavily supplement it with imported wheat though, because it rises more easily.
mnichols wrote:He also suggests a correlation between this new wheat and the rapid rise in people that believe they are gluten sensitive or intolerant

I read the book. I'm not a scientist or doctor, but he makes a good case

Gluten sensitivity is fashionable. It's also considered a cure for many ills by 'health food' proponents. The combination of awareness of gluten intolerance, and the fashion of going gluten free is bound to create a rapid rise in people believing they are gluten sensitive. Those who are intolerant lack the enzyme to digest it. It is hereditary, and there is plenty of scientific evidence about which populations it is the most predominant in, how it is handed down, and what proportions of the population are/have been genetically intolerant.

Mini V is lactose intolerant and also has some yet undetermined allergies. She's been tested for genetic gluten intolerance, and also tried going gluten free. It hasn't helped. Yet, it is the very first thing that most people ask us, when we explain that she has some food intolerance/allergy issues. "Have you tried gluten free?" "Are you sure it's not gluten?" Even after I have I explained that we are certain it's not gluten because she's been tested and we tried gluten free, people will still say, "Are you sure? Maybe you haven't been completely gluten free. Did you go with gluten free oats and all of that?"
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hemo

Post by hemo »

Drink wise it is bottle of water and a zero tab, I try and buy them on offer.
Food wise a sandwich and fruit esp ready to eat squidgy apricots and prunes.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

really must get round to posting my energy snack recipe but in the meantime, for simple to hand energy when touring I can recommend keeping a plastic jar of peanut butter in your panniers. With some bread, sourceable pretty much anywhere, you are sorted for basic energy needs. Top it up with Lidl wine guns and shots of espresso from a carried bialettti.
Sweep
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I just eat regular food. But then I'm not competing, just going long distance. Fruit and nut bars. Chocolate. Nuts. Salad and hummous wraps. Etc. I used to really like the coconut smoothie that ASDA sold in cartons, but they changed the recipe. I found it really palatable and about 700kcal per box.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

The banana bars at Aldi are very good. The only two ingredients are banana and apple - nothing else.

They are small, tasty, cheap and (probably) healthy. I find them more convenient to carry than bananas
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

What ever biccies or munchies I can find in a cupboard will do although I take nothing for sub 50 milers. The bonk won't harm you!
Longer rides may see me hit a shop and then its most volume for least money. Ideally meat based. If it all falls apart I look for a can of pop.
It is recreational cycling not the TdF.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mattsccm wrote:What ever biccies or munchies I can find in a cupboard will do although I take nothing for sub 50 milers. The bonk won't harm you!
Longer rides may see me hit a shop and then its most volume for least money. Ideally meat based. If it all falls apart I look for a can of pop.
It is recreatiornal cycling not the TdF.

*The bonk won't harm you*

I beg to differ m'lud! :wink:
Bonk, knock, sags, a packet, the wall .. we have several names for it
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yep bonk bad/very for all sorts of reasons.
To be avoided at all costs.
Can't help but think anyone who says it's no great problem hasn't ever had it for whatever reason.
Have had it twice i think, but now a long time ago as I fuel sensibly.
Sweep
softlips

Post by softlips »

Sweep wrote: 13 Apr 2023, 12:30pm Yep bonk bad/very for all sorts of reasons.
To be avoided at all costs.
Can't help but think anyone who says it's no great problem hasn't ever had it for whatever reason.
Have had it twice i think, but now a long time ago as I fuel sensibly.
Yup, I've only had it twice but it's horrible. Actually the second time was a few weeks ago and I managed to rescue the situation. I was on what was meant to be a short group ride but the weather was much better so we pushed into the hills on a longer ride. Over a thousand metres of climbing a few hours later my head started to hurt, went very light headed and a little shaky, I'm sure I was hypotensive. I had a Rice Krispie bar which got me to the cafe stop where a huge slab of cake and coffee slowly resolved matters. First time I had was when I first started cycling 8 years ago, I could hardly move my legs the last 2 miles and even a neighbour said I looked dreadful as I got home.

On long rides I use High 5 energy drink, if abroad cycling a long way in the heat I'll refill with coke or similar with a sachet of salt added. For fuel i have banana, flapjack, Rice Krispie bars, Soreen bars but will carry a gel too.