Numb hands

WillB

Numb hands

Post by WillB »

I am looking for advice on preventing numb hands. The problem is most severe on my road bike. My fingers, particularly on the right hand, first go tingly, then numb after about an hour's cycling (will vary according to state of road, amount of braking required). It is also starting to become a problem on my Mercian tourer, which I have not had problems with before and have owned it since 1986. I have paid for an expensive fit on the road bike, put gel tape on the handlebars and try to cycle with arms bent and hands relaxed on hoods. The tyres are 25mm - about the largest that the bike will take with mudguards. I would welcome any suggestions on how to address the problem. Many thanks
mercalia

Re: Numb hands

Post by mercalia »

1986 is a long time ago. Maybe you need to change your riding postion since you aint as young as you used to be? what is the level of the handle bars relative to the seat, vertically? position of the seat relative to the bars horozontaly. have you any hand problems? If none of these things make a difference you could really bulk up the handle bars with dense foam ( I used velcro to strap it all on it dont look pretty but worrks, some day I will try to find a tidier soln ) as I did on my Dawes 1-Down to increase the suface area and therefore lower the pressure on my hands ( pressure = force/area?)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Have a look here https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35438....from "too good to lose".
There is a description of the different parts of the hand which are effected by pressure/compression of the different nerves.(Basically, ulnar nerve supplies little and ring fingers, radial (?) nerve supplies thumb, index and middle finger.) From this, you can work out what the likely cause of your problems is. The nerves go through "pinch points" and pressure on the heel of your hand will cause different symptoms to pinching the nerve by holding your wrist/shoulder/elbow at an uncomfortable angle.
Have a look at my basic bike fitting guide linked in my signature strip.......its important to limit the weight on your hands,
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My left hand and arm go numb after about a couple of hours cycling. Always have done, and is the same no matter which bike I ride. Maybe going back 40years.

I find when driving for a while at the "ten to two" position that my left arm goes to sleep. I'm ready for it nowadays, and tend to drive at "half past two" just abut all the time. Cycling, I have to drop my left arm to allow the blood to go back. Once an hour or so.

I put it down to trapped nerves somewhere, could be the neck perhaps.

I actually don't care, as it's normal for me. No-one is physically perfect or symmetrical, so it shows - to me at least - that'm not a perfect specimen, and I reckon I'm as normal as everyone else.
Mick F. Cornwall
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

White finger? Best to get on-top of the issue before any damage is permanent.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Are you wearing gloves?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

most likely its a combination injury linked to several things, the nerve runs through the shoulder and elbow, strain in either or both can cause numb hands. also carpal tunnel syndrome is linked in to the same nerve.

when I had tennis elbow my left hand was like a flipper and it took 8 months before I could sign my name.

improving your shoulder/elbow strength is a start as muscle will support the joint and ease pressure on the nerves but simpler to improve your padding so foam with tape over the top and better padded gloves. worktop/doorway press ups while waiting for the kettle to boil is usually enough to get things improving or some resistance bands/old innertubes do the trick. improve your hands with grip exercises as well.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Are you wearing gloves?

The reason I asked is because I have noticed that when wearing a wrist watch, If I have my glove closure to tight you can get tingling and numbness and can't even chance gear as my thumb's gone so dead.

When you place hand on bars your hand palm / back is not parallel to your lower arm, this is not natural, makes an ankle of 120 degrees between hand body and lower arm.
When wrist is bent like this, (whether drop's or straight bar / tops) any closure of gloves at wrist bend gets tighter!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The gel tape is a good idea. Maybe play around with the angle of the brake tops. And don't have the front tyre pumped up to the max. (Not too soft either, of course). And make a habit of moving hand position regularly, even if only for thirty second spells somewhere else.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

I suffer exactly the same with numb hands but tingly fingers leading up to that point. It has helped to increase the handlebar height somewhat using a variable angle stem, thereby decreasing the pressure. But it doesn’t cure the problem, just delays the onset to about an hour. It used to take longer but I suspect age is eventually starting to catch up (60).

I did find a cure, albeit expensive. I’ve crossed over, for the most part, to the dark side and added a recumbent to the stable. Also helps with my back and neck.
cyclingmad

Post by cyclingmad »

I get this although not from cycling but when on computer for too long playing games.... its a circulation thing psotion your arm and hand so that blood can circulate better!
SamWarrenCycling

Post by SamWarrenCycling »

I had this problem when I cycled across India. I put it down to the unforgiving frame of my cyclocross, but since getting back on my road bike in the UK (which I have no problems on), I think it was actually because the bike was a little too long for me, and I was adopting the wrong position on the handlebars. My advice is to constantly try new things, that way you'll isolate the problem!!
softlips

Post by softlips »

Have you tried having a bike fit?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

It's a common affliction caused by compression/inflamation of the carpal tunnel which runs through your wrist. A friend has gone as far as surgery but at best that has offered short term release from the issue. It is nothing to do with blood flow (unlike white finger which is partially to do with circulation) but temporary restriction of the nerves.

On my ride yesterday I suffered the symptoms throughout the ride, moving the afflicted (LH) appendage was sufficient to overcome the numbness and there was no post ride discomfort. This was on the same bike with the same gloves as I rode at the weekend without any issue at all - clearly it's something other than bike fit causing it.

I would suggest trying different gloves or even the same closed less tightly. I find that less elbow bend is likely to be better and that riding on the tops quickly 'sorts' it out. The reason for it coming on well into a ride is largely due to fatigue, you will inevitably gradually put more weight onto your hands as your arms tire - particularly on poor surfaces.

As to long term treatment, well there possibly isn't anything that will fix it once and for all, anti inflammatory drugs can help but who wants to take them all the time?

Let us know if you find anything that works!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

softlips wrote:Have you tried having a bike fit?

Read the OP?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!