Continuing pain in my knees .... help..please.

TrevA

Re: Continuing pain in my knees .... help..please.

Post by TrevA »

Started riding with new shoes and I'm getting knee pain on the outside of my left knee. I normally ride toes out/heels in, but my new shoes seem to have the cleat screws in a different position. If I set my cleats up like they were on my old shoes, then my heels are bashing the cranks. I need to move the pedals out somehow. I'm riding Look Keos, so can't use pedal extenders, as my pedals have no flats and can only be fitted with an Allen key.

There's a little bit of pedal thread protruding on the inside of the crank, so there's plenty of thread to play with. Pedal washers are one option, but I need a fair bit of clearance. Since they are only 1mm wide, I need a few. Any issues with this? Any other options?

I could change back to SPD-SL which do have pedal flats and could then use extenders. Or I could change over to some like Speedplay. Can you get longer axles for Keos? I know you can for Speedplays.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Would filing the slots in the cleats give you enough clearance?
Can you drop the pedals to bits and (semi) permanently fit pedal extenders to the pedal spindle using (for example) a vice and epoxy?
Good enough to ride, but will come apart with warming?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Does the OP experience knee pain when walking/running, or is it just on the bike?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

531colin wrote:Would filing the slots in the cleats give you enough clearance?
Can you drop the pedals to bits and (semi) permanently fit pedal extenders to the pedal spindle using (for example) a vice and epoxy?
Good enough to ride, but will come apart with warming?

I've found some Exustar Look Keo copies which do have pedal flats on them, they are only £20. They might be worth a punt with the pedal extenders. I've also read that Look Keos have 16mm threads, whereas most pedals have 12mm threads, so in theory, I've got 4mm of extra thread to accommodate spacers.

I can't understand the problems I'm having. My previous Specialized Road Comp shoes were fine, but my new Giro shoes take my feet closer to the cranks. Perhaps I should have stuck with Specialized, but they've changed the design of their shoes and they don't fit as well.

I only get knee pain on the bike and only since I changed my shoes. I'm fine on my tourer which has toe clips and straps.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You need cleats with a degree of float, (off the top of my head you want the grey ones) changing the platform won't really change anything, your foot will still be in the same relative position.

I know it sounds a bit excessive but a bike fit could also help along with corrective insoles/cleat shims.

Your symptoms are quite common and often easily fixed.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Maybe use toe clips instead of cleats?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

bigjim wrote:Does the OP experience knee pain when walking/running, or is it just on the bike?

just cycling ,,,
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

MikeF wrote:Maybe use toe clips instead of cleats?

i ride with SPD pedals not the look / keo type .... lots of float
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.