Lung cancer & cycling

brychan

Lung cancer & cycling

Post by brychan »

Hi all

I was diagnosed with lung cancer 2yrs 6mths ago and have been taking afatinib regularly which has shrunk the cancer.

Since my diagnosis I put on 3 stone in weight. I had always had a mountain bike but just for convienence. Four months ago I decided to use it to keep fit & lose weight I started doing short rides of between 10 - 14 miles 3 times a week.

Two months ago I purchased a Boardman MX sport hybrid bike which I found lighter & easier to ride. I was originally 17stone 10lbs and in 4 months I am down to 16stone 7lbs, I have also increased my distances to 16 - 24 miles 4 times a week, My times are not great for example 16 miles takes me 1hr 15mins.

I know all cancers are not the same but through bike riding I feel a much better person.
bogmyrtle

Re: Lung cancer & cycling

Post by bogmyrtle »

Welcome. Sorry to hear about your illness.
There is nothing better than discovering the benefits that cycling brings.
Times don't matter.
Keep enjoying the experience. :D
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

after seeing lung cancer in my family just glad you are well enough to get on the bike and just enjoy it. Hopefully as you get better then you will see this beneficial in your fitness.

Good luck for your recovery from this terrible disease
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

And feeling "a much better person" must surely in itself be a real boost in your battle. Much respect due. Ride on.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Keep at it, and well done!

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma 14 years ago, rode all the way through 9 months of chemo (generally on the second week of the treatment cycle, the first i always felt too washed out). The strength and fitness helped me through, and riding kept me sane.