Heavy Bikes make for fitter cyclists???

al_yrpal

Re: Heavy Bikes make for fitter cyclists???

Post by al_yrpal »

My Mercian is almost identical to Micks. It weighs 10.98 kg. The extra is probably dirt. :lol:

Al

https://flic.kr/p/cvksKh
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What size is yours?
Mine is 23.5" 73deg parallel with close clearances and narrow seatstays.

Taken from a thread some years ago.
I've just striped my bike down and now have a bare frame and forks.

Mercian is due some maintenance and the frame needs a good cleaning. I like to do this every 6 to 9 months or so, it gives a chance to check everything minutely. The frame gets a polishing with car wax before reassembly.

I took the opportunity to weigh the frame and the forks. We've had questions on here before with folk trying to identify a frame to see if it's "exotic" of "gaspipe". Weight is a good indicator.

For the record:
My frame is 531c, 23.5", 73deg parallel.
Frame weighs 2170g
Forks weigh 692g
F+F is 2,862g

Notes:
The head tube still has the headset fixed cups in place, as do the forks.
Electronic kitchen scales may not be dead-on accurate, but the figures must be fairly reasonable.
I don't strip it so often these days, now I have Moulton which I ride more often than Mercian.
Mick F. Cornwall
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

My 80s 24.5 inch 531 framed Harry Halls weigh about 11kg with a Rolls Saddle, DT shifters,SPDs and 36 spoke Weinmann wheels. But they are tight frames for the time, though they do take guards. Interesting to know what bike the OP has.
A new Btwin Triban 500 with Ali frame and Carbon fork comes in at 11KG without pedals and guards.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:What size is yours?
Mine is 23.5" 73deg parallel with close clearances and narrow seatstays.

Its 22 1/2" , made for my brother, not me.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
drossall

Post by drossall »

bigjim wrote:I'd like to know what 531 framed bike weighs 10kg?

I'm pretty sure that's what I weighed my Aende road bike at, years ago when I rode it competitively (for certain values of "competitive").

This thread on roadbikereview suggests that that is not particularly remarkable.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

IIRC, one of the biggest weight savings in true racing bikes came with the move from leather to plastic saddles. Also IIRC, the Unica Nitor was the first successful example, owing much of that to one Eddy Mercx who was renowned for his attention to detail (as in obsession) with saddles.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

drossall wrote:
bigjim wrote:I'd like to know what 531 framed bike weighs 10kg?

I'm pretty sure that's what I weighed my Aende road bike at, years ago when I rode it competitively (for certain values of "competitive").

This thread on roadbikereview suggests that that is not particularly remarkable.

I have one of the Raleigh team bikes from the early 90s. 25" 853 steel frame and very tight clearances. It comes in complete incl spds at just under 10kg. However it is running DT levers with Chargespoon saddle,Tiagra chainset, brakes and mechs plus Shimano R500 wheels. So the components are probably more to do with the complete weight than the actual frame.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

save your money and lose 2kg of weight
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

your fitness flattens out so the weight makes little difference until you suddenly get a lot lighter for a short period of time - dating myself but Rob Millar shooting away on his Peugeot carbon fibre bike in the 84 tour de france when carbon bikes were brand new and specially for the mountain stages there the loss of 2kg for the day made a huge difference. now it seems to be cadence and gears with froome riding with an 11-34 cluster

you'll notice it at first but then it fades away, I haven't got my head around people who only club ride spending thousands to shave off a kilo. its as bad as the titanium craze with MTBs in the 90s

My brother spent 2k building up a vitus alu frame with dura ace back then very high spec but he still couldn't shake me off on my 500 quid steel framed marin palisades trail set up for commuting and touring so slicks and racks. he should have wiped me out being younger and supposedly fitter with more money than sense.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Well having read all the contributions to this thread I find myself agreeing with both sides of the debate. Yes my Tourer is far more comfortable than my Racer but even though its only marginal I love going that little bit faster and riding hills that bit easier.
Since I have had the Tourer I have just found it to be hard work.
I have sought advice on here quite often about gearing and experimented with both a 44t & 48t chain sets but as Brucey told me it just changing these moves the problem to another area.
As a final throw of the dice I have ordered a 46,36,26 Chain Set from Spa so when that arrives tomorrow I will fit it and see whether I have reached the top of the mountain when it comes to achieving speed with comfort.
I cannot help but think though that I am probably seeking something that may be unobtainable !.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My SPA is now fitted with 34 single front ring with 11 - 32 cassette ..... works for the areas I ride in, South Yorks, Notts / Lincs Plain and West Cornwall.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Patrickpioneer

Re: 2kg weight difference

Post by Patrickpioneer »

fatbelly33 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I can't do hills really because whenever I do hills then my knees ache the next day, whereas if I stick to the flat my knees are mostly fine (its no fun getting old)

think about buying lower gears for the bike you have if your having knee problems on the hills.
Vorpal

Re: 2kg weight difference

Post by Vorpal »

Patrickpioneer wrote:
fatbelly33 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I can't do hills really because whenever I do hills then my knees ache the next day, whereas if I stick to the flat my knees are mostly fine (its no fun getting old)

think about buying lower gears for the bike you have if your having knee problems on the hills.

I agree with this. Whether upgrading, or buying a new bike, look for lower gearing. And maybe get a fitting.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom