"Well man" clinics

eileithyia

Re: "Well man" clinics

Post by eileithyia »

Interesting topic, tbh have not trawled through all the answers.
I fully understand that we think we are fit etc. However recently at least 3 of my cycling friends (fit, time trial etc) have had heart arrythmia issues. So maybe a fit clinic might pick up these problems. Likewise with 'borderline' diabetes, I know quite a few fit healthy types who have developed type 2 as life progresses, one was a serious mountaineer and put it down to some of the dietary foods they carried.

We can all think we know we are Ok without really knowing if something is going on underneath until it really gets up and bites.
As a 'carer' I have recently had a health check, this is something local carers have fought for, to ensure carers receive a regular free health check. Yes I know I am fairly fit and healthy, but felt it did no harm to attend, after all if the service is poorly taken up it could be removed.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
softlips

Post by softlips »

eileithyia wrote:Interesting topic, tbh have not trawled through all the answers.
I fully understand that we think we are fit etc. However recently at least 3 of my cycling friends (fit, time trial etc) have had heart arrythmia issues. So maybe a fit clinic might pick up these problems. Likewise with 'borderline' diabetes, I know quite a few fit healthy types who have developed type 2 as life progresses, one was a serious mountaineer and put it down to some of the dietary foods they carried.

The slower your resting HR the higher the incidence of arrhythmias.

T2 DM is usually caused by internal fat. It's possible to be thin but have a high visceral fat. This is the reason we now see extreme dieting reversing T2DM.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

softlips wrote:T2 DM is usually caused by internal fat.

No it is not, T2D is caused by excess sugar and then the sugar is turned into fat via insulin. T2 is simply too much sugar for insulin to cope with and the mechanism breaks down.

Worried about T2 - stop eating first anything with sugar added to it then look at natural sugars, for instance a glass of filtered OJ is basically the same as Coke