Porridge: love or hate? Vote now please!

Do you love porridge?

Yes I have it every day
36%
Yes if offered, e.g. at a YH or BB
3%
2-6 times a week
28%
Not more than once a week
13%
Only in winter/in Scotland
10%
Only when visiting the grandparents
1%
No, I hate it
6%
Not tried it yet
No votes
No opinion / what is porridge?
1%

Total votes: 67

Paulatic

Re: Porridge: love or hate?

Post by Paulatic »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
mnichols wrote:Anyone have savoury porridge, I.e., with vegetables or similar? Could be a quick, easy, healthy midday meal option. I’ve heard it’s becoming more popular

My lentil soup was too thin once so I added porridge to it
I make lentil soup from scratch with lots of vegs, takes an hour, keeps a couple of days and can be warmed up in the microwave
I always include oats in soup for variety of nutrient types

I always keep a jar of oat flour (rolled oats whizzed up in grinder) to hand. Anything, gravy or sauce, looking a bit thin I put some of the flour in. Beauty of it over wheat flour is that it never goes lumpy.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Made myself a vegetarian curry yesterday but needed a thickening agent and was out of flour and instant mash potato which I often use as a thickener for the sauce so just used a few oats. Did the job very well and did not impact the flavour.

I love porridge but recently I've been trying to remove as much sugar from my diet as possible and so no longer have treacle in the house which I love with porridge and instead using some of the sugary dandruff (Canderel) and its not the same and doesn't seem as effective at sweetening porridge for some reason as it does with other foods.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

mnichols wrote:Anyone have savoury porridge, I.e., with vegetables or similar? Could be a quick, easy, healthy midday meal option. I’ve heard it’s becoming more popular

I have a friend who is gluten intolerant and I've used oatmeal as a substitute for corn or wheat flour. It makes a very good cheese sauce for cauliflower cheese
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Love it, my fave is with grated nutmeg and I usually have 50g of oats for a sitting :mrgreen:

I use full fat milk at home so do half milk and water, add 4 sweetners (I've been having them for 20+ years so it's just my thing), microwave it in a big glass casserole dish for 3.5 minutes, stir, microwave for another 2 minutes (so full rolling boil), leave to stand for 3 minutes or so and bingo. I eat it straight from the casserole dish, pointless making extra washing up.
Rarely have it for breakfast though as I've never really been a breakfast eater since a kid, I will if staying at a hotel and enjoy it but I won't eat until much later in the evening then.
I made porridge for my cycling buddies when supporting them on RAID alpine this year, t'was the instant stuff but at the top of Cime de la Bonnette it was a welcome hot snack (took my butane stove an age to boil a kettles worth mind)
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Bonzo Banana wrote:Made myself a vegetarian curry yesterday but needed a thickening agent and was out of flour and instant mash potato which I often use as a thickener for the sauce so just used a few oats. Did the job very well and did not impact the flavour.

I love porridge but recently I've been trying to remove as much sugar from my diet as possible and so no longer have treacle in the house which I love with porridge and instead using some of the sugary dandruff (Canderel) and its not the same and doesn't seem as effective at sweetening porridge for some reason as it does with other foods.

Chucking some rice into the sauce would work too, especially the stuff with more starch in it.

I use tablet sweetner, I don't find it too bad but been using them for a very long time so used to the taste, even when I do use sugar I don't really notice much of a difference. grated carrot can work too to a lesser degree for sweetness and was used in cakes in WWII to replace some sugar content. Parsnips too but perhaps not to everyone's taste in porridge :lol:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I find that if I make it and put it in a bigger bowl than usual, invert myself and carefully lower my head into it, it makes a more than acceptable helmet after a couple of hours or so. You may have seen me prototyping using a microwave last week. I'm now working on including some hi-viz in the porridge as I've heard that's important in road safety matters.

Yours almost entirely randomly...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:I find that if I make it and put it in a bigger bowl than usual, invert myself and carefully lower my head into it, it makes a more than acceptable helmet after a couple of hours or so. You may have seen me prototyping using a microwave last week. I'm now working on including some hi-viz in the porridge as I've heard that's important in road safety matters.

Have you patented your ideas? :wink:

Could be a very lucrative idea
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I find that if I make it and put it in a bigger bowl than usual, invert myself and carefully lower my head into it, it makes a more than acceptable helmet after a couple of hours or so. You may have seen me prototyping using a microwave last week. I'm now working on including some hi-viz in the porridge as I've heard that's important in road safety matters.

Have you patented your ideas? :wink:

Could be a very lucrative idea

Pardon? Sorry, am having a little trouble with my prototype at the moment - a slight porridge-ear interface issue. You couldn't just give the Fire Brigade a call could you?

ETA
Just a bit worried they might miss me.

I've been inside and put on my blue jumper - can you let them know it's the man wearing the blue jumper please.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Its repeated on "Yesterday" if your interested, forgotten how funny it was :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Its repeated on "Yesterday" if your interested, forgotten how funny it was :)

It's in my top 3. Utter genius.

I often refer to my having had a blue jumper moment. It's a delight when someone gets it first off.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Why is there no monument
To Porridge in our land?
It it's good enough to eat,
It's good enough to stand!

On a plinth in London
A statue we should see
Of Porridge made in Scotland
Signed, "Oatmeal, O.B.E."
(By a young dog of three)

Spike Milligan
RichK

Post by RichK »

It's my staple food two hours before a time trial ;)
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

I do love porridge,especially with the many varieties of extras you can add so it’s not monotonous, personally it’s more of a winter food for me.

The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world’s most complicated problems.
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

SmilerGB wrote:I do love porridge,especially with the many varieties of extras you can add so it’s not monotonous, personally it’s more of a winter food for me.

The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world’s most complicated problems.

Porridge is a simple solution...
It could displace bread
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Not a great fan. Requires heating, prefer muesli as that does not require heating. If it is very cold then I might go for it and a hot cup of tea. But I'd rather not fuss with stove etc when I'm going to pack up.