Porridge: love or hate? Vote now please!

Do you love porridge?

Yes I have it every day
36%
Yes if offered, e.g. at a YH or BB
3%
2-6 times a week
28%
Not more than once a week
13%
Only in winter/in Scotland
10%
Only when visiting the grandparents
1%
No, I hate it
6%
Not tried it yet
No votes
No opinion / what is porridge?
1%

Total votes: 67

Cyril Haearn

Re: Porridge: love or hate?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One sweats more in summer, so I add salt
I am often surprised how much the oats swell up, sometimes I cannae finish my porridge early
No problem, I add the leftovers to my evening muesli :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One sweats more in summer, so I add salt
I am often surprised how much the oats swell up, sometimes I cannae finish my porridge early
No problem, I add the leftovers to my evening muesli :wink:

I can't remember the last time I shook salt on anything; or added it to the cooked stuff. Nothing bad seems to have happened as a result, despite the fact that I am often a-drip in sweat. Mind, this occurs in summer, autumn, winter, spring and every other season, even the current winter-in-June. Perhaps it's all the the merino I wear?

One reads that a decent diet has more than enough of the various salts. Also that too much salt is a catalyst for all sorts of imbalances, shading into illnesses. Do you feel a craving or is it just a theoretical thing, this summer-sweat = consume more salt?

As to salt upon my porridge.....! Waiter! Get me some unadulterated oaty goo, with nut, seed and fruit but none o' that sea-tang!

Cugel

PS This morning I have just finished consuming an Arbroath smokie, which does have a bit of sea in it. Unlike the wee bones, you can't pick it out.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Porridge is the only food I add salt too, tastes better with but I mostly go without. Plenty of salt in cheese etc
Sweating a lot cycling to and from work, must top up other minerals too
Thread drift alert: how should summer and winter diets differ?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Porridge is the only food I add salt too, tastes better with but I mostly go without. Plenty of salt in cheese etc

Avoid strawberries in December, as they are much too expensive then. In late summer and early autumn, you can pick lots of things for free, including mushrooms. But watch out for The Destroying Angel (Amanita Muscaria).

During all months with any letters in them, avoid MacFud, brown yank-drank (as well as all the other colours of their "soda") and those cakes with one pound of icing on the top and one gram of synthetic whipped "cream" in the middle.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Porridge is the only food I add salt too, tastes better with but I mostly go without. Plenty of salt in cheese etc

I eat less cake in winter because I do less cycling. Cake is sometimes a reward for skiing, though it's more likely to be waffles with jam, which is the typical snack available at cabins on the ski trails in Norway.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One sweats so much in summer, what is the best way to replenish lost minerals &c?
Please do not suggest isotonic drinks :?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One sweats so much in summer, what is the best way to replenish lost minerals &c?
Please do not suggest isotonic drinks :?

A seaweed sandwich, with a glass of seawater.

On the other hand, a good diet of vegetables, leaves and froot will do it, although you must eat lots and have a peg ready for your nose.

Cugel, sweating up a few hills this afternoon, still in full cover mode with a merino base layer an' all - in late June!
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Why do some people find porridge disgusting? It does not even have a strong smell and no-one is forced to consume it
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad has an article about porridge, suggesting it may be made without oats :?
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Grauniad has an article about porridge, suggesting it may be made without oats :?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/oct/03/super-bowl-eight-delicious-porridge-without-using-oats

"But porridge does not stop with oats, which is good news for anyone scarred by a childhood of lumpen grey gloop. The world over, you find cereal grains and starchy plants chopped, ground, rolled or otherwise processed and boiled in water (or milk, or stock) until they release their starches and thicken into something creamy. "

So whatever it is, it is starch/carbohydrate heavy.
Not good for a T2 diabetic.
Which is sad, because I used to love porridge with golden syrup. :(
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The Norwegian word for porridge, grøt, is used for several hot, tcreamy dishes. Rice, oats, mixed grains, and even sour cream (rømmegrøt) are cooked into porridge and usually served with cinnmon, sugar, and butter.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Extract below from Livestrong.com which has lots of good cycling/nutrition articles.Wonder if any relation to Lance Armstrong. Note some CUK'S just boil water and add. Seeds and Nuts add heathy fats. This eliminates the BIGGEST problem cleaning out the pan after boiling.
The most common energy source is bread porridge is better

"Foods lower in energy density, or calories per gram, tend to be good for weight and fat loss. These foods fill you up with fewer calories, making it easier to create the calorie deficit you need to lose weight. Oatmeal has a lower energy density than bread, with 0.7 calorie per gram compared to 2.5 for whole-wheat bread and 2.6 for white bread. A study published in the "European Journal of Clinical Nutrition" in 1995 found that oatmeal really is more filling than bread. This study created a satiety index on which oatmeal made with milk had a score of 209, compared to a score of 100 for white bread and 157 for whole-grain bread."
gekko21

Post by gekko21 »

I make my porridge in the evening and let the grains soak in the milk overnight. That way, it only needs 2.5 mins in the microwave on full power. No pans to soak and clean afterwards. I used to think I didn't like porridge until I had some from a place that made it with soya milk. After that I realised that soya or almond milk instead of cow's milk (which I love to drink on its own or in tea) made all the difference for me. A typical recipe for me would be:

1 cup of mixed grains (I always use Flahavan's oats and usually add rye flakes)
Sprinkle of dessicated or flaked coconut
Dried gogi berries and or dates
2-3 cups of soya milk

Soak overnight and cook on full power in the microwave for 2.5 mins.

Add whatever fruit got delivered in my veg box that week. If no fresh fruit left, throw on some berries from the freezer. Eat with a mug of black coffee made in my Melitta filter machine with the timer set so it's just finishing brewing as I come down the stairs.

Sometimes, I'll add some vanilla extract. Sometimes I slice apple very finely and add it before soaking overnight. Sometimes I add nuts or chia seeds.

This week, we are having a break from cooked porridge and I'm doing overnight bircher:

1 cup of mixed grains
2 cups of apple juice
Dried gogi berries and dates

Soak overnight and in the morning add a large spoonful of natural yoghurt and sliced banana.

Everything is timed to perfection for minimum fuss. Up at 06.30, feed cat / breakfast at 07.00, out the door at 07.25 to make my train. Cycle from mainline station to office. More coffee on arrival and am set up for the morning ahead.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Simple porridge for me
Coarse oats, lots of water, three minutes death rays, stir vigorously with a fork or spurtle, leave overnight and warm up in the morning

Vocab
Superbowl = porridge :wink:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Jellykiss wrote:I really hate porridge. Oatmeal is probably more boring than anything else.

Does you moniker here indicate that you have a love for the gelatin-based foodstuffs? I confess that such fare is not greatly to my own taste, perhaps because my early porridge experiences were always pleasant, whilst being forced to eat a jellied eel, or something equally squidgy with cow-hoof, is something of trial for a bairn that isn't starving at the time of such an ingestion.

Now, I must mention that hate of a foodstuff is perhaps going a bit far. The porridge cannot help being porridge and your evil glances or shouts at it to go back to where it came from cannot help either you or the porridge. Perhaps I could recommend that you throttle back on the emotions applied to the foodstuffs so that you merely dislike them or "prefer something else". Your boredom with the oatmeal is a good example of a more measured approach to foodstuffs you find offensive.

Of course, we can exclude real villains such as MacFud items and polystyrene bread, which are the work of the devil and should be burnt in a ritual fashion (sometimes are, if the MacJobber is inept). I often feel like standing outside a MacFud trough, accosting those about to go in with tales of how the things in there will give them rot 'o the nether if they are unwise enough to swallow any. I have resisted the urge in case I am locked up by evil psycho-analists employed by MacFud Inc for the purpose. Oh yes they are!

Cugel, awaiting a bowl of porridge at this very moment.
John Maynard Keynes