Porridge: love or hate? Vote now please!

Do you love porridge?

Yes I have it every day
36%
Yes if offered, e.g. at a YH or BB
3%
2-6 times a week
28%
Not more than once a week
13%
Only in winter/in Scotland
10%
Only when visiting the grandparents
1%
No, I hate it
6%
Not tried it yet
No votes
No opinion / what is porridge?
1%

Total votes: 67

DNC123

Re: Porridge: love or hate?

Post by DNC123 »

Just had mine. Very nice.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

There is no need to soak oatmeal overnight. Better just used as is when it has a better texture. Just a pinch of salt needed but have got by without any and certainly no horrors like sugar or other additives. Just eat with milk which is best creamy but again have managed ok when there was none available.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I had some porridge left over so thought I would try my visiting squirrel on it. It seemed to like it gobbling some of it down
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mercalia wrote:I had some porridge left over so thought I would try my visiting squirrel on it. It seemed to like it gobbling some of it down

I had a cat which liked porridge. She came running when she heard me scrape the pan.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Even with just oats and water there are so many different ways to make porridge
I use coarse oats, a bit of fine oats, a bit of oatmeal, not too much water
No need to make it the night before but it does need to be stirred
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I've recently fallen under the spell of this glutenous delight. I don't weigh or measure apart from using a small tumbler with a 2:5 ratio of porridge to whole milk and a spoonful of honey - all cooked on the hob (lowest gas on the smallest ring) for about 25 minutes. Very filling.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
paulipedia

Post by paulipedia »

I'm still waiting for winter
tmac100

Post by tmac100 »

Made some last night. Oatmeal, some peanuts, 2 chopped apricots and some golden raisins. Hot water ( ok it was boiling) and on the hot stove element with residual heat on the turned-off element. Stirred until boiling stopped, then left it. An hour later I added more boiling water later (too thick).

This morning I put 1/3 cup in a bowl then microwaved it for 60 sec. Yogurt, some Ayran and a ripe "lady finger". Yummy! 3 hours later my blood sugar was great! Oatmeal works for this Type 1 diabetic - I just exercise portion control ...

Thd rest is in the 'fridge for tomorrow.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One imagines Robert Burns liked porridge, he was born on 25.1.1759

Some hae meat and canna eat,
and some wad eat that want it.
But we hae meat and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Porridge for breakfast today, made in half water & half milk, served with a generous lump of butter & maple syrup. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
tmac100

Post by tmac100 »

Vorpal wrote:Porridge for breakfast today, made in half water & half milk, served with a generous lump of butter & maple syrup. 8)

The porridge with some maple syrup sounds like what a Type 1 needs after bicycling for "a while". Good any time of day. :D
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

I ate porridge in most of incarnations almost every day for 3 years.
The one positive effect of this was weight loss, probably induced by the slightly nauseous brick balloon sensation it often left behind after consumption. I don't miss having the bowel habits of a python either. This was likely caused by forgetting to drink extra fluids - because too much soluble fibre such as scoffing oats everyday really dries out the intestines.
In my opinion it's only fit for Jeremy Corbyn who thinks he can subdue the Proletariat with it, feeding those on death row and building Hobbit houses.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

windmiller wrote:I ate porridge in most of incarnations almost every day for 3 years.
The one positive effect of this was weight loss, probably induced by the slightly nauseous brick balloon sensation it often left behind after consumption. I don't miss having the bowel habits of a python either. This was likely caused by forgetting to drink extra fluids - because too much soluble fibre such as scoffing oats everyday really dries out the intestines.
In my opinion it's only fit for Jeremy Corbyn who thinks he can subdue the Proletariat with it, feeding those on death row and building Hobbit houses.

Ah ha! The mystery of your irascible conduct is solved: insufficient porridge; porridge consumed in an incorrect manner.

On the other hand, there could be other factors causing your queer views and all those jaundiced remarks. To test the possibility, why not eat more and regular porridge prepared well and consumed in the proper manner? If you suddenly discover that your list of good and bad things has flip-flopped, you will know that it was only your inadequate porridge-poor diet at fault.

So .... rolled oat or even the pin stuff, mixed with good quality cow-juice and plenty of aggregate in the form of chopped mixed nut, dried froot and even your toenail clippings. Wash it down with proper coffee made from the bean rather than got from the papfud shop in the form of dried cowclap.

Cugel, amateur dietician 5th class.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Cugel wrote:
windmiller wrote:I ate porridge in most of incarnations almost every day for 3 years.

Ah ha! The mystery of your irascible conduct is solved: insufficient porridge; porridge consumed in an incorrect manner.

On the other hand, there could be other factors causing your queer views and all those jaundiced remarks. To test the possibility, why not eat more and regular porridge prepared well and consumed in the proper manner? If you suddenly discover that your list of good and bad things has flip-flopped, you will know that it was only your inadequate porridge-poor diet at fault.

So .... rolled oat or even the pin stuff, mixed with good quality cow-juice and plenty of aggregate in the form of chopped mixed nut, dried froot and even your toenail clippings. Wash it down with proper coffee made from the bean rather than got from the papfud shop in the form of dried cowclap.

Perhaps you are Obadiah the hermit who regularly sprinkles liberal amounts of dried Russula emetica on his porridge, if so this would explain much about you.

Now be a good chap and scamper off - before I inform Van helsing that you inhabit the caves of this forum.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

windmiller wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Perhaps you are Obadiah the hermit who regularly sprinkles liberal amounts of dried Russula emetica on your porridge, if so this would explain much about you.

Now be a good chap and scamper off - before I inform Van helsing that you inhabit the caves of this forum.

There are East European nations wherein russula emetica serves to provide the pepper. This is why many of them are a bit mad. Well .... it might be that they're confusing the RE with fly agaric.

Generally I find that plenty of roughage is a great reliever of the mental stresses and the associated compulsion to emit intemperate bursts of speech at all and sundry whilst waving ones arms about wildly. ("Windmilling", I believe it's called). The intemperations go the other way, following a series of borborgym. Out goes an eructation to rearward, where no one need be caught in the blast.

Mind, the collies often leave the room, as they are down there below, reclining on their sheepskins, which is the closest they get to a sheep.

Anyroadup, why not have a big bowl of porridge for breakfast tomorrow morn? Try keeping it in its place by following up with a large and juicy kipper. I had one just this morning myself, with a large an succulent roast tomato. I enjoyed it for some hours, as it resisted my savage digestive process.

Cugel, planning two soft boiled eggs with soldiers tomorrow morning.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes