Porridge: love or hate? Vote now please!

Do you love porridge?

Yes I have it every day
36%
Yes if offered, e.g. at a YH or BB
3%
2-6 times a week
28%
Not more than once a week
13%
Only in winter/in Scotland
10%
Only when visiting the grandparents
1%
No, I hate it
6%
Not tried it yet
No votes
No opinion / what is porridge?
1%

Total votes: 67

Cuddly Ocelot

Re: Porridge: love or hate?

Post by Cuddly Ocelot »

Lovely stuff especially when you add a teaspoon of Whisky whilst it is being made.
Our streets are littered with expensive, rotting and polluting tin cans obstructing the free passage of pedestrians, horses, cyclists and motor vehicles
whoof

Post by whoof »

3/4 mug of oats with a mug of milk, 2 minutes in the microwave then stir and another minute. With a teaspoon of golden syrup and a little single cream on top. I don't find it takes very long to make or eat, the time between getting up and leaving the house in the morning is 20 -25 minutes.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I make my porridge with jumbo oats these days. Far nicer than the normal porridge oats.

Ian
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Oats and big teaspoon of chocky spread. 3 minutes in microwave and done. Must be solid enough not to move if dish in inverted. Have been substituting honey but funnily enough 3 minutes isn't enough to produce cooked oats.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I once lived with a Rayburn and discovered the joys of porridge made overnight in a warming oven. Now, using more efficient equipment, I've settled on the following: 300ml whole* milk, 200ml water and 80g oatmeal in a pan, left for about 40 mins on a ring warm enough to let it simmer for most of that time. Stir, add 1 banana and (optionally) some salt, and serve.

I find oatmeal goes further (in at least two senses) and tastes better than rolled oats, but it also costs more and needs more cooking.

*That's how the supermarket describes the thin, white liquid I've been using lately. (I kept Jerseys until last spring, they dramatically changed my perception of what constitutes "milk". :D ) Oh, and 500ml "semi-skimmed" with no extra water works just as well.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Psamathe wrote:I make my porridge with jumbo oats these days. Far nicer than the normal porridge oats.
Can't make it any worse. :lol:

Pastychomper wrote:I once lived with a Rayburn and discovered the joys of porridge made overnight in a warming oven.
We do stews and slow roasts in our Stanley Traditional plus we've had two Rayburns in the past.

We give objects names, and have done for many a long year. We have a long list ......... so don't ask!

First Rayburn was Nancy Rayburn, and the second one Ronnie Rayburn.
The Stanley Traditional, is called Stanley. Just like this one from Google.
51801980be770ade94ce1acded66c5e5--stoves-range-cooker-antique-kitchen-stoves.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

1:1:1 of oats:milk:water plus after cooked a little sugrar, in the microwave - have to keep an eye on it when it starts to rise in the containern
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Paulatic wrote:Always made purely with water usually soaked overnight. Pan on the hob and use a spurtle. I did try microwave for a while but it’s a different result. I usually add raspberries and sometimes a fruit nut and seeds mix.

I had to wikicheck "spurtle", it is a wooden implement for stirring porridge, read about the world porridge championship too, +1

Porridge is like cycling I think: simple and perfect
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

mercalia wrote:1:1:1 of oats:milk:water plus after cooked a little sugrar, in the microwave - have to keep an eye on it when it starts to rise in the containern

My method too tho I use honey instead of sugar. It does have an unfortunate tendency to ooze out of the bowl if I don't time it quite right which amuses my other half no end!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Always made purely with water usually soaked overnight. Pan on the hob and use a spurtle. I did try microwave for a while but it’s a different result. I usually add raspberries and sometimes a fruit nut and seeds mix.

I had to wikicheck "spurtle", it is a wooden implement for stirring porridge, read about the world porridge championship too, +1

Porridge is like cycling I think: simple and perfect

Possibly a bit like coffee making too. Reading the thread everyone seems to have their own quantities and ritual. By the sound of some I think I’d pass on the offer of a bowl. :D
My own ritual 1/3 cup oats 1 cup water
Bring to the boil, stir, throw in some frozen raspberries, put a lid on and turn off the heat.
Standing, as with a lot of cooking is essential, I leave for at least 5 minutes while I make my coffee and toast
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A porridge expert from Wales advises:
Use plenty of water, too much is better than too little, then the porridge should not explode. If the product is too watery just add a few more oats
softlips

Post by softlips »

Don't use any water!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

softlips wrote:Have it everyday made with milk, no salt or sugar. Proper porridge oats, used to have oat so simple but prefer the real stuff and it's better health wise.

I'm in hotels most mornings in the week and find the porridge varies enormously.

Would you care to describe the varieties of hotel porridge?
Diolch yn fawr iawn
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have ALDI's version of "Oat So Simple" with a small banana chopped up into it with red milk ....
2 minutes in the microwave at 800W and a good breakfast is had.
The more steps, the harder it is to actually achieve your porridge, because you set the rules, the more you enjoy the process of production ....rather than the actual food... i think ..
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:I have ALDI's version of "Oat So Simple" with a small banana chopped up into it with red milk ....
2 minutes in the microwave at 800W and a good breakfast is had.
The more steps, the harder it is to actually achieve your porridge, because you set the rules, the more you enjoy the process of production ....rather than the actual food... i think ..

What is red milk please?