Porridge: love or hate? Vote now please!

Do you love porridge?

Yes I have it every day
36%
Yes if offered, e.g. at a YH or BB
3%
2-6 times a week
28%
Not more than once a week
13%
Only in winter/in Scotland
10%
Only when visiting the grandparents
1%
No, I hate it
6%
Not tried it yet
No votes
No opinion / what is porridge?
1%

Total votes: 67

Oldjohnw

Re: Porridge: love or hate? Vote now please!

Post by Oldjohnw »

simonineaston wrote:I'm a fan of Flahavan's too - and even better - I get to go round Waitrose, pretending to be middle-class!

I don't need to travel 50 +miles to my nearest Waitrose. Tesco carries it. :)
John
Ray

Post by Ray »

simonineaston wrote:I'm a fan of Flahavan's too - and even better - I get to go round Waitrose, pretending to be middle-class!

Pretty certain we have in the past bought Flahavan's in Aldi**. No pretensions of social-climbing there!

(There certainly is something about Waitrose. Not just the guacamole, avocados etc, even the language is different. I've only visited one Waitrose - none for miles around here - and was delighted to note that the 'express' queues were marked "Ten items or fewer", whereas elsewhere you tend to see "Ten items or less". Excellent.

**(although it may be one of their own brands similarly packaged?)
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What is special or different about the fancy oats? I have generally bought the cheapest rough oats I could find

+1 for proper grammar on signs, and Welsh signs too :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What is special or different about the fancy oats? I have generally bought the cheapest rough oats I could find

+1 for proper grammar on signs, and Welsh signs too :wink:

Try them.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Debs wrote:Image

Just started a trial run with Flahavan's. Very nice and very yummy :D

A little bit dearer than Scots or Quakers but quality rarely comes cheap.

May have to stock up with a dozen bags before we fall over the Brexit cliff...

Been using this for a couple of years. The best by far, if somewhat more expensive.

I use their Jumbo Oats variant. But some packs have a lot of husks in so I switched to Jordan's Jumbo Oats but now on home deliveries Sainsbury don't do Jordans so back on Flahavan's.

Whilst I do like porridge, I very much prefer it made with Jumbo Oats.

Ian
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Revisited this thread to see what has changed. By gum, there are some wierdos here :lol: Brand for breakfast for goodness sake!
As its now cold and damp at 6am I have swapped to porridge again. Summer breakfast is cheap and cheerful chocy pillows from the kids section.
Thinking of alternative toppings. As a Scottish food I suspect that a splash of malt might work. Or maybe rum? Might be tricky to get her ladyship out of bed to open the locked cupboard for that though. I shall ask :lol: Bet it would set me up for the 10 mile bike commute through the woods , fighting off the boar.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As a Scottish food
This remark started off a train of thought to do with Celts / marginalised people having to make do with poor-quality food eg oats and so haggis, bulking out the unwanted remains of sheep carcasses, with oats yaddayadda, but when I turned to look for recipes using oats from say Cornwall or Breizhe, oats seem to take a step back. Brittany has its own famous ancient grain of course - buckwheat. But oats? Nope... Never come across a buckwheat porridge, although there are plenty of references to it, for example, here.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Post by PH »

mattsccm wrote: Or maybe rum?

Rum soaked raisins are a real treat, doesn't need to be many, or much rum, to flavour the porridge.
On my to try list is Christmas porridge, cooked with a spoonful on mincemeat, I'm so tempted but don't want to buy a whole jar so might rob the filling out of a mince pie.
PH

Post by PH »

simonineaston wrote:
As a Scottish food
This remark started off a train of thought to do with Celts / marginalised people having to make do with poor-quality food eg oats and so haggis, bulking out the unwanted remains of sheep carcasses, with oats yaddayadda,

Apologies if this has already been posted, possibly by me! I'm not reading back to check!

In Samuel Johnson's dictionary the entry for Oats is "A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people."
To which some Scottish wit replied that was the reason the English have better horses and the Scots better men.

That and plenty of other nuggets came from a book called something like "The little book of porridge" I gave my copy away thinking I'd pick up another, but can't find one or any reference to it :?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

That and plenty of other nuggets came from a book called something like "The little book of porridge" I gave my copy away thinking I'd pick up another, but can't find one or any reference to it :?
Cool! I shall look out for out :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Every day for me

Porridge pots for work Monday to Friday, then at weekends a small cup of porridge oats added to a crunched up Shredded Wheat with a slack handful of dried fruit and topped with hot milk.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

There isn't an option for: Like it.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

There is a box of mince pies next to the porridge box in the kitchen. Better amalgamate them tomorrow morning.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

One of the most versatile breakfast dishes.

I switch between traditional sweetened porridge, fancy stuff with fruit & honey and Bircher muesli based on oats.

Great for taking on holiday too. I've been on cycling trips where the breakfast shop is usually sugar loaded crap cereals. I've usually got some oats hidden away.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One for porridge, Plus Two for Muesli, a sort of porridge (PSO, porridge-shaped object?)
I have rediscovered Muesli, healthy, filling, quick, whats not to love? Cobbled it together myself of course, I do not buy ready Muesli, not even from EasyNosh

Plus Three for this thread, bet it has not made much work for the moderators, right? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies