Porridge: love or hate? Vote now please!

Do you love porridge?

Yes I have it every day
36%
Yes if offered, e.g. at a YH or BB
3%
2-6 times a week
28%
Not more than once a week
13%
Only in winter/in Scotland
10%
Only when visiting the grandparents
1%
No, I hate it
6%
Not tried it yet
No votes
No opinion / what is porridge?
1%

Total votes: 67

Cyril Haearn

Re: Porridge: love or hate?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vetus Ossa wrote:I’m not sure it would appeal to your die hard, made with water, sprinkled with salt and eat standing up type porridge eater, but our local Sainsbury’s make a what they call porridge, and it's delicious. Served with either syrup or honey…give it a go.

Sounds like an added-value product
I just buy coarse oats, 39 cent for 500 g
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Islanders on the St Kilda archipelago reputedly boiled a Puffin with their porridge. Apparently it tasted salty and quite fishy. They did keep a few sheep but seabirds, mostly Gannets, Fulmars, and Puffins, were the mainstay of their diet and they much preferred them. Puffins were a sort of St Kildan fast food and eaten in enormous numbers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The great question

Salt or no salt?

I add salt to my porridge in summer when I sweat more. Salted porridge tastes better too, I am having some without right now

I do not use salt anywhere else or in cooking but I get plenty of it in cheese &c

I wonder whether I should enjoy my porridge without salt, is there a danger of having too much salt?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Salt if over played I.M.O.

If you were to say fashionably suck on bottled water in the day then you could be washing salt from the body.
Apparently then you get salt on your skin and clothes.

Which is why I always say eat as well as drinking water.

Twenty years ago I had so much salt on my T shirt you could stand it up when dry :mrgreen:
About 15 litres of fluid that day in 24 hrs.
We now wear, well I do lycra, so harder to spot, I put additives in my water but still get salt streaks on my ruck sack.

But don't get much salt on my face when dry, which means I must be consuming enough as its reckoned that salt crystals on skin is too much water and not enough salt :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

Porridge made with water, no sweetens, but use pure Pomegranate juice, everyday, suits my sugar readings and is a great product for weight loss. One bottle over 8 days so not as much as milk. No sugar.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Norman H wrote:Islanders on the St Kilda archipelago reputedly boiled a Puffin with their porridge. Apparently it tasted salty and quite fishy. They did keep a few sheep but seabirds, mostly Gannets, Fulmars, and Puffins, were the mainstay of their diet and they much preferred them. Puffins were a sort of St Kildan fast food and eaten in enormous numbers.

Trouble was the nests were on steep cliffs, to gather birds and eggs someone was abseiled down
Maybe there was an intact community, people looked after each other and went to church a lot
But some things are better now I think
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Which is why I always say eat as well as drinking water.

Most of us have a simple built-in system for this. If you're thirsty, have a drink, if you're hungry have a bite to eat. If you need salt you'll be attracted to bites which contain salt. If it's not too hot and I'm at my usual touring intensity I don't need to drink much because I'm manufacturing water as a by-product from metabolising fuel. In fact I have to stop quite a bit to pee the excess out. But turn up the temperature and/or the intensity and it's a different matter, and my body tells me what I need.

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:But don't get much salt on my face when dry, which means I must be consuming enough as its reckoned that salt crystals on skin is too much water and not enough salt :?:

Salt comes out in sweat, which is about cooling. The water will evaporate (which is what cools you), the salt will tend to be left. So it''d be far more about how hot it is and how much you're working than how much you're drinking or how much salt you're eating. If you sweat a lot salty stuff tends to get far nicer, which is your body saying it'd like more please. This isn't really a case of pre-loading salt at breakfast, just little-and-often as you go. Breakfast not generally a sweaty exercise, so whether you like salt in your porridge is really down to personal preference.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Norman H wrote:Islanders on the St Kilda archipelago reputedly boiled a Puffin with their porridge. Apparently it tasted salty and quite fishy. They did keep a few sheep but seabirds, mostly Gannets, Fulmars, and Puffins, were the mainstay of their diet and they much preferred them. Puffins were a sort of St Kildan fast food and eaten in enormous numbers.

Trouble was the nests were on steep cliffs, to gather birds and eggs someone was abseiled down
Maybe there was an intact community, people looked after each other and went to church a lot
But some things are better now I think

Yes indeed a very harsh life. The Islands were evacuated, by mutual consent, in 1930. One of the last two native St Kildan inhabitants was Tormod Ian Gillies, with whom I share a name, ( Tormod is Gaelic for Norman) who was 5years old at the time of the evacuation and who died in 2013 aged 88. The other surviving St Kildan was his cousin, Rachel Johnson, née Gillies, who died in 2016 aged 96.

http://www.scotclans.com/85th-anniversary-of-st-kilda-being-evacuated/
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Can't really do the survey, because I like it a lot, but don't have it often...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just analysed the poll results, 92% love porridge, I do love statistics

I wanted to have rhubarb puree with mine today, but my body told me to have yoghurt instead +1

Cooked pearl barley yesterday (instead of rice), it is delicious and high in carbohydrate, a bit heavy on the stomach, I had to sit down after
Could be a good substitute for porridge
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It is easy to make too much porridge, the oats take up so much water

The solution: leave some for supper with a bit of yoghurt, tastes great and goes down well in this awful summer weather

Been adding salt too
althebike

Post by althebike »

The thing with Porridge is you can make it as sweet or salty as you like, or keep it bland, or lumpy, or smooth.I used to like treacle molasses or brown sugar on top but I keep it plain now, with just a dollop of yoghurt.
It is popular with the pros too , never thought of having it with omelette though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Jt9BL2XAo
softlips

Post by softlips »

Really interesting when I did the Tour of Flanders sportive last month watching the breakfast habits of the pros. Almost all of them had at least one bowl of porridge, one lady pro had THREE!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I struggle to eat porridge early in the morning, I really have to force myself. I have however long adopted it as pre sportive food of choice, it does work.

Quaker now offer 'porridge bars' - apparently each one has the oat content of a bowl of wet porridge. Having tried them i'm convinced, I find them easy to eat and at bleary o'clock in the morning easier to eat.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

softlips wrote:Really interesting when I did the Tour of Flanders sportive last month watching the breakfast habits of the pros. Almost all of them had at least one bowl of porridge, one lady pro had THREE!

What else did they eat? Do you mean, a few of them did NOT have porridge? :?

Porridge is of course XX% water, maybe 80%+ as I make it