Porridge: love or hate? Vote now please!

Do you love porridge?

Yes I have it every day
36%
Yes if offered, e.g. at a YH or BB
3%
2-6 times a week
28%
Not more than once a week
13%
Only in winter/in Scotland
10%
Only when visiting the grandparents
1%
No, I hate it
6%
Not tried it yet
No votes
No opinion / what is porridge?
1%

Total votes: 67

Vorpal

Re: Porridge: love or hate?

Post by Vorpal »

I go through phases with porridge. I hardly eat it for a few months, then I eat it several times a week for a while, then I nearly stop eating it for a while again. I like it, and if someone else cooked it for me, I'd likely eat it 5 days a week. As it is, I think I get tired of cooking it more than I do of eating it. I do need a bit of variety, though. One day I will have it with hazelnuts & maple syrup, and another dried fruit, and another butter and honey.

I also like it Norwegian style, but that has to cook down for a while. In Norway, it is now the season for julegrøt (Christmas porridge), which is a slightly sweet rice porridge, served with butter and cinnamon sugar. It's available in the canteen at work most days, now, so I often have it for lunch. My breakfast has been eggs lately because porridge is for lunch :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Porridge is so easy, just 3 minutes in the microwave
I usually make it after breakfast each day, let it stand 23.5 hours then it is really *creamy*, just needs another 3 minutes reheating
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Porridge is one food that I don't mind, but I don't eat it. It's not that I dislike it; just that there are a lot of foods that can be eaten, and I tend to eat a small set of them. There are a lot of foods that I could eat and like, but don't simply due to being a creature of habit.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Like Vorpal I have it occasionally, but can go months without, as my everyday breakfast is muesli. I like porridge, made on a stove, usually with some dried or frozen fruit added while cooking. I only ever use water, never milk of any kind - water and oats make a simple milk, so why add any? (I should add that I'm vegan so wouldn't use dairy milk anyway).

My partner has porridge every day and cooks it in the microwave. I think it tastes far worse cooked that way than on a stove.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Jon Lucas wrote:Like Vorpal I have it occasionally, but can go months without, as my everyday breakfast is muesli. I like porridge, made on a stove, usually with some dried or frozen fruit added while cooking. I only ever use water, never milk of any kind - water and oats make a simple milk, so why add any? (I should add that I'm vegan so wouldn't use dairy milk anyway).

My partner has porridge every day and cooks it in the microwave. I think it tastes far worse cooked that way than on a stove.

Another vegan cyclist. I wonder if there are any more on here.

I didn't mention that the closest I get to porridge at the moment is that I'm using porridge oats as part of a recipe I'm developing (based on an online one) to make my own vegan sausages.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Annoying Twit wrote:
Jon Lucas wrote:Like Vorpal I have it occasionally, but can go months without, as my everyday breakfast is muesli. I like porridge, made on a stove, usually with some dried or frozen fruit added while cooking. I only ever use water, never milk of any kind - water and oats make a simple milk, so why add any? (I should add that I'm vegan so wouldn't use dairy milk anyway).

I didn't mention that the closest I get to porridge at the moment is that I'm using porridge oats as part of a recipe I'm developing (based on an online one) to make my own vegan sausages.

I would be surprised if there aren't quite a few. I should add that I'm not ultra strict in my veganism, I like to tell people I follow a 'see food' diet, i.e. if I see food I eat it. :D

Porridge does bring one slightly bitter taste to my memory. I stayed in one rather expensive Scottish guest house where I was asked if I wanted to have porridge. Certainly I said and was brought some (delicious as it always is in Scottish guest houses). Then I waited, only to find out that porridge there was treated as the equivalent of a full breakfast, so if you chose porridge you didn't get the opportunity of anything cooked to follow. :(
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Jon Lucas wrote:I would be surprised if there aren't quite a few

I'm a veggie, but I eat fish, eggs and dairy. I also use leather

I find this complete lack of logic and consistency is the optimum balance of hypocrisy for winding people up a dinner parties

I'm been veggie for over 20 years. I can't even remember why anymore. It's just become a thing, but to give up now would make too many people happy so I'm sticking it out
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Jon Lucas wrote:
Annoying Twit wrote:

I would be surprised if there aren't quite a few. I should add that I'm not ultra strict in my veganism, I like to tell people I follow a 'see food' diet, i.e. if I see food I eat it. :D

Porridge does bring one slightly bitter taste to my memory. I stayed in one rather expensive Scottish guest house where I was asked if I wanted to have porridge. Certainly I said and was brought some (delicious as it always is in Scottish guest houses). Then I waited, only to find out that porridge there was treated as the equivalent of a full breakfast, so if you chose porridge you didn't get the opportunity of anything cooked to follow. :(

Oats to make a big bowl of porridge cost maybe 5p
Materials to make the *Full Monty* might cost a couple of pounds or more
:?: :wink:
Did they at least offer you a second bowl?
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Cyril Haearn wrote:[
Did they at least offer you a second bowl?

No they didn't. :( (and made it plain it wasn't wise to ask)

It was both one of the most expensive and the least friendly place I've stayed in in Scotland. This was bordering on being a hotel, whereas the family run guest houses were very friendly and would put themselves out to be helpful.
Debs

Post by Debs »

At least no one has mentioned the instant sludge of... 'Ready Brek'

Whoever invented that stuff ought to have his feet dry set in two buckets of it, and thrown off the nearest bridge :twisted: :lol:
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

I eat porridge most days, made with water only. Prefer Scott's 'old fashioned', slightly coarser, oats. Enjoy that it takes several minutes to slowly cook, occasionally stirring, period of quiet reflection in the morning. I put some honey on in the winter months but otherwise generally leave it well alone. I really don't like putting anything in it, like raisins or nuts and can't use milk because I'm lactose intolerant (or whatever it is that means I react to anything with too much cows milk in, like cheese, chocolate or ice-cream - not fun!). I find it sets me up well for the day. One of my favourite things to keep me going on a bike is flap jack so obviously I'm well adapted to oats. Even occasionally sprinkle oats on other dishes to give me a bit more energy.

Wouldn't say I love porridge, just find it provides a really good start to the day.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Poll expires this evening, last chance to vote
Debs

Post by Debs »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Poll expires this evening, last chance to vote

If only the BREXIT referendum vote was as decisive. Just goes to show that more politicians need to eat porridge; would improve their constitutional and enable them to pass better motions :)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am glad a started this discussion about porridge, I make sure to have it every day as I claimed, I enjoy it in a more conscious way
Just had porridge for afternoon tea, +1
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

I love porridge, especially if its made with honey and cinamon, if I make it at home its 50/50 milk and water then the honey and cinamon. The honey I use is Black Bee London honey which is non pasteurised, ie its raw honey, so much better than the shop bought stuff.
Peter