Calorie burning

Thornyone

Calorie burning

Post by Thornyone »

It is now almost time for the usual popular newspapers and womens’ magazines to print articles about getting back in trim after Christmass excesses. Invariably they contain pearls of wisdom which seem to suggest that cycling burns about as many calories as doing the ironing or playing a round of golf. But how much can I rely on the “calories used” figure given me by my Cateye computer? There seem to be so many factors which can be significant: weight of rider and bike, hilliness of route, wind strength and direction. I certainly know that it can be easier to ride slightly uphill with a strong tailwind than somewhat downhill into a near-gale-force wind.

Swimtag tells me that I used about 350 calories for a 1000m swim/29 minutes (rather more than the 60 calories per 10 minutes I saw quoted elsewhere, which clearly took no account of how far one swam in the 10 minutes).

My cateye suggested 437 calories burnt in 23 odd miles. So about 790 calories total but I wonder whether the cycling calories are under- or over-estimated?
Annoying Twit

Re: Calorie burning

Post by Annoying Twit »

When I was losing weight, I just limited my calorie intake and made sure that I was 'active'. It worked for me. I lost weight 1lb per week like clockwork. Over months. I get lots of people claiming that calorie counting is too inaccurate to be of use, but I used it and it worked splendidly.

There are a lot of potential caveats. But, a tiny amount of trial and error - weighing yourself and adjusting your calorie target if you aren't losing enough or are losing too much (ignore the first couple of weeks when drops are larger) will fix any problems.

Similar for calories burnt. If you have a reasonably stable exercise regime, then you can ignore the calories burnt during particular workouts and just look at the overall weight change direction.
softlips

Post by softlips »

I've had people say the calories my Fitbit or Garmin say I've burnt are inaccurate. They seem accurate enough for me, if I consume less than they say I've burnt I can guarantee I lose weight.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Annoying Twit wrote:When I was losing weight, I just limited my calorie intake and made sure that I was 'active'. It worked for me. I lost weight 1lb per week like clockwork. Over months. I get lots of people claiming that calorie counting is too inaccurate to be of use, but I used it and it worked splendidly.

There are a lot of potential caveats. But, a tiny amount of trial and error - weighing yourself and adjusting your calorie target if you aren't losing enough or are losing too much (ignore the first couple of weeks when drops are larger) will fix any problems.

Similar for calories burnt. If you have a reasonably stable exercise regime, then you can ignore the calories burnt during particular workouts and just look at the overall weight change direction.

In fact I wasn’t really looking to use the calorie value in a weight-loss program. Years ago when I left university I was rather overweight but since I lack will power I never diet. I simply became much more active than I’d been, and cut down a little on food (and quite a lot on beer....). In asking this question I was really wondering how accurate the measurements from a cycle computer can be. Incidentally, I never weigh myself but simply go by waist measurement and also side view in mirror :lol:
I do put weight on easily and dread to think how fat I’d be if I took as little exercise as a sizeable portion of the population seems to take. Fortunately now that I’m retired I can take a lot of exercise and, within reason, eat more or less what I fancy.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Sorry, meant to add that what I had been trying to determine was whether swimming or cycling was the better route to weight loss through exercise, i.e. whether the “calories used” data provided by Swimtag (which is probably fairly accurate) at my pool is more accurate than the “calorie used” data provided by my Cateye bike computer. At least until the “New Year’s resolutions brigade” lose interest, using my pool is likely to be a pain, so cycling may be the less stressful route to post-Christmas gut-taming :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Interesting comparison between different forms of exercise http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf. But remember there is the time element as well e.g. go swimming for 30 mins vs cycling for 2 hrs - different activities tend to be done for different lengths of time.

Ian
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thornyone wrote:Sorry, meant to add that what I had been trying to determine was whether swimming or cycling was the better route to weight loss through exercise, i.e. whether the “calories used” data provided by Swimtag (which is probably fairly accurate) at my pool is more accurate than the “calorie used” data provided by my Cateye bike computer. At least until the “New Year’s resolutions brigade” lose interest, using my pool is likely to be a pain, so cycling may be the less stressful route to post-Christmas gut-taming :lol:

Suffering from Acid Reflux this year I went to see my doctor in the local hospital and even though I explained to him that I tried to cycle 2 - 3 times a week he told me that although that was ok for me mentally, as it made me feel good, the only way to lose the weight I need to is to diet.
So guess what one of my new years resolution is !
hemo

Post by hemo »

Weight loss is mostly down to food intake the more pies and cake you eat the fatter you become unless of course you exercise as well.
I like to build ebikes and find it a good hobby amongst others I enjoy, even riding an ebike I can loose 2-3 lbs on a 50-70 mile ride. People say less effort is needed which may a given point but I find the extra speed enjoyable and try harder to keep the speed going, lowering he assist level makes for reasonable work out with having to kill your self on hills.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

hondated wrote:
Thornyone wrote:Sorry, meant to add that what I had been trying to determine was whether swimming or cycling was the better route to weight loss through exercise, i.e. whether the “calories used” data provided by Swimtag (which is probably fairly accurate) at my pool is more accurate than the “calorie used” data provided by my Cateye bike computer. At least until the “New Year’s resolutions brigade” lose interest, using my pool is likely to be a pain, so cycling may be the less stressful route to post-Christmas gut-taming :lol:

Suffering from Acid Reflux this year I went to see my doctor in the local hospital and even though I explained to him that I tried to cycle 2 - 3 times a week he told me that although that was ok for me mentally, as it made me feel good, the only way to lose the weight I need to is to diet.

Not knowing how much weight you may be advised to lose or how quickly, or what the general state of your health is, I am loth to comment beyond saying that for reasonable weight loss in a reasonably fit person I think that a combination of sensibly reduced food intake and increased activity is probably the best approach (at least for the somewhat weak-willed like me). Years ago I shed approaching 3 stone by aiming to cut out about 200 calories a day and burning about the same by increased activity. Although it took time, it was achievable and pretty painless. My brother, now in his mid 50’s but far less active than me, will use crazy crash diets which I could never stick to, but tends to put the weight back on fairly quickly through lack of activity.
Good luck with your weight loss anyhow :D
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thornyone wrote:
hondated wrote:

Not knowing how much weight you may be advised to lose or how quickly, or what the general state of your health is, I am loth to comment beyond saying that for reasonable weight loss in a reasonably fit person I think that a combination of sensibly reduced food intake and increased activity is probably the best approach (at least for the somewhat weak-willed like me). Years ago I shed approaching 3 stone by aiming to cut out about 200 calories a day and burning about the same by increased activity. Although it took time, it was achievable and pretty painless. My brother, now in his mid 50’s but far less active than me, will use crazy crash diets which I could never stick to, but tends to put the weight back on fairly quickly through lack of activity.
Good luck with your weight loss anyhow :D

Thanks Thornyone for the record I AM 5' 10" - 15st 8ib L really just need to cut out biscuits and sweets.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Psamathe wrote:Interesting comparison between different forms of exercise http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf. But remember there is the time element as well e.g. go swimming for 30 mins vs cycling for 2 hrs - different activities tend to be done for different lengths of time.

Ian

Just looked at this in detail. It’s amazing, they seem to have thought of almost* everything. So clearly the answer to post-Christmas excess is to vigorously wield an axe in the forest, preparing next years Christmas trees. Much more effective than the “religious activity” of lifting a 50lb weight (a very heavy Bible?).
* almost everything.... how many calories to play a tune “au Petomane” -currently my chief activity after a jolly good lunch of brussels, Christmas pud and bread sauce?.... :lol:
hemo

Post by hemo »

Cutting out the sweets/biscuits & cakes can be drastic unless you have will power, I like these as well.
Since September I decided to reduce the amount of these I ate and only eat as a small treat instead.
As a driver now in my occupation sandwiches are often the main meal 3 or 4 times a week so no more white bread and use multi seeded brown in store baked fresh bread, with tasty alternative fillings and thinner cut slices. Also more fish and salad with tasty added ingredients for lunch when not working.
Weight loss nothing drastic but down from 13: 7lbs to 12 : 8lbs.

The cakes and other sweet/fatty items I have replaced with ready to eat packaged fruit like prunes and apricots and generally ther fuit witht the ocassional trat of a bit of chocolate or a bakery item once a week instead of daily.
hondated

Post by hondated »

hemo wrote:Cutting out the sweets/biscuits & cakes can be drastic unless you have will power, I like these as well.
Since September I decided to reduce the amount of these I ate and only eat as a small treat instead.
As a driver now in my occupation sandwiches are often the main meal 3 or 4 times a week so no more white bread and use multi seeded brown in store baked fresh bread, with tasty alternative fillings and thinner cut slices. Also more fish and salad with tasty added ingredients for lunch when not working.

The cakes and other sweet/fatty items I have replaced with ready to eat packaged fruit like prunes and apricots and generally ther fuit witht the ocassional trat of a bit of chocolate or a bakery item once a week instead of daily.

Well done hemo and its something I will have to try as well.
hemo

Post by hemo »

In my mind I've set myself a 12:2lbs target will see if I can get there or not.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

hemo wrote:Cutting out the sweets/biscuits & cakes can be drastic unless you have will power, I like these as well.

When I had to lose weight (was getting near officially obese) I just calorie counted. This allowed me to eat whatever I wanted, just not too much of it. E.g. I learned to appreciate single squares of chocolate.