Diagnosis of Arthritis in Hip

CyclistRachel

Diagnosis of Arthritis in Hip

Post by CyclistRachel »

Hi

I am a 61 year old cyclist and I recently got diagonsed with arthritis in my hips. This was after 2-3 years of having pains in my groin. I had various medical investigations done over that period of time and I was reassured that there was no arthritis. However, in September this year I had a period of horrendously crippling pain in my hips which has since lessened but is still bad. An x-ray was done and moderately severe arthritis was found.

So I have hip arthritis. To be truthful I have found it very difficult to deal with psychologically. I love cycling and now find it difficult to cycle more than a couple of miles without pain. Cycling is something I don't want to give up (cycling is freedom for me) so would really like some advice about how to continue.

How have other cyclists coped with hip arthritis? Is it possible to ride with arthritis? Perhaps a different style of bike?

I could really do with some support please. Thanks

Rachel
Cyril Haearn

Re: Diagnosis of Arthritis in Hip

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are more than a million posts on these fora
If you search for *arthritis* you will find a few hundred to start with. Plenty of cyclists keep on despite arthritis or other conditions
I'm sure some more will reply to your post too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
CyclistRachel

Post by CyclistRachel »

Thanks for your reply. I did search for 'arthritis'. Most posts seem to be about arthritis in the wrist, knee etc. There are a few posts on specific issues relating to hip arthritis. I just wanted some idea of how people managed. This is very new to me, so moral support would be as useful as practical advice tbh.
horizon

Post by horizon »

CyclistRachel: hopefully you will stay with us and tell us about your experience as the weeks and months pass. My view is that arthritis is caused and curable; in fact it's a useful way for the body to deal with stuff away from more vital organs. My advice (and that of many others) would be to change your diet, to get gentle, warming exercise, to talk through your Life's problems and have a holiday, preferably in the sun. I would steer clear of pain killers and drugs if possible. Then cycle gently and when it doesn't hurt. I would also check in with a chiropractor and a masseuse.

My view, my advice. Not necessarily that of others.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
CyclistRachel

Post by CyclistRachel »

Hi, thanks for your reply. My arthritis is osteoarthritis so there is structural degeneration of the joints. Certainly, I’m going to do as you advise, an improved diet, work on raising my mood, and dealing with other issues so that my mind is more settled. But the degeneration is irreversible as far as I know but certainly what you advise could slow or stop further degeneration.

Oh, and a holiday would be a good idea :)

I will update on what happens in the future. I know that just raising the issue on this forum has already helped by focusing my mind.
FREDO

Post by FREDO »

Hi Rachel,

Sorry to hear of your problem, it happened to me about 5 years ago so I hope I can give you a positive look to your hip pain. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis at 63 after a lifetime of long distance walking and cycling and advised to do exercises to build up the muscles that support the hip, just gentle exercises to start with at home twice a day stretching at first then with tension bands to build the muscles slowly, after about two months I noted that I was easier on the bike and not in so much pain, after about 4 months I noticed a big improvement in my movement and strength in my hip although still not able to do the long distances I used to but I was out on the bike in less pain in some cases without pain.

Try to be positive about your pain, as someone who has gone through it I know the gnawing aching pain can wear you down in time so small gains such as exercising and being able to do more is a boost to the ego, one word of warning don't just go down the gym and start exercising there, it could potentially cause more problems by putting excess pressure on you hip.

I managed to continue riding by doing the exercises and losing a bit of weight until the end of 2016 even doing a couple of 70 mile sportives so it is possible to still get out there and enjoy being on the bike. After a further x ray that showed that I had bone on bone contact with my hip bone and grinding noises, which according to the consultant should be causing excruciating pain but didn't seem any worse to me I was advised to have a hip replacement which I did in July 2017.I am now back on the bike building up the miles and I no pain.
Viv4

Post by Viv4 »

Very sorry to hear about the arthritis and fingers crossed it doesn’t stop you enjoying your cycling.

My advice would be to try an ebike, I think it will make a huge difference. When you are feeling fit you can use minimum assist and on difficult days just bump up the power. You can still have a really good workout and know you can always get home. If you (like me) have a much loved bike then look at retrofit kits.

A word of warning though - Ebikes are very addictive and you do end up with that permanent “ebike grin”!

Good luck.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I had my first hip replacement (aged 50) in 2012 due to arthritis. I am on my consultant's list for the other side
to be done next year. January's appointment should confirm the date.

Since the left side (due to be operated on) started giving me problems in Sept 2016, I've only done one circuit training
session and no longer walk the 2 mile round trip to work every day (I cycle instead). I can cycle as normal, but walking
is very painful. Stoically carrying on with the pain.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Mrs. Copy is in a similar situation to you Rachel and is putting off having a replacement as long as possible.
However, she can cycle without exacerbating the problem, easily riding up to 40 miles if necessary.
I should add that she has two custom made bikes and rides in a comfortable upright position.

Since her diagnosis, she completes gentle stretching and muscle strengthening exercises most days and has found that gentle Yoga has helped too.

Walking-wise, this has been seriously curtailed and she has to take things rather slowly, although she's recently done a couple of uneven hilly walks using one walking pole, which helped matters.

Swimming-wise, she has had to stop doing the full leg-kick with breaststroke and has adapted her technique accordingly, but now prefers backstroke with an up and down kick.

Like most things in life, moderation seems to be the answer and I hope you can adapt your lifestyle accordingly to alleviate the pain and put off the inevitable operation.

fausto.
John100

Post by John100 »

Sorry to hear that Rachel. Changing life style as has been said may help. Antiiflammatories help but can play havoc with your stomach and don't do the circulation system much good. Use only occasionally if you have to. Paracetamol safe but mild. Above paracetamol are codeine based painkillers which have a whole raft of potential problems- drowsiness, constipation etc and they are addictive. As far as surgery goes an operation may be the answer when your quality of life tells you it's worth it. It is not a small op but techniques improve all the time and this may be the long term answer - although the surgeons may have wanted you to try the painkillers first for a while! Good luck and keep us informed
John1054

Post by John1054 »

FREDO wrote:Hi Rachel,

Sorry to hear of your problem, it happened to me about 5 years ago so I hope I can give you a positive look to your hip pain. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis at 63 after a lifetime of long distance walking and cycling and advised to do exercises to build up the muscles that support the hip, just gentle exercises to start with at home twice a day stretching at first then with tension bands to build the muscles slowly, after about two months I noted that I was easier on the bike and not in so much pain, after about 4 months I noticed a big improvement in my movement and strength in my hip although still not able to do the long distances I used to but I was out on the bike in less pain in some cases without pain.

Try to be positive about your pain, as someone who has gone through it I know the gnawing aching pain can wear you down in time so small gains such as exercising and being able to do more is a boost to the ego, one word of warning don't just go down the gym and start exercising there, it could potentially cause more problems by putting excess pressure on you hip.

Couldn't agree more. Been living with a different form of arthritis for nearly 40 years. Everything quoted above has worked wonders for me.

Good luck, John.
joelx

Post by joelx »

I am 35 years old and was recently diagnosed with hip osteoarthritis as well. I have moderately severe grade 3 stage hip osteoarthritis. Obviously, I'm very disappointed by this. I have tried to be very proactive and have done a ton of research on diet, exercise, supplements, surgeries, therapies, etc. I would be curious to hear all of your opinion. I mostly go off the scientific studies I can find. I have a 26-page document of everything I found so far here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tWRFOJ4Oj2lsRrZ_LLehbmLdFcCC0LJR63L2Xkwf__4/edit?usp=drivesdk
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

horizon wrote:CyclistRachel: hopefully you will stay with us and tell us about your experience as the weeks and months pass. My view is that arthritis is caused and curable; in fact it's a useful way for the body to deal with stuff away from more vital organs. My advice (and that of many others) would be to change your diet, to get gentle, warming exercise, to talk through your Life's problems and have a holiday, preferably in the sun. I would steer clear of pain killers and drugs if possible. Then cycle gently and when it doesn't hurt. I would also check in with a chiropractor and a masseuse.

My view, my advice. Not necessarily that of others.

All very commendable but as far as I’m aware Arthritis which I have is not really repaired by indulging in sunshine, relaxation meditation or other relaxation techniques such as talking through life’s woes!
Oh for endless supply of warm sunshine, which helps with most ailments but it’s simply silly to say it’s a cure! In my opinion as a sufferer.
John
willcee

Post by willcee »

Rachel..Its not the end of your world, it is the end of your hip joints, just 17 days ago i had my final hip op. my right, which had caused me some discomfort in the groin area meaning that sometimes i had to lift that leg into the car over the sill, but had not any issue of note when cycling, the opposite hip, replaced Oct 18, my left, led us a merry dance for several years, the pain mid hip outside area only flared when standing on the pedals, several decent physios maintained it was a deep muscle issue nand treated it for those ailments until i had my doc book me for Xrays and my physio saw them before the doc and said 2 hips required,'' the left is in bits Will'' so one year later i had my first done yet was able to cycle right up to the week before, using a wider saddle, and when recovering 7/8 weeks later was back doing my weekly mileage this time on a E bike, yet using a normal machine when the mood took me. Helped by the fact that my surgeon was also a cyclist he said keep at the bike and i did again stopping maybe 2 weeks before my Christmas week op.. much has been said and written about these ops, it does take some time to get over the major assault on your body no matter what anyone says at least a year and you have to work at it, outlook,youth, fitness and strength of mind or purpose has a lot to do with good recovery... I found this op more difficult in recovery 3 weeks in than my last , yet my younger sister, a retired experienced ICU nurse says she reckons i am better this time than 2018.. be positive, have the ops, they are very successful and they do change lives... will
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Have you been prescribed painkillers? This tends to be the immediate response of GPs when osteoarthritis is diagnosed. There are two problems with painkillers. One is they are just masking the pain that is caused by the joint which is degenerating and two they have side effects which over time are more debilitating than the arthritic pain.
That said, if you manage how and when you take painkillers it is possible to carry on being physically active until such time as you decide to proceed with a replacement.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.