Diagnosis of Arthritis in Hip

Vorpal

Re: Diagnosis of Arthritis in Hip

Post by Vorpal »

horizon wrote:CyclistRachel: hopefully you will stay with us and tell us about your experience as the weeks and months pass. My view is that arthritis is caused and curable; in fact it's a useful way for the body to deal with stuff away from more vital organs. My advice (and that of many others) would be to change your diet, to get gentle, warming exercise, to talk through your Life's problems and have a holiday, preferably in the sun. I would steer clear of pain killers and drugs if possible. Then cycle gently and when it doesn't hurt. I would also check in with a chiropractor and a masseuse.

My view, my advice. Not necessarily that of others.

Caused by what? And Curable? How does one restore lost cartilage? And what dietary changes might help?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

CyclistRachel
If you haven't done so already I'd cut out red meat from your diet,start taking Omega 3 oil(not Cod liver oil)andneat plenty of oily fish suchas Mackerel,I'd and also try Gloucsamine Sulfate @ 1500mg a day from a good source such a Holland&Barrett,if the Gloucosamine Sulfate isn't helping after 4 to 8 weeks it won't be helping at all
The next step is a hip replacement,I managed severe Osteoarthtitis in my right hip for a long time before needing a replacement which has given me a new lease of life,though I have Osteoarthtitis in my shoulders,knees and back they aren't as severe as my hip was.
Osteoarthtitis can't be cured only managed and it's effects minimised,it's degenerative especially in old crocks like us :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:CyclistRachel
If you haven't done so already I'd cut out red meat from your diet,start taking Omega 3 oil(not Cod liver oil)andneat plenty of oily fish suchas Mackerel,I'd and also try Gloucsamine Sulfate @ 1500mg a day from a good source such a Holland&Barrett,if the Gloucosamine Sulfate isn't helping after 4 to 8 weeks it won't be helping at all

I find Glucosamine & Chondroitin more helpful than Glucosamine sulfate. Also, many people cannot actually tell any difference day-to-day in taking either version of Glucosamine, but there are some studies that show patients taking 1500 mg per day have less joint deterioration over time.

Edited to add: there is a meta-analysis here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6097075/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:CyclistRachel

I find Glucosamine & Chondroitin more helpful than Glucosamine sulfate. Also, many people cannot actually tell any difference day-to-day in taking either version of Glucosamine, but there are some studies that show patients taking 1500 mg per day have less joint deterioration over time.

Edited to add: there is a meta-analysis here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6097075/

I've never tried Cluoc and Crond together,probably because the Gluoc Sulf has always worked for me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

CyclistRachel wrote:
I will update on what happens in the future. I know that just raising the issue on this forum has already helped by focusing my mind.

This thread is a couple of years old now and the OP wrote her posts in the evening of joining and then no more. Shame we haven't heard more as that tells us how people get on with various strategies.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I've been diagnosed with moderate arthritis in both hips and knees. But at the last consultation I was told the joints and movement were good, so he signed me back to my GP. However I still have groin pain first thing and many a night I get little sleep as the dull pain on the outside of my left thigh keeps me awake. The only relief is if I take Naproxin which I am loathe to do, but often, needs must.
It doesn't stop me riding, but often, like this morning, I am just too tired to go out on the bike. Wish I knew of a remedy. It does get you down. :(