Pulmonary Fibrosis

hondated

Pulmonary Fibrosis

Post by hondated »

I would be interested to know whether there is anyone on here with PF as I am still on a quest to discover why I am such a rubbish cyclist.
LollyKat

Re: Pulmonary Fibrosis

Post by LollyKat »

Have you been diagnosed with PF?
horizon

Post by horizon »

hondated wrote:I would be interested to know whether there is anyone on here with PF as I am still on a quest to discover why I am such a rubbish cyclist.

I think that before discussing PF you would have to convince us (or me at least) that you are a rubbish cyclist or at least why you think you are.

I've enjoyed your very candid descriptions of yourself in other posts but I think you are doing yourself a disservice: probably 90% of the population couldn't do what you can do.

Being a non-rubbish cyclist involves:

1. Having the right genes and physiogomy - not everyone is blessed with long legs and a lean body.
2. A good physical upbringing where you were encouraged to play outdoors and go for long walks or rides.
3. An early interest in cycling, say as a young adult, which allowed you to develop a good basic fitness, lung capacity and muscle.
4. Continuing opportunities to maintain and develop that fitness (often thwarted by children and work and family commitments - no shame there). Commuting by bike helps.
5. A keen interest in cycling itself without which you probably won't do much of it.
6. A willingness in later life to ignore the lure of the car and get out on a rainy day to help your health and fitness.

Whatever you are able to do now may be a reflection of having missed out on any of the above (except maybe 5 and 6) and any physical issues IMV will be a consequence of not cycling enough not a cause of it.

It may also be worth thinking about what type of cyclist you are: some are better at short, fast riding (sprinting), some at hill climbing, others at long distance in the cold and wet. You just might not have discovered your strengths. But I would be very careful not to blame the bike. You are where you are: there is no such thing as a rubbish cyclist, only a non-cyclist. And at least you are giving it a go.

And one last thing: if you like to cycle in a group, while that might help it will constantly force you to compare yourself with others.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
hondated

Post by hondated »

horizon wrote:
hondated wrote:I would be interested to know whether there is anyone on here with PF as I am still on a quest to discover why I am such a rubbish cyclist.

I think that before discussing PF you would have to convince us (or me at least) that you are a rubbish cyclist or at least why you think you are.

I've enjoyed your very candid descriptions of yourself in other posts but I think you are doing yourself a disservice: probably 90% of the population couldn't do what you can do.

Being a non-rubbish cyclist involves:

1. Having the right genes and physiogomy - not everyone is blessed with long legs and a lean body.
2. A good physical upbringing where you were encouraged to play outdoors and go for long walks or rides.
3. An early interest in cycling, say as a young adult, which allowed you to develop a good basic fitness, lung capacity and muscle.
4. Continuing opportunities to maintain and develop that fitness (often thwarted by children and work and family commitments - no shame there). Commuting by bike helps.
5. A keen interest in cycling itself without which you probably won't do much of it.
6. A willingness in later life to ignore the lure of the car and get out on a rainy day to help your health and fitness.

Whatever you are able to do now may be a reflection of having missed out on any of the above (except maybe 5 and 6) and any physical issues IMV will be a consequence of not cycling enough not a cause of it.

It may also be worth thinking about what type of cyclist you are: some are better at short, fast riding (sprinting), some at hill climbing, others at long distance in the cold and wet. You just might not have discovered your strengths. But I would be very careful not to blame the bike. You are where you are: there is no such thing as a rubbish cyclist, only a non-cyclist. And at least you are giving it a go.

And one last thing: if you like to cycle in a group, while that might help it will constantly force you to compare yourself with others.

First of all thank you for taking the time to reply horizon and for your kind words.
If I am honest I think its another case of Googling too much and finding a triathlete who was suffering like I have at the the end of a triathlon and decided to get a coach. He got one and within a short time and the coach seeing no progression advised him to go to see his doctor. After various tests he was advised that he had IPF which of cause is devastating for him.So it set my mind awandering. Silly really because I know I have a hiatal hernia and suffer from acid reflux so that may be why I do struggle at times. I am also guilty of needing to lose some weight as well.
I thought it was worh asking the question as one of our colleagues may have had similar experiences but I am extremely pleased that no one has responded saying that they have as this is definitely an illness you wouldnt want . Not that you would want any illness of cause.Just going to have to get out on the bike more I think.
As a foot note I am probably getting paranoid as a friend and former friend and work mate died aged 63 a couple of days before Christmas with Non Hodgkins Disease which he got after retiring three years ago and he was a keen runner and badminton player. Life just is not fair at times is it !.
Thanks again horizon your a mate Ted
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

My father was diagnosed at 81 and died of it at 84. Until the PF he'd been in pretty good shape, and you could say he had a pretty good innings. It's not nice, though - I'm glad you don't seem to have it. Good luck and enjoy your cycling.
hondated

Post by hondated »

LollyKat wrote:My father was diagnosed at 81 and died of it at 84. Until the PF he'd been in pretty good shape, and you could say he had a pretty good innings. It's not nice, though - I'm glad you don't seem to have it. Good luck and enjoy your cycling.

Thanks LollyKat and sorry to read about your Dad. Flipping annoying to read until he got PF he was in pretty good shape.Your right he did have a pretty good innings but its still a shame he didn't get that bit longer.