Third finger left hand

Squibnocket

Third finger left hand

Post by Squibnocket »

I've been cycling using a road bike for many years, sometimes cycling over a hundred miles a day and I have never experienced anything other than the usual sore legs from a good ride.

My dilemma is just before Christmas I treated myself to an 1980's retro Raleigh Thunder Road mtb. I've only had the time to do two rides of any distance on it one 40 miles and today one of 32 miles. On both occasions I've experienced numbness in my third finger on the left hand!!

It's my intention to cycle tour on this bike in the summer carrying all my kit and for longer distances.

I appreciate the geometry of the Raleigh is different but what could be causing this numbness? The first time it took over a week for the numbness to go away.

Would fitting bar ends help ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Heltor Chasca

Re: Third finger left hand

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 14 Jan 2018, 9:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

In my opinion yes. You get a couple more options to rest your mits. I have these on one bike and they work well. They also have a ‘comfort’ grip with longer, curlier ends. HTH

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ergon-GP3-Biok ... gIFSfD_BwE
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Ulnar nerve is being inconvenienced.....see https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35438
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

What Colin said ^

I suspect that this is caused partly by the hand position, and partly by another factor, either your position on the bike, or a medical issue.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
softlips

Post by softlips »

It's strange it's only your third finger. You usually get numbness in the whole of the fourth and half the third with ulnar nerve palsy as the fourth branch of the nerve is usually affected. I guess the area compressed in your case is slightly more distal to that normally seen.