Seven ways to lower your heart age

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

re cholestrol - I thought the food cholestrol theory had been debunked?

https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAv0fjV?m=en-gb
mjr

Re: Seven ways to lower your heart age

Post by mjr »

I wonder if some editor changed cholesterol-lowering diet to low-cholesterol diet there. Dietary chol doesn't make much difference to most people because the body normally adjusts its production to compensate for it.

Yet again Parkrun gets mentioned when no cycling equivalent like Let's Ride does. Why does Parkrun get so much love?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Way Number Eight.
Relax.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:I wonder if some editor changed cholesterol-lowering diet to low-cholesterol diet there. Dietary chol doesn't make much difference to most people because the body normally adjusts its production to compensate for it.

Yet again Parkrun gets mentioned when no cycling equivalent like Let's Ride does. Why does Parkrun get so much love?

yes I was surprised at the park run. Some where else I read that there are many young people who do run who have knees of an old person, not recommended, cycling can be easier on the knees?
IanH

Post by IanH »

Park Runs are an excellent training aid and my personal experience is that running is probably better for my health than cycling.
My Tom-Tom Sports App gives me "fitness points" for any specific activity. If I complete a 5 km run in 25/30 minutes I will gain about 1,000 fitness points and my average heart rate is 145 bpm (beats per minute). In contrast, in a typical 1 hour cycle ride I will cover about 20 km and gain about 150 fitness points with an average heart rate of 103 bpm.
I realise that I could put more effort into my cycling and increase my heart rate, but my chosen routes (muddy, uneven, single track country lanes) don't lend themselves to speeding!
So I tend to run and cycle on alternate days, with the odd tennis game thrown in. At my age (64), I'm just grateful that these option remain available. I have great sympathy for those who are less mobile.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

IanH wrote:Park Runs are an excellent training aid and my personal experience is that running is probably better for my health than cycling.
My Tom-Tom Sports App gives me "fitness points" for any specific activity. If I complete a 5 km run in 25/30 minutes I will gain about 1,000 fitness points and my average heart rate is 145 bpm (beats per minute). In contrast, in a typical 1 hour cycle ride I will cover about 20 km and gain about 150 fitness points with an average heart rate of 103 bpm.
I realise that I could put more effort into my cycling and increase my heart rate, but my chosen routes (muddy, uneven, single track country lanes) don't lend themselves to speeding!
So I tend to run and cycle on alternate days, with the odd tennis game thrown in. At my age (64), I'm just grateful that these option remain available. I have great sympathy for those who are less mobile.

i wish I had your genes
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:Way Number Eight.
Relax and eat a good cooked breakfast.

Fixed that for you in a slightly stalkerish way :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

IanH wrote:My Tom-Tom Sports App gives me "fitness points" for any specific activity. If I complete a 5 km run in 25/30 minutes I will gain about 1,000 fitness points and my average heart rate is 145 bpm (beats per minute). In contrast, in a typical 1 hour cycle ride I will cover about 20 km and gain about 150 fitness points with an average heart rate of 103 bpm.

How the heck do they work that out? Do Tom-Tom want to discourage cycling to help their primary market of car sat nav users?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
IanH

Post by IanH »

I don't detect a hidden agenda in the TomTom FAQs.
The following has been copied from their support page at https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answe ... a_id/25288

Fitness Points are gained based on the following:
• Your current fitness level ie. your Fitness Age and VO2max.
• The intensity and duration of your activities, where intensity is measured using your heart rate.
In order to improve your cardiovascular fitness your heart rate needs to increase significantly and for a longer period of time. So a tough weight lifting routine may give you less Fitness Points than a short run since your heart rate doesn't increase as much or only increases in short bursts.

I hope this helps, but I'm no expert, and I certainly don't have the experience or knowledge to advise others on their fitness regime!
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

mercalia wrote:Seven ways to lower your heart age

totally ... especially eggs which you should eat as much as possible, I now have between 20 and 30 a week sometimes 7 in one day as they are so damn flexible to cook
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Hey mercalia, you posted at 03:00, are you getting enough sleep?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Hey mercalia, you posted at 03:00, are you getting enough sleep?

was ripping some blu rays of a tv series takes some time :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

ianrobo wrote:

totally ... especially eggs which you should eat as much as possible, I now have between 20 and 30 a week sometimes 7 in one day as they are so damn flexible to cook

Taste even better when they are out of your own happy hens. I always keep a few and can become very friendly ideal pets.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Mick F wrote:Way Number Eight.
Relax and eat a good cooked breakfast.

Fixed that for you in a slightly stalkerish way :D
Bacon butty this morning.
Fried egg, black pudding, bacon, beanz, buttered toast yesterday.
Fried bacon and egg with bread and butter tomorrow, no doubt.
Mick F. Cornwall
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Paulatic wrote:
ianrobo wrote:

Taste even better when they are out of your own happy hens. I always keep a few and can become very friendly ideal pets.

Wished we could do that but get ours from the local farm so nearly as good !