Low back pain

robing

Low back pain

Post by robing »

I have been plagued by low back pain for the last few months which is making my life a misery.
It all stems from an injury I did lifting heavy weights at the gym several years ago. For a long time I didnt have any
Problems but it's been getting worse lately. I'm having trouble sleeping, can only lie on my back or side.
Sitting is uncomfortable. The only thing that seems to help is exercise, cycling isn't too bad! Running was previously ok
But even that now seems to make the pain worse.

I have an appointment at a private clinic the week after next so hopefully will get some answers then.
I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience?
robm99

Re: Low back pain

Post by robm99 »

I've had similar pain from a slipped disc and trapped nerves in the past. The doctor said cycling was good as it stretched the area.
After recurrences, I eventually went to an osteopath and b she worked through all of the tight muscles that were compensating for the problems.
I've been pain free for the last 18 months since that and have been able to increase my running speed and distance as well as cycling.
Last edited by robm99 on 29 Jan 2018, 2:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

It sounds like a prolapsed disc wait until your appointment to find out
robing

Post by robing »

Thanks for replies. I was wondering if it was a slipped disc. The clinic does a 'back pain package' - appointment with the physio first, then mri and appointment with consultant if needed so should get an answer.
cyclingmad

Post by cyclingmad »

Iv had slipped disc and trapped nerves makes sure your posture is right when cycling. Also found light resistance band stretches helped.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Get referred through your GP to see a physiotherapist, they are not on commission, they will isolate the real problem rather than horror stories.

I too damaged my back many years ago I was on constant anti inflammatory meds for years, I no longer take any at all, just do daily phisio exercises.....................

If you have a back problem then cycling will sensitise it post ride, so always take it easy next day.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Appreciate the thread is a few months old and you may have recovered.

I've had a couple of slipped discs, two back surgeries and things still aren't right after 10 years.

What I've found to be really useful when I get flare ups is an electric blanket on the lowest setting overnight. Apparently heat increases blood circulation and this really has done the trick for me over the last 3 months.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Robin McKenzie's 'Treat Your Own Back' was my bible for a couple of decades, having previously tried various other remedies. Regular simple exercises kept things working - I learned through painful experience to ignore at your peril :roll: More recently have focused more on core strength and flexibility, but age changes things (!) so can't be prescriptive about what works best.
PS: IME recumbent cycling can be therapeutic ;)
"42"
robing

Post by robing »

Good news! The private clinic where I had the scan done turned out to be fairly useless.
I got my GP to refer to an excellent local physio. They discovered that my left hip flexor had become tight.
They performed massages on it and specific exercises to target it.
It's worked! Up until that point I had had several months of constant pain and misery.
The improvement once the underlying problem had been found has been dramatic.
I can cycle again pain free!
Zoncolan

Post by Zoncolan »

Good to hear that things are now on the mend. If the pain comes back, another avenue to consider would be the Alexander Technique. Basically its all about how you use yourself and your posture. Its very subtle, but my experience was that it is very effective - when standard NHS type back treatment and physio had completely failed.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
robing wrote:Good news! The private clinic where I had the scan done turned out to be fairly useless.
I got my GP to refer to an excellent local physio. They discovered that my left hip flexor had become tight.
They performed massages on it and specific exercises to target it.
It's worked! Up until that point I had had several months of constant pain and misery.
The improvement once the underlying problem had been found has been dramatic.
I can cycle again pain free!

A proper physiotherapist will not send you for scans etc unless its needed! Which is that all other avenues will be sorted first, like isolation of the particular problem area / muscle / tendon / ligaments / nerves.
I have a multiple back problem, injury - sacrum through heavy lifting , collapsing spine with old age - facet impingement leading to radial nerve pain (worst almost to a spine lockup), multiple gut problems including IBS which feels sometimes like radial nerve pain, now I find it difficult to diagnose what I am suffering from.

Physiotherapy exercises which needs to be kept up at home on a recurring problem, I spend twenty minutes each day.
robing

Post by robing »

I had a bit of a relapse since that previous post. Not as bad as before. I think it could be related to running. I've reduced my running and increased my cycling and it's much better.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
You need to regulate your time and effort, will take longer with age.
Once you have had a problem it may stay with you for life.

I just live with how it is day by day and try not to over do it.

After my last accident I also had a relapse, physiotherapist said I probably tried to hard too soon.

Walking up hill sounds a bit low key as does walking but its good for the back.
Running I have just come back too after five months since my fall, not done much running for say ten months.
my running is part of a walk - run - walk exercise on my treadmill which has programs with incline.

Met a guy yesterday that said he has giving up cycling for now because of his knee pain, but he was running instead.
You can do all three but regulate time and effort.
Knee pain with cycling starts with inflexibility of lower legs and or too sporty pedal - foot setup.

A home treadmill is a good tool for rehabilitation as can a turbo be, its easy to regulate without falling into going flatout or a bit to hard too soon.

My GP said as in back pain............euphoria kicks in as you feel better................ease up.
robing

Post by robing »

I also ran my second marathon in March!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Well done :)
I wish I could get back there but I fear my cycling time would have to reduce, also I am not sure I could ever get that fit at running again.
The idea of my treadmill was to get back into running, but just using it now for a top up between rides and to use different muscles.