16 to 18 seconds
2%
More than 18 seconds
7%

Total votes: 41

De Sisti

Re: Over 55, are you fit?

Post by De Sisti »

bigjim wrote: I notice some of those younger ones were going that fast they were barely touching the seat .

They weren't doing them properly. They were cheating!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
De Sisti wrote:One of the younger guys wasn't doing them properly. His backside wasn't touching the seat. Cheat!

Bit like press-ups....keep your hands at shoulder width and put you feet on a chair then touch your nose :mrgreen:

Al the media reality last dates angle their arms which is half as easy :roll:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

11.6secs at 74
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
The utility cyclist

Are you fit, whatever your age.

Post by The utility cyclist »

As much about the glutes/quads as it is the core muscles. It was interesting to see some that clearly have very weak core muscles and being very deliberate in getting up and sitting down just like they would in a Shackleton's high seat chair :lol:

XBX and 5BX are a good way to see where you are fitness wise and also is a brilliant way of getting fitter doing only 10-11 minutes of exercise a day with no equipment whatsoever.
As a non 55 and over I found doing 10 reps was easily done in under 10 seconds (despite my 100kg mass). BTW I cheated (or not) because my butt hits the chair without having to put the whole of both cheeks on it, it's actually making it easier fully sitting down :mrgreen:

Oh, and why the exclusion of under 55s, maybe we can start an over 55s section on the forum 8) :lol:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

No exclusion, just a bit difficult to do a poll for all ages. I was nterested to see what older cyclists were capable of. If you want to do another poll just do it…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Like everything in life it not what you do but how you do it.
I used to enjoy circuit training which is a fitness thing and doesn't really need time scales, you against your body.
Couldn't do it today without looking stupid.

This test is not new it originates from the 90's and maybe before.
Like running for a bus we would all struggle on that one.

Elderly are now getting told to do exercises instead of sitting in the armchair to improve their standard of life.

But where do we start, we all know that children today have already dumped their bikes for a handheld device.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the short coming with that test is it dont take into account how tall you are? Tall people have a harder time getting up from a chair than normal people ( for whom the chairs are made?) as legs are bent more? For this reason on a bus I try to find a seat near the back that are raised from the floor a bit. Also the taller you are the greater your centre of gravity is raised when you stand up so the more work is done? So another BBC nonsense?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

9.7 secs at 56 properly bouncing my bum up and down. I reckon there's a bit of improvement possible as I was reaching for the stopwatch after no 10 (competitive, moi?)

Am happy - not bad for a bloke who spent New Year in here: http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/cardiac/surgery/c ... fault.aspx :lol:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

"Over 55" is a wee bit imprecise. Maybe the folk who compiled the questionnaire think that beyond 55 you don't count, much like the interns who buggered up my collar bone when I was that age. At the other end, my 99-year-old Inlaw Paw needed help to climb the stairs the year he died. He was over 55 too.

In other words, it's a load of LLB, BA - looks like bangers, but ain't.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Old slim females would win hands down I reckon.

????
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

mercalia wrote:the short coming with that test is it dont take into account how tall you are? Tall people have a harder time getting up from a chair than normal people ( for whom the chairs are made?) as legs are bent more? For this reason on a bus I try to find a seat near the back that are raised from the floor a bit. Also the taller you are the greater your centre of gravity is raised when you stand up so the more work is done? So another BBC nonsense?

Well, if you're taller, don't you have longer muscles / levers to compensate? Somewhere in the clip it says that your thighs should be parallel to the floor - so IF you can find a suitable chair you should be competing on a level playing field. :lol: .
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
LollyKat wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Old slim females would win hands down I reckon.

????

Although males have an advantage through hormones, women are smaller and thus power to weight might well overtake males of similar age, you would have to compare same age and same level of excess weight.
I maybe be wrong in my assumption's?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:the short coming with that test is it dont take into account how tall you are? Tall people have a harder time getting up from a chair than normal people ( for whom the chairs are made?) as legs are bent more? For this reason on a bus I try to find a seat near the back that are raised from the floor a bit. Also the taller you are the greater your centre of gravity is raised when you stand up so the more work is done? So another BBC nonsense?

I'm still wrestling with the idea that being tall is abnormal :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

LollyKat wrote:

Well, if you're taller, don't you have longer muscles / levers to compensate? Somewhere in the clip it says that your thighs should be parallel to the floor - so IF you can find a suitable chair you should be competing on a level playing field. :lol: .

its not the thighs its the lower legs that are not vertical but angled so a disadvantage and a strain. There is still the issue that the whole body centre of gravity will be raised more for a taller person than a short person, so a taller person has to input more energy to stand up ( an increase of potential energy)
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

My 10 stone wife, she's in her 60s, does it in the same time I do. She is 5'8" and walks 3 miles 4 days a week and does Zumba twice a week. That is it! I'm down the gym, walking, cycling, swimming etc, something every day, but I'm 6'2" and almost 15 stone.