Cycling after bones fracture advice

Julie

Cycling after bones fracture advice

Post by Julie »

Last november i fell and broke my tibia and fibula. I have a plate and two bolts connecting the two. At present i cannot yet stand fully. I have been cycling since the age of 2...i am almost 52 and cycle 30 miles a week to and from work..so usually quite fit. Do you have any advice on getting back to cycling after an injuruly like this. I have been a member for many yrs.  My consultant who did the op said it would be april. Can you advise of point me in the right direction.
whoof

Re: Cycling after bones fracture advice

Post by whoof »

I had the identical break,pins and plates. I spoke to my doctor about cycling as soon as the plaster was removed and his response was, great it's non-load bearing and will get lots of fresh blood pumping which will help the break heal quicker. So the day the plaster came off I rode a turbo-tainer and the day after did 10 miles. Within a couple of weeks I was doing rides of 50 miles plus. All of this was whilst I was still on crutches and all spinning an easy gear. I had the plaster on for six weeks and it was another six weeks before I returned to work and even then I could only put weight standing on it for about an hour at a time and then it starting to swell.

18 months after the break I had another operation to remove the pins and plates.

I would speak to your doctor and explain you will be cycling 'lightly' and not churning away in a big gear.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Thanks for that. My cast has been off 3 weeks today and can bear weight for 5 minutes.. can walk with crutches. We have a gym nearby so may go on a turbotrainer there. I have fracture clinic next week. My foot is swollen as soon as i start walking about..i today purchased some karrimoor walking sandals as nothing else fits.
Thanks again.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Take your consultants advice. They'll want you cycling as soon as safe to do so but it does depend on the area of the tibia (no one worries re fib, in fact it's often not plated but left) which was fractured, how many fragments there were and how displaced each was.

I've seen people take up excercise too soon and fracture the plates :shock:
John100

Post by John100 »

Agree. Every fracture and every person is different. Your consultant should be in the best position to advise so do ask - see what kind of response you get and you`ll be able to judge from there.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

My wife recently broke her foot (early December). Her experience is similar to Whoof. She was doing a bit on the turbo after about 4 weeks, cycling proper after 6 weeks. Now 10 weeks after the break, she is up to 50 miles. The problem with her has been what footwear to use. She still can't ride in her normal cycling shoes. She started off wearing a trainer with flat touring pedals. She can now wear her touring trainer style shoes with some extra padding.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Julie

Post by Julie »

Cheers. I have since purchased some walking sandals karrimoor.. i do need to get new cycling shoes..even more so now. I have contacted my local gym but no reply yet.