Crashing and getting older

fossala

Crashing and getting older

Post by fossala »

I came of my bike on the way to work yesterday. I was going around 15mph and took a right turn and slid out on some ice. I come of my bike every few years on bikes due to ice. Most of the time I just get a little bruise and graze then get on with my day, same as I did yesterday. This time I have woken up the next morning with a bad neck, back and shoulder. Guessing this will only get worse with age and falls will be worse from now on? I'm only 30 this year so hardly waiting to draw on my pension... :(
Vorpal

Re: Crashing and getting older

Post by Vorpal »

I think you were just a bit unlucky. I can't say that I have experienced hings getting so much worse. Gradually a bit worse, yes; but not at 30!

I would recommend seeing a masssage therapist, unless it gets bad enough you want to go to the GP.

I will say that after spilling on black ice about 10 years ago, I either use studded tyres, or don't go out in the ice. I am a wee bit older than you.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

Yeah, I'm sure I used to go sliding down the road more often as a kid with only torn clothes and occasional grazing to show for it. I didn't even know studded tyres existed and I lived in a region which froze over more.

Studded tyres for me too now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

fossala wrote:I came of my bike on the way to work yesterday. I was going around 15mph and took a right turn and slid out on some ice. I come of my bike every few years on bikes due to ice. Most of the time I just get a little bruise and graze then get on with my day, same as I did yesterday. This time I have woken up the next morning with a bad neck, back and shoulder. Guessing this will only get worse with age and falls will be worse from now on? I'm only 30 this year so hardly waiting to draw on my pension... :(

I reckon you have just yanked connective tissue, possibly near the shoulder blade. If so you will have niggly pain for a couple of weeks and possibly more. Nothing to do with age, just the way you fell.
fossala

Post by fossala »

Good to know guys. Looks like I've still got a few more years of being reckless.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

fossala wrote:Good to know guys. Looks like I've still got a few more years of being reckless.

I am 45 and you have plenty left ... just sometimes you can have an awkward fall etc
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I had an off late last year, tram tracks rather than ice but pretty similar result! Yup general aches and pains, a few grazes, ruined jacket and damaged tights oh and a groin wrench (no idea how) that had me using a stick for about three weeks! Previous tarmac encounters have been either more or less traumatic including an ice slide of some 20 plus metres at 16yo, the scars are just fading almost 40 years later!

I seem to get an injurious off on average about every 10 years and they all hurt! Can't say that it's got worse with age, I just generally ache more these days. :lol: one thing has changed, it does take me longer to convince my grey matter to get back on the bike after an incident and I tend to be more cautious for longer too!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
horizon

Post by horizon »

fossala wrote: Guessing this will only get worse with age and falls will be worse from now on?

No it gets better as you finally get round to buying and fitting your studded tyres. Wisdom of age and all that.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My 'off' at age 72, an encounter with a hole in tbe road here in South Potholeshire resulted in a badly injured shoulder, many stitches and a very painful operation a year later. 3 years of pain which will never be completely pain free. Fortunately the £550 damage to my Mercian was covered by my home insurance.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I'm 76. My experience of falls is that even if the injuries aren't serious they can be persistent.
I don't ride on ice, even if I don't fall there is always the risk of being injured by a vehicle sliding out on a bend.
The Rhyll tragedy shows what can happen if a driver isn't taking account of the conditions. (yes I know he wasn't speeding and his offence was having three defective tyres)
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

ANTONISH wrote:The Rhyll tragedy shows what can happen if a driver isn't taking account of the conditions. (yes I know he wasn't speeding and his offence was having three defective tyres)

From the reports I read at the time, he was clearly driving too fast for the conditions (the fact he slid proved it), but the judge 'decided' as the driver wasn't over the speed limit then that was ok. IMHO a very poor judgement. Having bald tyres was also 'not deemed a contibutory factor' because any tyre would have slid on the ice! It seems like the Judge didn't even want to follow the law, and was intent on finding reasons to minimise the driver's negligence.
Very sad, and justice wasn't served.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Vorpal wrote:I
I will say that after spilling on black ice about 10 years ago...........don't go out in the ice

My approach too. It's only ten years ago I was still using the bike, when it involved being forced to cycle a few miles on roads covered with 1-2" ice. I've since realized it's not worth the risk - that one high risk ride on a winter day, could impact on cycling for years to come!

That said, the only falls I've had, have been too other causes. 1986-87 gravel on the road following a high speed descent and corner, 2010-12 diesal on the road and then the only self inflicted one last February-March (I cycled through a ford I'd never used before, bike went sideways on weed / slime growing on the concrete pad)
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

At age 62 I’ve just learnt the hard way not to risk riding in icy conditions, at least with normal tyres. I should have learnt my lesson a couple of years ago really, when I landed on my ribs, but I’m clearly a bit of a silly old sod, so it has taken a second dose to learn my lesson. I gave up cycling at age 21 after a nasty encounter with a car and didn’t get hooked again til I was 34. Take care and you should still be pedalling at twice your age. With the weather forecast for this week I’ve got a good book to get into and a full bottle of port...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi, (59)
Fell off in November, two weeks I could not walk unaided at all, groin strain I have no idea how I did that!
Docs and hospital were surprised that nothing broken.
Well I do know sorta, just fell on my side on ice, which will give harder impact than just sliding off, and no way to correct.
Physio reckons that I swished my pelvis, I calculated that I probably hit the ground at 10 mpg, 42 years ago I did the same but three times in three miles, just shrugged it off :)
Three months later I almost can walk without a limp..............
Cycling is OK which is good.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thornyone wrote:At age 62 I’ve just learnt the hard way not to risk riding in icy conditions, at least with normal tyres. I should have learnt my lesson a couple of years ago really, when I landed on my ribs, but I’m clearly a bit of a silly old sod, so it has taken a second dose to learn my lesson. I gave up cycling at age 21 after a nasty encounter with a car and didn’t get hooked again til I was 34. Take care and you should still be pedalling at twice your age. With the weather forecast for this week I’ve got a good book to get into and a full bottle of port...

What book will you be reading?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies