Crashing and getting older

foxyrider

Re: Crashing and getting older

Post by foxyrider »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi, (59)
Fell off in November, two weeks I could not walk unaided at all, groin strain I have no idea how I did that!
Docs and hospital were surprised that nothing broken.
Well I do know sorta, just fell on my side on ice, which will give harder impact than just sliding off, and no way to correct.
Physio reckons that I swished my pelvis, I calculated that I probably hit the ground at 10 mpg, 42 years ago I did the same but three times in three miles, just shrugged it off :)
Three months later I almost can walk without a limp..............
Cycling is OK which is good.

Good to know you are recovering, glad to know it's not just me suffering the groin strain and being mystified by its cause!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Thornyone wrote:At age 62 I’ve just learnt the hard way not to risk riding in icy conditions, at least with normal tyres. I should have learnt my lesson a couple of years ago really, when I landed on my ribs, but I’m clearly a bit of a silly old sod, so it has taken a second dose to learn my lesson. I gave up cycling at age 21 after a nasty encounter with a car and didn’t get hooked again til I was 34. Take care and you should still be pedalling at twice your age. With the weather forecast for this week I’ve got a good book to get into and a full bottle of port...

What book will you be reading?

(Sorry to re-post all instead of partial quoting: haven’t mastered yet). Reading Alan Gurney “Below the Convergence” about the early exploration of the Antarctic Ocean. Might make conditions here feel almost benign :lol:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Groins strain - whether my pain and inability to walk (weight bear) was through fall onto hip or my leg being forced up under me when I hit the ground we will never know.
Cycling is pain free now even standing under full power, walking at about 4mph up hill on my treadmill aggregated the pain but walking now on the flat at 5mph does not bring on pain at all on short distances, 3 months on I would say that unless I planed a 3 hour say seven mile moor walk with a rucksack up to 20 Ibs I am ok, restricted to walking through lack of that type of exercise by other things like weak ankles more, two stairs at once at moderate speed will show some pain, climbing over rocks etc.
Only phisio could refer me for a mri for a groin strain, in the end its clearing up, doc said age was not a factor, 1st time for me not wanting to repeat any time soon........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

al_yrpal wrote:My 'off' at age 72, an encounter with a hole in tbe road here in South Potholeshire resulted in a badly injured shoulder, many stitches and a very painful operation a year later. 3 years of pain which will never be completely pain free. Fortunately the £550 damage to my Mercian was covered by my home insurance.

Al

Not as old, a mere 50.
Last year my front wheel locked up sending me over the bars. a5 stitches to me face and pulled my shoulder.A few months later i was just about mended and got knocked off by a car pulling out of a junction.
Shoulder seized up so much i couldn't reach into a jersey pocket let alone dress properly, after 6 months of physio i have regained probably 80 % mobility but it still hurts so i have had to give up strength work as i have a manual job which is enough .Still aches after 30 miles or riding.
Now when the forecast is icy i simply do not risk it as i would rather be a bit fatter than flatter
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Once you get past a certain age you don't heal as well, but 30 is definitely not that age.

One thing all cyclists need to do, I think, is practise some weight-bearing percussive sport, such as running or even long-distance walking, for years. This helps avoid osteoporosis, and makes bones less vulnerable to offs. Oh, and eat your broccoli. :mrgreen: <puke>

Needless to say I despise most brassica and don't do much other than ride my bike. See you in the trauma ward.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

+1 another reason to eat sprouts
What are they called in Belgium?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:+1 another reason to eat sprouts

Kleine Kohl on some German menus, so could be the local version of 'little cabbage' :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

foxyrider wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:+1 another reason to eat sprouts

Kleine Kohl on some German menus, so could be the local version of 'little cabbage' :lol:

Rosenkohl in German of course, named after the most beautiful flowers :D
Helmut K o h l was called the Birne, pear because of his size and shape ('my weight is a state secret', he said when asked)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
As some one who has kept up weight bearing exercise like walking over the moors etc with the dogs..when we have them, Its got to be beneficial, a body built by work with your body I believe is better than weights in the gym.
Take the difference between a turbo and real cycling, one year I spent 5 months on the turbo then jumped on bike for a century ride.
Lower legs suffered with pain on ride for the first time in my life through cycling.

Circuit training was something I always enjoyed in my youth, not expensive to build a course at local park which you could walk run cycle to and workout, my be sociable too...............I know there has been some feeble attempts by councils even in my area.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Thornyone wrote:Sorry to re-post all instead of partial quoting: haven’t mastered yet.

When you have the post you wish to quote in your "Post a Reply" pane, simply highlight the bits you want to leave out and then press the "Ctrl" and "X" buttons together on your keyboard to delete them. You can preview and if necessary adjust the results of your efforts before commitment, and even re-edit your whole reply at any time after posting.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Roadster wrote:
Thornyone wrote:Sorry to re-post all instead of partial quoting: haven’t mastered yet.

When you have the post you wish to quote in your "Post a Reply" pane, simply highlight the bits you want to leave out and then press the "Ctrl" and "X" buttons together on your keyboard to delete them. You can preview and if necessary adjust the results of your efforts before commitment, and even re-edit your whole reply at any time after posting.

Remember to type a few does to show that some text was removed...
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Roadster wrote:

Yes, if you're using Windows, but "cmd" and "x" if you're using a Mac.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

fossala wrote:I came of my bike on the way to work yesterday. I was going around 15mph and took a right turn and slid out on some ice. I come of my bike every few years on bikes due to ice. Most of the time I just get a little bruise and graze then get on with my day, same as I did yesterday. This time I have woken up the next morning with a bad neck, back and shoulder. Guessing this will only get worse with age and falls will be worse from now on? I'm only 30 this year so hardly waiting to draw on my pension... :(

I remember falling off on black ice when I was around 19 or 20, and I was sore and stiff for a day or two. Last year, aged 58, I came off my MTB on a slippy surface and hit the ground quite hard, and suffered no more than a minor bruise.

I'd agree it's mostly down to luck, and nothing to do with age.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Roadster wrote:

Sorry, I didn’t add that I was using my iPad to post :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Alan O wrote:
fossala wrote:I came of my bike on the way to work yesterday. I was going around 15mph and took a right turn and slid out on some ice. I come of my bike every few years on bikes due to ice. Most of the time I just get a little bruise and graze then get on with my day, same as I did yesterday. This time I have woken up the next morning with a bad neck, back and shoulder. Guessing this will only get worse with age and falls will be worse from now on? I'm only 30 this year so hardly waiting to draw on my pension... :(

I remember falling off on black ice when I was around 19 or 20, and I was sore and stiff for a day or two. Last year, aged 58, I came off my MTB on a slippy surface and hit the ground quite hard, and suffered no more than a minor bruise.

I'd agree it's mostly down to luck, and nothing to do with age.

Sliding on anything than Black Ice is somewhat different from any other surface as you will not be expecting it and the transition from upright to horizontal I.M.O. from my latest fall is instantaneous, not like my many falls over my life of two wheeled competitions and just having fun on mud :)
Age might not make a diff but at a certain age broken bones are more likely, I am lucky as I have never broken a bone but more maybe my bones might be tougher, lets hope anyway.