Stop Eating Bacon ( or NITRO MEAT) or Die? The Complete Story

mercalia

Stop Eating Bacon ( or NITRO MEAT) or Die? The Complete Story

Post by mercalia »

Seems like the bacon to avoid is the stuff thatlooks PINK as that means CHEMICALS.

Bacon is out Bangers are in

" the average British sausage – as opposed to a hard sausage like a French saucisson – is not cured, being made of nothing but fresh meat, breadcrumbs, herbs, salt and E223, a preservative that is non-carcinogenic"

Bacon is the meat version of fags - The story is told how the meat lobby like the fag lobby have fought hard to persuade punters that their nitrate rich product is "good for you"

"The pinkness of bacon – or cooked ham, or salami – is a sign that it has been treated with chemicals, more specifically with nitrates and nitrites. It is the use of these chemicals that is widely believed to be the reason why “processed meat” is much more carcinogenic than unprocessed meat. Coudray argues that we should speak not of “processed meat” but “nitro-meat”."

a VERY interestingf article suggesting there is a way to make bacon but that the food industry has covered this up as it costs more that just adding chemicals - it isnt the nitrates them selves that are bad but what happends when they interact with various aspects of the meat they are put in

"But something different happens when nitrates are used in meat processing. When nitrates interact with certain components in red meat (haem iron, amines and amides), they form N-nitroso compounds, which cause cancer. The best known of these compounds is nitrosamine. "

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/01/bacon-cancer-processed-meats-nitrates-nitrites-sausages?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=265984&subid=23601318&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
AlaninWales

Re: Stop Eating Bacon ( or NITRO MEAT) or Die? The Complete Story

Post by AlaninWales »

"treated with chemicals"

Ahhh, the evil "chemicals" .... sounds like pseudo-science to me.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

“Stop eating bacon or die”. So let’s get this straight, if I don’t eat bacon I will not die. Wow!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bacon has been a staple food for decades, I used to like it (been a vegetarian for a few years)

But why has this deadly problem not been discovered sooner? Is the bbc trying to cook something up to avoid reporting weather or b****t?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Bacon has been a staple food for decades, I used to like it (been a vegetarian for a few years)

But why has this deadly problem not been discovered sooner? Is the bbc trying to cook something up to avoid reporting weather or b****t?

if you read the article it has been know for a long time but like the fag industry the bacon/ham industry has been working over time to say the opposite
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I looked at some salami the other day. Will I die?
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

This is the problem though:

'Bacon cured by traditional methods without nitrates and nitrites will lack what Gower calls that “hard-to-define tang, that delicious almost metallic taste” that makes bacon taste of bacon to British consumers. Bacon without nitrates, says Gower, is nothing but “salt pork”.'

What is the point of eating it at all if it doesn't have that bacon taste? I eat it perhaps 3 times a year, so I am doubtful it is a significant risk I'm running.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

"The WHO advised that consuming 50g of processed meat a day – equivalent to just a couple of rashers of bacon or one hotdog – would raise the risk of getting bowel cancer by 18% over a lifetime. (Eating larger amounts raises your risk more.) " to quote from article.
To put this whole scare story into context, you would have to be a bit of a bacon addict to increase your risk of getting cancer of the bowel by 18%, i.e. a low number is increased by 18% which equates to another low number, so you probably won't die of cancer if you eat bacon.
whoof

Post by whoof »

flat tyre wrote:"The WHO advised that consuming 50g of processed meat a day – equivalent to just a couple of rashers of bacon or one hotdog – would raise the risk of getting bowel cancer by 18% over a lifetime. (Eating larger amounts raises your risk more.) " to quote from article.
To put this whole scare story into context, you would have to be a bit of a bacon addict to increase your risk of getting cancer of the bowel by 18%, i.e. a low number is increased by 18% which equates to another low number, so you probably won't die of cancer if you eat bacon.

According to Bowl Cancer UK 1 in 14 men in they UK will be diagnosed with bowl cancer during their life time, so relatively it's not that low a number and an 18% increase isn't low either. The title of this post is very poor though and reads like a Daily Express front page.