Help, I want a recumbent, which one?

Jacwat

Help, I want a recumbent, which one?

Post by Jacwat »

Hi, this is my first day on here brilliant page, I had a stroke a couple of years ago at 50 yrs old and I’m paraplegic down my right side. I use a recumbent exercise bike in the gym I just would so like to feel the wind in my hair but I just don’t know which one I should start with? Anyone got any tips ? Thank you Jackie.
NUKe

Re: Help, I want a recumbent, which one?

Post by NUKe »

You probably need to go try few, to see what suits you , Good person for advice is Kevin at Dtek. He has a selection of second hand ones for sale and is very knowledgeable.
http://www.littlethetford.org/?page_id=529
NUKe

Post by foxyrider »

Get yourself along to York Rally, there are always plenty of lay a bouts there who will bore your knickers off with their enthusiasm but also let you test ride their steeds.

I would suggest one of the higher trikes would be the best type given your limited mobility, the lower ones can be a right bugger to get in and out of!

Hope you can find a solution that will work for you.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

How well can you hold things in your right hand and/or how much control do you have of your right arm/shoulder??
That will be the limiting factor on how safe you are when you need to let go of the handle bar with your left hand either to indicate turns and/or wave at traffic.

Pedal wise you either need to clip in or use platform pedals that support your heels so your foot cannot slip down and hit the road.
A delta trike like the Hase Kettwiesel has a higher seat that a tadpole like the ICE Adventure, so are easier to get on and off, but you can attach hand holds to the Adventure that help with this.

I'm a left arm amputee who rides an ICE Sprint, so I know it's relatively easy to shift all the controls on to your good side.
I ride a tadpole trike and both front brakes are worked off one lever and the back brake is a parking brake worked off a friction lever.
Gear changers are a little bit more tricky, but still reasonably easy to adapt to your level of disability.

Luck ....... :D
Last edited by Tigerbiten on 10 Mar 2018, 11:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Contact D-Tek. Seriously Kevin knows his stuff as far as recumbents goes. From my experience there's a reason why ppl recumbent those new to recumbents to contact him.

I spoke to him before buying a used recumbent from a private seller up in Glasgow. He was very helpful and I doubt I'd have taken the plunge without the information he provided. If he hasn't got something suitable for you right now, I'm sure he'll get something in sooner or later. I reckon he'll have sold something to someone in a similar situation to you.

I would have thought a delta trike would be better. The Hase brand I think so a good one. Something to do with being a higher seat on them. ICE trikes look very well designed. IIRC they design access aids for their models. I think Hase do too. Try contacting the manufacturers directly too. If anyone knows how to work around physical issues they will I reckon. Most manufacturers are very helpful if contacted directly, even if they sell only through dealers / distributors.

Good luck in your search for a solution. It's fun riding a bike, I hope you get out for a ride soon.