Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Bar Ends and Gloves

Capt_Mike

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Bar Ends and Gloves

Post by Capt_Mike »

Can anyone please recommend specific ergonomic handlebar ends/grips and padded gloves to help alleviate carpal tunnel syndrome? Thanks in advance.
hamster

Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Bar Ends and Gloves

Post by hamster »

I use these:
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/80851/pr ... -ends.aspx

Some other points:
1 Make sure that the back of your hand is in line with your forearm - riding with wrists dropped makes pain more likely.
2 Try bars with a bit more of a back sweep - your hands and wrists are in a more natural position.
3 Also use foam bar grips, e.g. Ritchey
Capt_Mike

Post by Capt_Mike »

Thank you Hamster. Very helpful
regards
Mike
horizon

Post by horizon »

Capt_Mike wrote:Can anyone please recommend specific ergonomic handlebar ends/grips and padded gloves to help alleviate carpal tunnel syndrome? Thanks in advance.

Can you say what sort of brake levers you use (and bars)? I find that i need to keep the brake cables etc in good condition to keep braking light to avoid pressure on my fingers.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Capt_Mike

Post by Capt_Mike »

The bike I mainly use is a Dawes Karakum, which has "Butterfly" handlebars and "Tektro" vee-Brakes. My second bike has straight bars and Shimano vee-brakes
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Try raising the handlebars and/or getting a shorter stem.
This will help by reducing the weight/pressure on your hands and wrists.
BEFORE doing this it is advisable to get a bike fitting done. :wink:

HTH

If all else fails GET A RECUMBENT :D I did and have no more problems with my wrists, neck or back. :wink:
cyclingmad

Post by cyclingmad »

You can buy carpel tunner supports now for your hands? Never tried them before but probably will help to keep your hands properly supported when riding.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

nigelnightmare wrote:
If all else fails GET A RECUMBENT :D I did and have no more problems with my wrists, neck or back. :wink:

Though why wait until all else fails? I don't have CTS but my limit on drop bars was about 50-60 miles as after that my arms/wrists/shoulder/neck just wanted to stop (and that was fairly relaxed touring drop setup). Since changing to a recumbent with no weight on my arms/wrists/hands and no need to look up to see more than a few meters in front from anything resembling aero my distance and time limits are as long as my legs will keep going.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...