Fat Adaption - power of

ianrobo

Re: Fat Adaption - power of

Post by ianrobo »

flat tyre wrote:
ianrobo wrote:
flat tyre wrote:I couldn't possibly go out without breakfast, I did it once and severely "bonked" after 25 miles. I usually find on all day rides that I need to stop for a little something every 25 miles or so, e.g. cake, or sandwich.

but that is because you are not fat adapted and even at lower efforts you will burn limited glycogen and not fat.

No, I don't have any fat to burn.

really ? so you have 0% body fat ? Even pro's do at 5-10%
ianrobo

Re: Fat Adaption - power of

Post by ianrobo »

PH wrote:
ianrobo wrote:I have mentioned for a while that I do low carb and for those that know the benefit is riding with fat adaption. Well on Saturday I did the 200km De Ronde

https://www.strava.com/activities/1481561808

This was done with no breakfast and on this vid here you can see I am fresh - white helmet, blue short sleeved castelli top ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZoRU7xAN3o

felt so good that next day did another 60KM. Now yes I am preaching but when I see the crap people eat and I just stop to fill up water, surely there is a better for people that buying rubbish gels etc or even taking your own food ?

The only thing I eaten on the ride was 14 or so jelly babies

Well done. that looks a great ride. The youtube vid shows loads of riders looking fresh and doing well, no doubt of all dietary persuasions, so why would you believe yours right and theirs wrong? I was watching another youtube vid of someone just as enthusiastic about what must be the complete opposite to you, vegan high carb low fat, they looked to be doing at least as well as you. What it demonstrates is the amazing versatility of the body to adapt, rather than the One True Way. I'm a bit cautious of high fat diets, all the medical people I know (Admittedly a small sample) advise that it has adverse long term effects, any casual investigation just leads to confusion with equally authoritative studies on opposing sides.
I also had a good weekends riding, with 200 km Audaxs both days, at a speed that suites me though considerably slower than the one that suites you. Saturday was "fuelled" by toast, belgium bun, banana and cheese sandwich. On Sunday didn't bother with breakfast, three "fuel" stops - sausage sandwich, flapjack and coke and peanuts in a pub. It didn't warrant a thread on any forum...

It is a discussion point isn't it ? there are many different methods etc and everyone will do what feels good for them. As for the long term adverse effect of high fat diets, show me where ? I posted my bloods from Dec in another topic and I challenge anyone to say that they are bad or do we come back to the cholesterol myth again ?