Fat Adaption - power of

ianrobo

Fat Adaption - power of

Post by ianrobo »

I have mentioned for a while that I do low carb and for those that know the benefit is riding with fat adaption. Well on Saturday I did the 200km De Ronde

https://www.strava.com/activities/1481561808

This was done with no breakfast and on this vid here you can see I am fresh - white helmet, blue short sleeved castelli top ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZoRU7xAN3o

felt so good that next day did another 60KM. Now yes I am preaching but when I see the crap people eat and I just stop to fill up water, surely there is a better for people that buying rubbish gels etc or even taking your own food ?

The only thing I eaten on the ride was 14 or so jelly babies
SmilerGB

Fat Adaption - power of

Post by SmilerGB »

Good going on your ride [emoji1303] but you’ve got to take in to consideration the ride & everybody’s requirements are different.

For instant according to your ride you covered 1600m of elevation over 200km with a average of about 27km/h

for a example due to where I live yesterday I cover 70km with 895m of elevation with a average speed of 26km/h

Everything effects fuelling (elevation, speed, weather) , yes on shorter/flatter rides I see your way as being feasible, but surely on long rides its better to fuel your body with what ever suits you to ensure you don’t cause your self harm.
Last edited by SmilerGB on 3 Apr 2018, 7:27am, edited 1 time in total.
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
Paulatic

Re: Fat Adaption - power of

Post by Paulatic »

5502 ft climbing
17.1 mph
Robo will have his own reasons but skipping breakfast is something I’d hate to do.

Edit: smiler changed ft to m while I wrote to clarify height climbed :D
Last edited by Paulatic on 3 Apr 2018, 8:16am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

It is Good going by robo, I know I couldn’t do it without fuelling especially not having a good breakfast.

That’s a great climbing effort Paulatic [emoji1303]
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

I couldn't possibly go out without breakfast, I did it once and severely "bonked" after 25 miles. I usually find on all day rides that I need to stop for a little something every 25 miles or so, e.g. cake, or sandwich.
Audax67

Re: Fat Adaptation - power of

Post by Audax67 »

FTFY
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

ianrobo wrote:The only thing I eaten on the ride was 14 or so jelly babies

Was that just a glycogen top up for higher intensity sections ?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Providing i've fuelled beforehand (maybe just coffee and pastry) I can ride 100km without any extra fuel but my performance drops off rapidly at that point. I regularly do up to 80km (almost 60km today) before a food stop (typically egg on toast) on rides with 13-1500m climbing in 100km.

Well done on completing the ride but think how much better you'd do it by eating properly! 'fast' rides are fine for training but your body does need fuel for optimum performance.

I've got a 200 in 3 weeks time, I shall be making use of the food stops including soup and sandwiches and maybe an energy bar or two - last time I rode it my moving speed was something over 32kph.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

flat tyre wrote:I couldn't possibly go out without breakfast, I did it once and severely "bonked" after 25 miles. I usually find on all day rides that I need to stop for a little something every 25 miles or so, e.g. cake, or sandwich.

but that is because you are not fat adapted and even at lower efforts you will burn limited glycogen and not fat.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

SmilerGB wrote:Good going on your ride [emoji1303] but you’ve got to take in to consideration the ride & everybody’s requirements are different.

For instant according to your ride you covered 1600m of elevation over 200km with a average of about 27km/h

for a example due to where I live yesterday I cover 70km with 895m of elevation with a average speed of 26km/h

Everything effects fuelling (elevation, speed, weather) , yes on shorter/flatter rides I see your way as being feasible, but surely on long rides its better to fuel your body with what ever suits you to ensure you don’t cause your self harm.

Oh I do take into account everyone is different but I do have general principles as well that suits everyone. The first one is that if you burn fat for all but the highest level of efforts then not only can you go for longer with min food refuelling but you can also recover quickly, next day I did a 60km ride for example. For those into Audaxing etc this is also applicable ....
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

foxyrider wrote:Well done on completing the ride but think how much better you'd do it by eating properly! 'fast' rides are fine for training but your body does need fuel for optimum performance.

yes it does - called fat - just 2000 cals of Glycogen and for anyone with say 20% BF which is very good thats 40K of cal ! So if you are not fat adapted then you will suffer ....
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Paulatic wrote:Robo will have his own reasons but skipping breakfast is something I’d hate to do.

simple reason, means no stomach issues and no rush at 4AM as i had to eat if I wanted to ...
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

ianrobo wrote:
flat tyre wrote:I couldn't possibly go out without breakfast, I did it once and severely "bonked" after 25 miles. I usually find on all day rides that I need to stop for a little something every 25 miles or so, e.g. cake, or sandwich.

but that is because you are not fat adapted and even at lower efforts you will burn limited glycogen and not fat.

No, I don't have any fat to burn.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

flat tyre wrote:
ianrobo wrote:

No, I don't have any fat to burn.

+1
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Post by PH »

ianrobo wrote:I have mentioned for a while that I do low carb and for those that know the benefit is riding with fat adaption. Well on Saturday I did the 200km De Ronde

https://www.strava.com/activities/1481561808

This was done with no breakfast and on this vid here you can see I am fresh - white helmet, blue short sleeved castelli top ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZoRU7xAN3o

felt so good that next day did another 60KM. Now yes I am preaching but when I see the crap people eat and I just stop to fill up water, surely there is a better for people that buying rubbish gels etc or even taking your own food ?

The only thing I eaten on the ride was 14 or so jelly babies

Well done. that looks a great ride. The youtube vid shows loads of riders looking fresh and doing well, no doubt of all dietary persuasions, so why would you believe yours right and theirs wrong? I was watching another youtube vid of someone just as enthusiastic about what must be the complete opposite to you, vegan high carb low fat, they looked to be doing at least as well as you. What it demonstrates is the amazing versatility of the body to adapt, rather than the One True Way. I'm a bit cautious of high fat diets, all the medical people I know (Admittedly a small sample) advise that it has adverse long term effects, any casual investigation just leads to confusion with equally authoritative studies on opposing sides.
I also had a good weekends riding, with 200 km Audaxs both days, at a speed that suites me though considerably slower than the one that suites you. Saturday was "fuelled" by toast, belgium bun, banana and cheese sandwich. On Sunday didn't bother with breakfast, three "fuel" stops - sausage sandwich, flapjack and coke and peanuts in a pub. It didn't warrant a thread on any forum...