Cysts, saddle sores

Patrickpioneer

Cysts, saddle sores

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Hello all, the past week I have suffered from saddle sores! and they blooming hurt. I have also what appears to be a cyst in that area which is most probably the cause of the pressure point. Done lots of reading on the web dealing with the problem and I know a visit to the doctor is the sensible course but have you ever had the same problem, how long did you rest off the bike, what was the outcome.
thanks
Patrick
mjr

Re: Cysts, saddle sores

Post by mjr »

Yes, I suffered this I think when I was testing a bike for touring by doing long rides on consecutive days and discovered that the saddle used then was slightly the wrong shape for me. The main parts of the solution for me were:
  • Wash the area every morning and night and as soon as possible after riding - definitely no sitting around in sweaty clothes. If you can't change soon after, ride slooooowly (and allow time for it). Once the skin was thoroughly dry, apply Aloe Vera gel.
  • I ride for transport so I didn't stop riding (heck, if broken toes and a walking stick didn't stop me :lol: ) but I did minimise it and use a bike with a very cushy Lycette mattress saddle.
  • Long term, I fitted a saddle that fits and don't use pads because I've never found one that fitted and didn't irritate or hold sweat in.
I didn't actually visit the doctor or nurse but I'd suffered cysts before and it didn't change shape or do anything else to cause me concern. Maybe I should have. Maybe you should. I don't know. I'm not a doctor.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
leftpoole

Cysts, saddle sores

Post by leftpoole »

I’ve suffered and regularly suffer cysts. The pain is dreadful and virtually unbearable. I’ve even squeezed and burst them from time to time , which is not something recommended!
I went to my Doctor who told me it’s just tough luck. Apparently no matter how clean one is, if you get them you get them! She lanced one for me and took out quite a lot of puss. I’ve then used a cream which name of I cannot recall. Around a month off bikes until it cleared up. Occasionally they start again and I’m in distress because of it. They are actually under the skin and come about because of chafing like a cebacious cyst. There is an operation available where you can have your underside cleansed of them! Surgeon slices and digs in and removes them from underneath the skin.
I’ll put up with the inconvenience as I had one sliced and am not keen on doing it again even more thoroughly!
The cream I used was I believe some kind of anti fungal plus capsules from Doctors is also available which gets rid of the offenders for a while.
So it’s suffer either way.
Best of luck,
John

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

I have tried padded shorts too and like you they never fitted right. I think my problem may have been ridding almost everyday my winter/shopping/etc rat bike with its old tatty saddle? and only washing every other muck spreading?
thanks for the reply. take care
Pat
Broken toes and walking stick, your a star.
and thank you too John.
mjr

Post by mjr »

No star for that - cycling was actually easier than walking then and it's dicey pushing our car pedals with broken toes, so it was cycling, mass transport or cadging lifts and cycling clearly offers the most freedom. It was also nice seeing the lights go on behind some people's eyes when I parked and unfolded a walking stick.

leftpoole wrote:I’ve suffered and regularly suffer cysts. The pain is dreadful and virtually unbearable. [...] I went to my Doctor who told me it’s just tough luck. [...] cebacious cyst.

That reminds me - there are different types of cyst. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/skin-cyst/
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

As a update it has taken a week for my saddle sores to heal. and because I don't get along with padded shorts I have now made my own using the pad in an old bought pair of shorts as a pattern to then cut from fleece (old top) three pads, these are then all sewn together then sewn into an ordinary pair of shorts.
So far they are OK, comfy and don't feel strange, if they do work then they could be sewn into boxers for under normal trousers.
Having a sewing machine is a wonderful tool but I am sure this could all be hand sewn.
Patrick
pwa

Post by pwa »

Patrick, I hope your bit of bother clears up soon. I'd try to stay off the bike until it did.

Long term, I suggest you think about a leather Brooks saddle, or the same sort of thing from another brand. It will take a while to bed in, while it changes shape to accommodate your shape, but eventually you will end up with the ideal shape for you, with a bit of flex built in. Lots of cyclists don't need that sort of saddle, but I would recommend one to anyone who has suffered bad saddle sores.

I know you don't get on with padding, but you might have a look at some of the latest padded undies that are basically mesh with a pad.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

hello, I have a Brooks B17, bought it what must be now 27 years ago and for 24 of those years I was vegetarian and the last three years vegan! so the brooks did not sit well :) but as my bike is so important too me if the only way I can ride is to use the Brooks then thats what i will do, but not yet and to be honest the cheap plastic Selle saddle I have seems OK? I think my problem was due to other issues.
Patrick
Jeff31

Post by Jeff31 »

Maybe using a chamois cream or Conotrane will help reduce the chaffing.
robing

Post by robing »

I've never had really bad saddle sores, but did get prostatitis following a long cycle tour which was really unpleasant. I now wear two pairs of padded shorts! Seems to work for me, no recurrence of either so far.
althebike

Post by althebike »

I had bad sores during a 300 miler through cornwall and devon last year. The cause was not being able to wash and dry my shorts every night. Long hours in sweaty shorts created trouble down under.
I was using a brooks b17 but sitting on the nose rather than having the sit bones near the rear of the saddle. While this stopped my thighs rubbing the saddle, it created a pressure point which grew into a carbuncle. Having a saddle too high also creates abrasion because you move from side to side on the saddle to complete each downstroke.
I would start to heal, do a short ride and it would flare up again and so an enforced lay off proved to be the best cure. 11 months later I can still feel a slight lump where the sore was, but it is painless and benign.
The brooks saddle has done about 800-1000 miles, if anyone has a bottom more suited , they are welcome to it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Not sure what cysts, but had lumps that are painful, sometimes you can squeeze them.
I have used a Brooks B17 std, the sides are too deep and chaf after about 100 miles for me, might be my ridding style, no gap between thighs, high gears whilst training which means a lot of squeezing the saddle sitting, I would imagine that the narrow version is better.
Most modern saddles are shallow so less rub on thighs.
I use a cheap Selle royal gel (SR) Lidl did sell them once and later Aldi £9.99, they only last about 5-10,00 miles, but as cheap I have a stock. (now discontinued so searching a replacement.
After 300 miles single rides and several one day 250 miles, the only discomfort is rub from underwear (since now trying lighter pants, I also use padded shorts, but change pants after 12 hrs on a 24 hour ride (250M).

Good luck.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

an anti perspirant helps down there but carefull with the roll on, or even vapourub as the menthol stops you sweating while the rest acts to reduce friction. tea tree wipes are soothing and easy to make for the end of the day.

if you get cysts then magnesium sulphate paste on a gauze dressing for a few days should draw them out. a big dollops of antiseptic cream works as well, surgical spirit will toughen the skin pre ride if you prep properly. baby powder is debatable but there's a corn starch based menthol one that doesn't act like grinding paste if you don't like chamois cream or zinc oxide nappy cream.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I found creams ineffective and even contributing to the problem. The answer for me has been Lanacane Powder. Dries up any moisture and has antiseptic properties.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Another advantage of riding a bent? One sits on the fleshy bottom cheeeks that were designed for that purpose, +2

What part of their bottom does a horse rider sit on? What about when riding sidesaddle? Racing jockeys get out of the saddle, just like cyclists :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies