Multi-morbidity (Radio 4 news)

horizon

Multi-morbidity (Radio 4 news)

Post by horizon »

Interesting piece on Radio 4 this morning about multi-morbidity. This apparently is a serious and increasing problem that doctors say they don't understand. Some illnesses are naturally found together but doctors are now saying that patients are presenting with several unrelated conditions.

I wondered if anyone had any views about the relationship between multi-morbidity and cycling (i.e. as a preventative), lifestyle, phamaceutical drug use etc.

Anecdotal evidence welcome.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
squeaker

Re: Multi-morbidity (Radio 4 news)

Post by squeaker »

Might be more to do with the hassle of trying to get a GP appointment so you put up with more before finally accepting the inevitable? :roll: Or when you do finally get an appointment you take your bucket list?
"42"
horizon

Post by horizon »

There's a fuller report in the Guardian (and possibly in other media too):

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ay-experts

I felt that although there were issues about patient care, the big message was that people are becoming much less healthy and the doctors are flummoxed.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Probably starts with depression which eventually manifests as physical problems. I am not a medic and this is just my opinion.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The experts say there is not enough evidence to know why there is such an increase in multiple conditions and call for more research, but an ageing population and the effects of modern lifestyles in obesity and alcohol and smoking-related disease must all play a part.

Sitting on our backsides, they mean. They left out pollution, which surely has to impact it, especially in urban areas.

I'm sure that cycling would help, but so would other activities, such as walking or swimming.

Also, people need to be outdoors more than many are. Not just to go out to the car, but to become a part of the outdoors, sitting the grass, climbing a tree, feeling the sun, etc. There is evidence that being in contact with a natural environment improves mental health, and of course mental and physical health are related.

I also expect that some of it just due to people living longer, and getting better, earlier diagnoses also contributes to it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:
The experts say there is not enough evidence to know why there is such an increase in multiple conditions and call for more research, but an ageing population and the effects of modern lifestyles in obesity and alcohol and smoking-related disease must all play a part.

Sitting on our backsides, they mean. They left out pollution, which surely has to impact it, especially in urban areas.

I'm sure that cycling would help, but so would other activities, such as walking or swimming.

Also, people need to be outdoors more than many are. Not just to go out to the car, but to become a part of the outdoors, sitting the grass, climbing a tree, feeling the sun, etc. There is evidence that being in contact with a natural environment improves mental health, and of course mental and physical health are related.

I also expect that some of it just due to people living longer, and getting better, earlier diagnoses also contributes to it.

your right I dont think.