Pins and Needles

WillG

Pins and Needles

Post by WillG »

I have recently started getting pins and needles and a slight numbness in my left foot when road cycling. I have had the same set up on my road bike for 2 years with no issues. I have checked my shoes and they are still in good condition.

Is it just old age or can anyone think of any other reason?
Vorpal

Re: Pins and Needles

Post by Vorpal »

Is it only in your foot?

It might that you are doing something to your sciatic nerve. The most likely culprit is saddle position. The best thing to do is post videos on here of you riding your bike, or pictures, if you can't do video.

Otherwise, you can try 531Colin's guide to bike fitting http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/docume ... 02017a.pdf

If you want something to try quickly, to see if it helps, lower your saddle; not so far that you are eating your knees, but enough to make a significant difference (2 or 3 cms?). If you want to, you can mark the seat pin, so you can easily restore it to the starting height.

It could also be a variant on 'hot foot'? We've had a couple of threads on here about that. Here's one
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=120270&p=1228449
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
WillG

Post by WillG »

Yes its only in my foot! I have had cause to wear two pairs of socks recently due to the weather and I have been feeling tight around my lower back recently. Maybe a sports massage may help and of course more stretching.

It would be a surprise if it was my saddle height as it has been in the same position for two years with no adverse affect. However I agree that it is potentially the problem!!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

WillG wrote:Yes its only in my foot! I have had cause to wear two pairs of socks recently due to the weather and I have been feeling tight around my lower back recently. Maybe a sports massage may help and of course more stretching.

It would be a surprise if it was my saddle height as it has been in the same position for two years with no adverse affect. However I agree that it is potentially the problem!!

Many people ride for years in reasonable comfort with an incorrect position, or the saddle too high.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I think you might have hit on the cause....double socks. Foot too tight in shoe maybe.
I had a similar problem earlier this year could’ve been caused by winter socks or a shift to Shimano pedals. Either way I’ve switched to flat pedals and sensible shoes and all my problems have drifted away.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info