Coaching

Jaffa89

Coaching

Post by Jaffa89 »

I took on a coach six months ago to improve my performance in races, but I've performed worse than ever and am left burned out because I believe I've been pushed too far in training and not been give enough recovery. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
foxyrider

Re: Coaching

Post by foxyrider »

Jaffa89 wrote:I took on a coach six months ago to improve my performance in races, but I've performed worse than ever and am left burned out because I believe I've been pushed too far in training and not been give enough recovery. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Does sounds like there is insufficient rest in your programme. Have you talked to the coach about this?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Surely the person to talk to is your coach, (s)he should be monitoring your performance and results on a daily weekly basis. What system is used to record and monitor your rides / performance. Do you add other metrics on a daily basis, ie how you feel, sleep hours, resting pulse, for them to see.
If I am tired or do not feel like doing something or am unsure about it, I either question it or just do not do the session and record the reason why. After all it is you that is paying them for the results you expect to get.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jaffa89 wrote:I took on a coach six months ago to improve my performance in races, but I've performed worse than ever and am left burned out because I believe I've been pushed too far in training and not been give enough recovery. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

All the time,she's called Mrs R2,it's been going on now for40+yeas and I can't find a way out :shock: ......... :wink:

Seriously though,when I was working there was a period when due workload I had to work 7days a week to clear the backlog,at the end of it I was mentally and physically cream crackered,and I learned a lesson not to over work myself.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jaffa89

Post by Jaffa89 »

foxyrider wrote:

Does sounds like there is insufficient rest in your programme. Have you talked to the coach about this?

Too late was the cry Yeah I think there was insufficient rest in the programme, asked for some explanation from the coach and he thinks a downturn in my performance was a lack of hard work...obviously I took on a clown to guide me :roll:
Jaffa89

Post by Jaffa89 »

eileithyia wrote:Surely the person to talk to is your coach, (s)he should be monitoring your performance and results on a daily weekly basis. What system is used to record and monitor your rides / performance. Do you add other metrics on a daily basis, ie how you feel, sleep hours, resting pulse, for them to see.
If I am tired or do not feel like doing something or am unsure about it, I either question it or just do not do the session and record the reason why. After all it is you that is paying them for the results you expect to get.

I was using Training Peaks. Daily metrics I recorded for him to see, had a massive drop in weight 4kg over the past 4 months, complained of continuous muscle soreness and tendon pain were the obvious signs.

I've sent an email and asked for some explanation that he can see, but he's cut me off...not happy :(
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

That sounds lame. Post a bad review about him on Facebook, or wherever they have advertised.

If you want coaching, you might be better off joining a sport-oriented local cycling club. Chances are they either have a coach, or can recommend one. They may also be able to offer csome advice about recovery. You are certainly not the first cyclist to overtrain.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

We have a friend, he would think nothing of doing training rides from Preston up to the Lakes and back in the day... he was a hard and successful local rider then he took on a coach... the coach totally broke him.

You do need rest it is part of the training programme, rest and recovery to help build the muscles up...

For what it's worth I do not think the weight loss is too drastic, having changed some of my diet and tried to be very good and not eat too much cake in the cafes, I too have dropped 3-4kg over the winter and suspect as a percentage of my weight to yours it is a higher weight loss?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
althebike

Post by althebike »

The British Cycling website offers a lot of training options that can be downloaded for free, straight into training peaks.
Providing you use the program close to where you are now (physically) you should be fine. The programs are gently progressive with built in rest days and recovery weeks, which is something your current regime may be weak on.
Good idea to start serious training from a rested state, so you are fresh. pay lots of attention to rest, hydration and nutrition,and a steady improvement is on your horizon.
If your targets are short term, a coach may be encouraged to offer a crash course to get you to where you want to be, faster than your body can adapt, a longer term approach may be better where you build a base, do the pre season stuff and be ready to go full bore next year.