Bilateral vestibular dysfunction

[XAP]Bob

Bilateral vestibular dysfunction

Postby [XAP]Bob » 19 May 2018, 8:40am

I’ve mentioned a little bit on the forums that I’ve had a rough year...

In February I suffered a severe auto immune attack which has basically wiped out my inner ear (as well as impacting my liver, but that seems to have responded well tonsteroids).
I now have fluctuating hearing loss (currently moderate to profound) and no *measurable* vestibular function.

That measurable part is significant, because unlike vision and hearing there is no direct way to measure vestibular function - it’s a ‘silent’ sense and is buried deep within the head. There is a chance that there is some, very low level, residual function, and on that basis physio is trying to adapt what might remain.
However... my balance doesn’t appear to have responded to steroids at all...

This is a serious long shot because of the rarity of condition and symptom... but is anyone else cycling with bilateral vestibular issues?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way.
No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
A good pun is it's own reword

There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Bilateral vestibular dysfunction

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 19 May 2018, 8:54am

Hi,
I know nothing and have never heard of it, sounds rotten bad luck, I wish you well with your recovery [XAP]Bob.

I have had slight hearing loss once, I was surprised how depressing it can be, how I was affected.....how I felt....
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 22 May 2018, 10:52am

Hearing loss is incredibly isolating, it's very hard work to keep saying 'pardon' to everything anyone says, you just end up letting it slide and checking out of the conversation...

The vestibular dysfunction however is pretty weird. You can imaging being deaf (put your fingers in your ears) or blind (shut your eyes) but there is no way to image having no vestibular system... It does so much stuff silently.. Like keeping your eyes pointing in the right direction when your head moves (which it does, alot).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way.
No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
A good pun is it's own reword

There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 22 May 2018, 11:05am

Bob
Like N.A. I'd never heard of it before and have no idea how it would effect me.
I can only sympathise with you and your unfortunate problems and say I hope it responds to treatment,get well soon.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.