Muscle Tiredness - Weird Experience

Psamathe

Muscle Tiredness - Weird Experience

Post by Psamathe »

Yesterday's ride and I was exhausted before I even set off out but sometimes I then pick-up energy, yesterday I didn't and it was a "plod".

But also last half of the ride I had several phone calls (and personal situation such that I have to answer my phone). So stopped, spent a few minutes on the phone and I'd have expected the few minutes rest to have allowed my legs some recovery but opposite - on starting off on ride again legs were terrible and took a mile or so to get back into some sort of capability.

I'd have expected a rest to help not make things worse. Any ideas as to what might have been happening and why a rest didn't help.

(I was very short of energy, probably not eaten enough because later than evening even standing beside cooker was a "challenge").

Ian
SimonCelsa

Re: Muscle Tiredness - Weird Experience

Post by SimonCelsa »

Age mate! You sound knackered. Have a rest.

All the best, Simon
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

King size Bonk! Low blood sugar levels will pretty much always have this effect. If you were already struggling before the ride you really were riding on empty. I think pretty much everyone who rides further than the corner shop has suffered at some time or other - I certainly have, only got home after raiding a petrol station for chocolate!

I wouldn't worry on a one off but if it repeats i'd get to the docs.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

foxyrider wrote:King size Bonk! Low blood sugar levels will pretty much always have this effect. If you were already struggling before the ride you really were riding on empty. I think pretty much everyone who rides further than the corner shop has suffered at some time or other - I certainly have, only got home after raiding a petrol station for chocolate!

I wouldn't worry on a one off but if it repeats i'd get to the docs.

I'm happy with health (red blood cell count is a touch low and MCH a touch high but nothing major). I suspect I'm not eating enough. It was just weird the way a rest made things worse and starting activity again improved things. So from yesterday I wont be troubling my GP. I suspect my diet/eating enough comes from my love of veg and active day plus a ride and it gets to be a challenge to get enough eating predominantly veg!

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

According to your thread you've been going through a stressful time recently ,I'd suggest tentatively that could have a lot to do with it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote:According to your thread you've been going through a stressful time recently ,I'd suggest tentatively that could have a lot to do with it.

I suspect it does, I am generally run down (though recovering). It was just weird the way a rest made restarting harder for the next mile or so. I thought a rest (even a couple of minutes) would give some "recovery", not make things harder.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[quote]I suspect it does, I am generally run down (though recovering). It was just weird the way a rest made restarting harder for the next mile or so. I thought a rest (even a couple of minutes) would give some "recovery", not make things harder.

Ian[/quote]
The mind's tired which affects the body,it's a chain reaction.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

Things that seem counter-intuitive happen surprisingly often. On one ride last year where I'd pushed myself too far, towards the end I experienced the same thing. When I stopped for a brief rest, it was as if my legs had thought I'd stopped for the day and really didn't want to get started again. I think it's just overtired muscles.

Another weird thing I've had a couple of times, especially after a hard uphill section, is that when I've stopped... for about a minute or so my heart rate has increased dramatically rather than slowing! I looked it up, and apparently it's not so unusual - I can't remember what it's called or where I found the information now.

I think the bottom line is that when overstretched, the body can respond in what might seem like strange ways in an attempt to recover. For one-offs, I'd say don't worry about it. But if unexpected things start happening regularly, see the doc.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Psamathe wrote:Yesterday's ride and I was exhausted before I even set off out but sometimes I then pick-up energy, yesterday I didn't and it was a "plod".

But also last half of the ride I had several phone calls (and personal situation such that I have to answer my phone). So stopped, spent a few minutes on the phone and I'd have expected the few minutes rest to have allowed my legs some recovery but opposite - on starting off on ride again legs were terrible and took a mile or so to get back into some sort of capability.

I'd have expected a rest to help not make things worse. Any ideas as to what might have been happening and why a rest didn't help.

(I was very short of energy, probably not eaten enough because later than evening even standing beside cooker was a "challenge").

Ian

There's a reason why legs are described as 'cafe legs' after a rest.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
What meds are you on.
Have you been on them for some time.
(I am am not sure of your age / activity)
Blood test will be useless if you are OK soon.
Normally takes me an hour or so to pick up during ride, If my legs are heavy.
A virus.
It could be many things, hope you feel better soon.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
What meds are you on.
Have you been on them for some time.
(I am am not sure of your age / activity)
Blood test will be useless if you are OK soon.
Normally takes me an hour or so to pick up during ride, If my legs are heavy.
A virus.
It could be many things, hope you feel better soon.

Not on any meds.
Early 60's (♂) moderately active life cycling, gardening (cutting the grass takes 4 hrs, dragging trees around), few other activities.

Interesting that it takes you an hours to "pick-up" if starting a bit tired. Sometimes my legs feel really tired by the time I reach my garden gate! but then a couple of miles on (or less) the energy has kicked-in.

I did a calculation the other day and I estimate I'm not eating enough calories. Based on typical energy expenditure and a 35 mile ride and why diet the shortfall was "significant".

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Sorry I should of said that it takes me an hour to loosen up my legs, if still stiff.
Not easy at sixty to determine if its age meds food overwork undertraining.............
garden work etc, I need a day off next day for sure, several hours doing heavy work is a killer I find.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Psamathe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:According to your thread you've been going through a stressful time recently ,I'd suggest tentatively that could have a lot to do with it.

I suspect it does, I am generally run down (though recovering). It was just weird the way a rest made restarting harder for the next mile or so. I thought a rest (even a couple of minutes) would give some "recovery", not make things harder.

Ian

I had a day like that once.... I think Littlest was about 6 months old and had been up in the night. I was stressed by work and facing a severance package. I really, really needed to get out, so I went for a ride, and I just couldn't. I did a bit better after a meal, but I just went home. It was depressing on top of everything else; my main way to relax and lose some stress, and I had no go in my legs. It took a few days to recover, too.

It didn't feel as bad as the bonk. I just felt tired, without much energy. I'm sure that if I had pushed too hard, I'd have got the bonk.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hondated

Post by hondated »

Psamathe wrote:Yesterday's ride and I was exhausted before I even set off out but sometimes I then pick-up energy, yesterday I didn't and it was a "plod".

Ian

Pretty sure I posted a similar question way back when I was experiencing much has the same as you. I made various visits to my doctor who gave me rational decisions for feeling like I did. So stiff upper lip, act like a man etc etc but I just could not get back to feeling great. I then insisted on a blood test.
Very long story short finally attended local hospital today who have diagnosed that I have anaemia but the worrying thing is what is causing it so they are going to investigate.Worrying or what !
So my advice to you is that if you have not improved then go to see your doctor and insist on a blood test just to ensure you too are not anaemic/
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

hondated wrote:

Ian

Pretty sure I posted a similar question way back when I was experiencing much has the same as you. I made various visits to my doctor who gave me rational decisions for feeling like I did. So stiff upper lip, act like a man etc etc but I just could not get back to feeling great. I then insisted on a blood test.
Very long story short finally attended local hospital today who have diagnosed that I have anaemia but the worrying thing is what is causing it so they are going to investigate.Worrying or what !
So my advice to you is that if you have not improved then go to see your doctor and insist on a blood test just to ensure you too are not anaemic/

I actually had a blood test the other week (not related to the issue I started this thread on). Red Blood Cell Count was marginally outside "normal" range (I was 4.48 and normal range 4.50-5.50) and Mean Corpusc. haemoglobin (MCH) a bit outside range (I was 32.6 and "normal" range 27.0-32.0 (macrocytic anaemia)) - but both of those so close to range and after test error margins I'd regard them as nothing to worry about (but I have temporarily started B12, iron, etc. supplements when I remember). Everything else in "normal ranges".

Ian