Muscle Tiredness - Weird Experience

hondated

Re: Muscle Tiredness - Weird Experience

Post by hondated »

Psamathe wrote:
hondated wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Yesterday's ride and I was exhausted before I even set off out but sometimes I then pick-up energy, yesterday I didn't and it was a "plod".

But also last half of the ride I had several phone calls (and personal situation such that I have to answer my phone). So stopped, spent a few minutes on the phone and I'd have expected the few minutes rest to have allowed my legs some recovery but opposite - on starting off on ride again legs were terrible and took a mile or so to get back into some sort of capability.

I'd have expected a rest to help not make things worse. Any ideas as to what might have been happening and why a rest didn't help.

(I was very short of energy, probably not eaten enough because later than evening even standing beside cooker was a "challenge").

Ian

Pretty sure I posted a similar question way back when I was experiencing much has the same as you. I made various visits to my doctor who gave me rational decisions for feeling like I did. So stiff upper lip, act like a man etc etc but I just could not get back to feeling great. I then insisted on a blood test.
Very long story short finally attended local hospital today who have diagnosed that I have anaemia but the worrying thing is what is causing it so they are going to investigate.Worrying or what !
So my advice to you is that if you have not improved then go to see your doctor and insist on a blood test just to ensure you too are not anaemic/

I actually had a blood test the other week (not related to the issue I started this thread on). Red Blood Cell Count was marginally outside "normal" range (I was 4.48 and normal range 4.50-5.50) and Mean Corpusc. haemoglobin (MCH) a bit outside range (I was 32.6 and "normal" range 27.0-32.0 (macrocytic anaemia)) - but both of those so close to range and after test error margins I'd regard them as nothing to worry about (but I have temporarily started B12, iron, etc. supplements when I remember). Everything else in "normal ranges".

Ian

Pleased to read that Ian . In my experience the NHS is great once you get access to it but getting that has proven to be really difficult for me. I really think we are back to those days when your post code is significant !.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

hondated wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
hondated wrote:
Pretty sure I posted a similar question way back when I was experiencing much has the same as you. I made various visits to my doctor who gave me rational decisions for feeling like I did. So stiff upper lip, act like a man etc etc but I just could not get back to feeling great. I then insisted on a blood test.
Very long story short finally attended local hospital today who have diagnosed that I have anaemia but the worrying thing is what is causing it so they are going to investigate.Worrying or what !
So my advice to you is that if you have not improved then go to see your doctor and insist on a blood test just to ensure you too are not anaemic/

I actually had a blood test the other week (not related to the issue I started this thread on). Red Blood Cell Count was marginally outside "normal" range (I was 4.48 and normal range 4.50-5.50) and Mean Corpusc. haemoglobin (MCH) a bit outside range (I was 32.6 and "normal" range 27.0-32.0 (macrocytic anaemia)) - but both of those so close to range and after test error margins I'd regard them as nothing to worry about (but I have temporarily started B12, iron, etc. supplements when I remember). Everything else in "normal ranges".

Ian

Pleased to read that Ian . In my experience the NHS is great once you get access to it but getting that has proven to be really difficult for me. I really think we are back to those days when your post code is significant !.

It's weird and over the last 6 months I've had very variable experience. A parent has been rather ill and I've been carer and on a few occasions, 1st thing in the morning I've been concerned and told "you'll never get a GP appointment" yet on all 3 occasions I've had parent concerned sitting in front of GP within a few hours and without having to describe a dire situation to a receptionist. Last summer I was peeing blood after a ride and told to contact GP so called GP 08:30 and at 09:15 a GP had her finger up my ...... But this month I've had a 3 week wait for an appointment wait.

I think both GP practices were triaging very effectively as my 3 week wait was for a non-urgent issue so they are getting the urgent stuff in quickly and less urgent takes longer (reasonable).

Over the last 6 months I've also had quite some experience with private healthcare (not for myself) and have been both very impressed and very un-impressed; very un-impressed more than impressed. We've seen 4 different consultants privately and 2 fell very very short of what I'd call acceptable, one a bit short of OK and the other very good. So I'm far from convinced about this great thing called "private healthcare" and on several occasions I'd seriously considered pushing the patient to switch back to NHS treatment. n.b. not for me to pass judgement on decisions of others to take out private healthcare insurance.

Ian
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I'm finally giving up on my GP. Has been good personally in the past, but getting an appointment or even a repeat prescription can be nightmare. Currently I've waited three weeks for an important blood test result, have tried ringing up more than once, told both times there was something that needed to be discussed and been promised the GP would ring up, still deafening silence, and have faced the usual blocking and fibbing from receptionists.

Today I'm writing to ask for a copy of the results - a complete copy. I will work out what is going on myself. If I don't know what a term means, I'll ask a friend who is a vet. To date, he's always been at least as good at explaining things as any doctor I have had, and much better than most of them.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Psamathe wrote:
Over the last 6 months I've also had quite some experience with private healthcare (not for myself) and have been both very impressed and very un-impressed; very un-impressed more than impressed. We've seen 4 different consultants privately and 2 fell very very short of what I'd call acceptable, one a bit short of OK and the other very good. So I'm far from convinced about this great thing called "private healthcare" and on several occasions I'd seriously considered pushing the patient to switch back to NHS treatment. n.b. not for me to pass judgement on decisions of others to take out private healthcare insurance.

Ian

My experience of a stay in a private hospital was appalling in so many respects it would take too long to explain, and many people who think private care has to be better than the NHS just wouldn't believe me. I wasn't surprised to see recently that the CQC are finally catching up with them and making public how substandard many of them are.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Flinders wrote:I'm finally giving up on my GP. Has been good personally in the past, but getting an appointment or even a repeat prescription can be nightmare. Currently I've waited three weeks for an important blood test result, have tried ringing up more than once, told both times there was something that needed to be discussed and been promised the GP would ring up, still deafening silence, and have faced the usual blocking and fibbing from receptionists.

Today I'm writing to ask for a copy of the results - a complete copy. I will work out what is going on myself. If I don't know what a term means, I'll ask a friend who is a vet. To date, he's always been at least as good at explaining things as any doctor I have had, and much better than most of them.

My experience has been much of the same has you mentioned in your two posts Flinders. I have periodically been questioning just why my cycling ability has been deteriorating over the years with my GP and its almost as if he has been deaf. Again several years ago after I had successfully self diagnosed that I had Acid Reflux I had a blood test and it showed I could have a kidney problem so he said we would need to monitor that. Silly me assumed from that that I would receive a letter at the appropriate time to have it checked. But of cause it never arrived and it was only on my recent visit I mentioned it that he arranged for me to see a nurse to have the blood taken. To get that appointment took two weeks 24 hours later received a call saying I needed to see a Consultant within two weeks, so we all know what that means see the Consultant and he says I did to have a camera inserted both ends and I will be receiving an appointment within two weeks. So it could be six weeks before i get a true indication of what is wrong. Great ! I am just glad that I sought out another blood test because if it is anything awful its best to try and get it sorted as soon has.
My conclusion after this is that the system is ok but you need to chase everything up rather than wait for the system to respond to your problem.