Nutrition on a long ride

Vorpal

Re: Nutrition on a long ride

Post by Vorpal »

Not sure I can get my head round Alan O's idea of nutrition. :wink: :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:I think its often a pose in cities - folk need to feel that they are ultra ultra busy/on the go. Same reason you see folks in london walking down the street with a paper cup of coffee. Relax folks. Pop in a bar. Drink a coffee. The world will survive with you on leave for 5 to 10 minutes.

It's plastic as well as paper. Take your own reusable takeaway cup.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

Vorpal wrote:Not sure I can get my head round Alan O's idea of nutrition. :wink: :wink:

No, I'm, erm, not sure it's ideal for everyone :wink:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Sweep wrote:Not sure I can get my head round pasta for breakfast alano, but maybe I will try it.

I do a mean tomato sauce.

When I was a teen the buzz was that the pros all ate steak and rice for breakfast so I adopted the same. Cooking it at silly o'clock in the morning would turn my stomach these days and TBH I doubt it did anything for my meagre racing abilities!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
TheNissanMan

Post by TheNissanMan »

Think I’ve been overthinking it, woke up again at stupid o’clock yesterday which this week unfortunately is turning into a bad habit so rather than eating or drinking anything went straight out on the bike for the last (what I would class as) long ride before the L2B, a quick bottle of water in the car before the ride and two snack bars along the ride and finished 30 miles later which is the furthers I’ve been so far with some decent elevations in there every 5 miles as doing laps.

To be fair felt OK until I got home where had some eggs on toast and then flaked for the rest of the day! My logic now if I can do that yesterday and looking at the elevations during the L2B bar the beacon, a good breakfast at 5am and a reasonable lunch and snacking throughout should be fine. Only downside is that if I feel this rough today, what am I going to feel like on Monday :) :)

Would a sports massage Monday or Tuesday help aching muscles?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

TheNissanMan wrote:Think I’ve been overthinking it, woke up again at stupid o’clock yesterday which this week unfortunately is turning into a bad habit so rather than eating or drinking anything went straight out on the bike for the last (what I would class as) long ride before the L2B, a quick bottle of water in the car before the ride and two snack bars along the ride and finished 30 miles later which is the furthers I’ve been so far with some decent elevations in there every 5 miles as doing laps.

To be fair felt OK until I got home where had some eggs on toast and then flaked for the rest of the day! My logic now if I can do that yesterday and looking at the elevations during the L2B bar the beacon, a good breakfast at 5am and a reasonable lunch and snacking throughout should be fine. Only downside is that if I feel this rough today, what am I going to feel like on Monday :) :)

The overthinking it bit is exactly what I've been trying to alert you to. At least, you've made good use of the time by getting some miles in. Apart from anything else, the more you ride, the more you understand what works for you. Don't worry too much about Monday. That's for celebrating and setting your next target and I'd urge something involving stopping smoking while continuing with the cycling. Use the money saved to buy a new bike or three. (And if I didn't mention it before, don't start too fast on Sunday.)
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

TheNissanMan wrote:Only downside is that if I feel this rough today, what am I going to feel like on Monday :) :)

Don't know, but the important thing to remember is to log in here and tell us how it went, before your body contorts into a mass of screaming muscle spasms and leaves you incapacitated for days - or hopefully not that bad :D
TheNissanMan

Post by TheNissanMan »

Alan O wrote:
TheNissanMan wrote:Only downside is that if I feel this rough today, what am I going to feel like on Monday :) :)

Don't know, but the important thing to remember is to log in here and tell us how it went, before your body contorts into a mass of screaming muscle spasms and leaves you incapacitated for days - or hopefully not that bad :D

Based on the way I feel today following yesterdays 30, I think that is a strong possibility although with work have walked a few miles throughout the day albeit slowly lol. Will definitely be logging on at some point on Monday ;)

Thirdcrank, will definitely be taking my time lol. Looking at the elevation map I’m thinking it shouldn’t be too bad and working on a 47 mile ride as it looks as if once at the top of the beacon you can hang on and cruise down to the finish (fingers crossed)...
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

The Beacon isn't that hard a climb.
Get into a low gear early and start slowly - perhaps a bit lower than you are comfortable with.
Once you are settled into the climb you can increase or lower your speed as you feel the need.
Don't try to follow faster riders - don't let yourself get into the red.
( If you aren't forced to dismount by people getting/falling off in front of you :wink: )
Have a look at the view from the top :D
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Here's a cycling breakfast I could get the hang of...

[youtube]5nWsV0Be-vI[/youtube]
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...