"Owd Chap" TAKING UP CYCLING

Triple Clanger

"Owd Chap" TAKING UP CYCLING

Post by Triple Clanger »

Hi,

I have not cycled for many a decade and more recently have suffered from ligament damage around my knee. Most likely the result of old age. There, I was wondering, if any kind person would be able to assist with the ideas I have for getting on a cycle.

It is appreciated that being at the high end of the age spectrum it will be necessary to go easy. So with this in mind I was thinking about using our local canals to gradually build up strength and fitness. Was thinking about five miles to start with and gradually increasing the distance with gradients increasing in severity and length as time goes by. I also wish to stay in traffic free areas until I build up strength and confidence. It is assumed I will fall off several times more especially at lower speeds but I shall do lots of practice on private car parks etc when it is quiet.

I do have a cycle "bone dome" and have borrowed some protection thingies for elbows etc.

Thank you kind ladies and gentlemen.
"Warrior of the Rainbow"
foxyrider

Re: "Owd Chap" TAKING UP CYCLING

Post by foxyrider »

Having targets is a good thing but the most important thing is to just get out and start riding.

Canals are okay but can be quite hazardous - there are many disused railway lines which are less stressful and less likely to get you a dunking!

You don't need all that protection but if you feel happier with it go for it although i'd advise investing in a lightweight modern 'bone dome' and make sure it's fitted correctly. The knee/ elbow pads will actually be a hindrance and are best avoided.

Good luck
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe first of all use the bike to get to the shops or pub. dont feel obliged to cycle all the time but stop and take a rest and just enjoy the freedom you got there by bike. maybe you already have some favourite places around where you live you can go to under your own steam?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

foxyrider wrote:You don't need all that protection but if you feel happier with it go for it although i'd advise investing in a lightweight modern 'bone dome' and make sure it's fitted correctly. The knee/ elbow pads will actually be a hindrance and are best avoided.

My son is adopted, and had already learned to ride when he came to us. First cycling trip, he already had his stuff and was kitted out in helmet, elbow pads, knee pads and wrist guards.
First thing to do was check stuff out, and when it came to the brakes the wrist guards made things a bit awkward, so it was agreed that they weren't a very good idea. We set off, and the knee-pads were rubbing, so they came off. Next was the elbow pads, and finally, having covered fewer meters than we'd taken minutes, off came the helmet. Aside from racing (helmet mandatory) he hasn't used any of it since.

I've recently taught some people to ride from scratch, and someone who hadn't ridden since she was a wee girl and is about to retire and wanted to start again. None of them fell off, it's certainly not inevitable until you get in to serious competitive sport.

Worth considering an electrically assisted bike. Some view them as "cheating" but you still do work, and it seems that people just take longer trips and aren't bothered so much by big hills. Certainly the case in NL that they've proven very popular with older riders, keeping them cycling longer.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Triple Clanger

Post by Triple Clanger »

Thank you all for the kind replies.

The information about padding is interesting so I think I shall give that idea a miss. With regard to the helmet purchased a proper cycle helmet from the local cycle shop and was surprised how light it was.

The short ride to, say the shops, is very sound as is the caution regarding canals.

Picked up a really old cycle and had a go riding it. A bit wobbly and wary but I was really surprised that I have not forgotten how to ride a cycle. Will do it steady and bit by bit until confidence grows.

Again thank you, all of you are very kind
"Warrior of the Rainbow"
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

get a couple of mistresses - you need an incentive :D

make sure they live at least 10 miles apart on differing bus routes so they don't bump into each other at bingo.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi, do you have any of these new fangled cycle lanes or routes near you ?
I recently moved but before I had access to the North Wales coast path which was a magnet for cyclists of all ages & abilities + coffee stops.
Has your local Cycling UK got an 'Old Timers' section ?
Just getting out & about will give you more confidence & fitness, listen to your body & as someone said stop to look at the view !
Good luck,
Chris
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Triple Clanger wrote:Thank you all for the kind replies.

The information about padding is interesting so I think I shall give that idea a miss. With regard to the helmet purchased a proper cycle helmet from the local cycle shop and was surprised how light it was.

The short ride to, say the shops, is very sound as is the caution regarding canals.

Picked up a really old cycle and had a go riding it. A bit wobbly and wary but I was really surprised that I have not forgotten how to ride a cycle. Will do it steady and bit by bit until confidence grows.

Again thank you, all of you are very kind

yes canal - and narrow foot paths along them and bumpy rides can be boring and hazardous
Cuddly Ocelot

Post by Cuddly Ocelot »

crazydave789 wrote:get a couple of mistresses - you need an incentive :D

make sure they live at least 10 miles apart on differing bus routes so they don't bump into each other at bingo.

In my youth I had several although they all seemed to have male first names ie Ben Lomand; Ben Nevis; Ben McDuie plus Saddleback; Skiddaw; Fairfield etc. Oh the joys of being a young and physically fit mountaineer.

Just my weird humour.
Our streets are littered with expensive, rotting and polluting tin cans obstructing the free passage of pedestrians, horses, cyclists and motor vehicles