Is Running the answer to Nirvanna? guardian explains

mercalia

Is Running the answer to Nirvanna? guardian explains

Post by mercalia »

so the Guardian says running is so good to do. What about cycling? which is better as having a pratical use?

What does running do to your brain?
"A 2018 experiment from West Michigan University, for example, showed that running quickly for half an hour improves “cortical flicker frequency” threshold. This is associated with the ability to better process information. Two others, from the Lithuanian Sports University and Nottingham Trent University, showed that interval running improves aspects of “executive function”. This is a suite of mental high-level faculties that include the ability to marshall attention, tune out distractions, switch between tasks and solve problems. Among the young people studied, measurable gains were clear immediately after 10 minutes of interval sprints. They also accumulated after seven weeks of training."

seems a narrow research to JUST consider running? or is running special.

yes. I remember seeing another bit of research that compared habitual runners knees to those of old people and found them comparable - worn out from the thud-thud up and down forces on them.

typical Guardian half truths?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2018/jun/21/what-does-running-do-to-your-brain?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=278793&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
paddler

Re: Is Running the answer to Nirvanna? guardian explains

Post by paddler »

mercalia wrote:so the Guardian says running is so good to do. What about cycling? which is better as having a pratical use?

"A 2018 experiment from West Michigan University, for example, showed that running quickly for half an hour improves “cortical flicker frequency” threshold. This is associated with the ability to better process information. Two others, from the Lithuanian Sports University and Nottingham Trent University, showed that interval running improves aspects of “executive function”. This is a suite of mental high-level faculties that include the ability to marshall attention, tune out distractions, switch between tasks and solve problems. Among the young people studied, measurable gains were clear immediately after 10 minutes of interval sprints. They also accumulated after seven weeks of training."

yes. I remember seeing another bit of research that compared habitual runners knees to those of old people and found them comparable - worn out from the thud-thud up and down forces on them.

Can you provide a link to the research about runners knees please?

Dave

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2018/jun/21/what-does-running-do-to-your-brain?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=278793&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Oh good grief. Do these scientists never think about what they are doing. Of course the reported facilities improve. They are precisely the abilities that serve you well is part of your evolutionary path in running down prey across the savanna.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

paddler wrote:
mercalia wrote:so the Guardian says running is so good to do. What about cycling? which is better as having a pratical use?

Can you provide a link to the research about runners knees please?

Dave

alas no just one of the many articles I read on line - that one was about the many young things who take up jogging as a healthy activity. maybe was another Guardian article. Thats all I remember of it. was not discussing "professional" runners but those you see alot jogging around the park.
so ignore that comment if you want

This isnt the article but does indicate that you have to do it properly - or else. which many dont, hence the problems

https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/what-joint-docs-say-about-running/
so many ifs and buts?

I remember one young lady on Streatham Common who clearly knew how to do it -her feet were so light on the ground, she seemed to barely touch the ground, she seemed to just float over the ground noiselessly. I have seens others there who thud-thud...