so now walking ( 10,000 steps ) isnt enough

mercalia

so now walking ( 10,000 steps ) isnt enough

Post by mercalia »

but no mention of cyling by the Guardian :roll:

"Strengthening and balance activities are vital for future wellbeing, says Public Health England"
"The best forms of exercise, according to the review of evidence, are ball games, racket sports, dance, Nordic walking and resistance training – usually training with weights, but including body weight exercises which can be performed anywhere."

well cycling supplies the balance activity? does lifting my bike up 3 flights of stairs daily count towards the Strengthening activities?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jul/03/people-not-getting-enough-exercise-from-long-walks-health-report?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=280044&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
Cunobelin

Re: so now walking ( 10,000 steps ) isnt enough

Post by Cunobelin »

The 10,000 was always a random figure...

In the run-up to the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, a company came up with a device which they started marketing to the health-conscious.
It was called a Manpo-Kei. In Japanese, "man" means 10,000, "po" means steps and "kei" means meter. So it was, literally, a 10,000 steps meter.
The device was an early pedometer, based on the work of Dr Yoshiro Hatano, a young academic at Kyushu University of Health and Welfare.
Dr Hatano was worried that the Japanese were busy importing a slothful American lifestyle, as well as a love of watching baseball, and wanted to help them get more active.
He reckoned that if he could persuade his fellow Japanese to increase their daily steps from 4,000 to around 10,000 then they would burn off approximately 500 extra calories a day and remain slim.
That, apparently, was how the "10,000 steps a day" regime was born.

There was also evidence that on occasions, the "need" to pass 10,000 steps after a stressful day was actually an adverse effect on health when compared with an activity that lowered stress
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

mercalia wrote:but no mention of cyling by the Guardian :roll:

well cycling supplies the balance activity? does lifting my bike up 3 flights of stairs daily count towards the Strengthening activities?

Yes carrying your bike up flights of stairs does count towards strengthening - but probably not enough.

Elsewhere the report does say that cycling contributes to aerobic capacity and balance.

IMO strength is equally important - and it also contributes to balance. As we age we lose muscle mass and strength which are important for day to day activities.
It's noticeable to me that some older cyclists become round shouldered and frail looking despite having good aerobic capacity.
It was apparent to me that at 77 I lacked the strength that I had been used to and to prevent deteriorating further I joined a gym - I am not looking to develop a highly muscled body - just to maintain my present strength , although it is possible to increase strength at any age.
When I was in my teens I went to a "weight training for cyclists " course , at 18 I could perform what is known as a "military press" lifting around
120 lbs overhead. Now I can lift around half of that. I just don't want to deteriorate further.
hondated

Post by hondated »

I dont know whether 10,000 steps has any affect but just recently I met a fella who had clearly lost a lot of weight and when I asked him how he did it.
He told me that it was by cutting rubbish out of his diet ie sausages, biscuits and regular long walks at a normally walking pace. Which sounds good to me.