Arterial Thrombosis Or Something Similar

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Arterial Thrombosis Or Something Similar

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I'm not sure about this-
https://www.theengineer.co.uk/uv-laser- ... -arteries/
Sounds interesting even if you have to pay?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
More from the NHS-
https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/sites/default/fi ... 003055.pdf

"Whilst the blockages causing claudication never clear themselves, the smaller arteries in the leg may enlarge to carry blood around blockages. This is called the collateral circulation. It is thought that exercise can encourage the development of collateral circulation, causing smaller arteries to enlarge, allowing them to carry more blood, and therefore more oxygen to the muscles."

"How often should I exercise?
You should walk or exercise a minimum of three times per week for 30 minutes, although you may have to work up to that level if you are not used to doing that much activity. At the start
of each week, look at your diary and plan when you will walk or exercise and write it down. You can then write down the amount of exercise you managed to achieve against each time you planned to exercise.
How hard should I exercise?
To gain the maximum benefit, you need to work through
the pain and try to maintain that level for a short period,
then rest and try again. You should aim to increase the time you can exercise without rest. It is good to push through
your claudication pain, but if you are getting significant pain elsewhere, for example in joints or your chest, please see your GP and discuss your concerns."
peterb

Post by peterb »

Thanks for your comprehensive post, and interesting information. I'm 73, almost 74. My PAD affects arteries in both legs, above and below the knees - calcification of the puncture sites in the groin from coronary angioplasties and stenting procedures (the first in the early 1990s). I was advised by my consultant that surgery would be possible and available, four operations, each with considerable risk (at worst loss of limb/s). Our decision was that it was safer to continue with an exercise regime until the condition became worse, unbearable, or of course, clinically essential. Subsequently I have moved to another part of the country and the approach here seems to be that surgery won't be considered until I'm unable to walk more than just a few yards, that my symptoms aren't bad enough! I My problems emerged following a right hand total hip replacement in 2016, during the recovery period and the increasing exercise involved in rehabilitation I began to experience calf pain, first in my right leg, then both. Cycling was becoming more painful too. As this followed the THR, the hip procedure and rehabilitation became something of a red herring when trying to diagnose the cause of the leg pain. To cut a long story short, and many scans later, severe arterial stenosis was diagnosed. I attended the intermittent claudication exercise classes offered by my hospital trust (torture sessions - a series of exercises designed to promote calf pain, eg walking on tiptoe for 8 minutes!) with some benefit (recommended but not available everywhere). I was prescribed Naftdrofuryl, but with little effect. I currently take Aspirin, Clopidogrel, Rosuvastatin, and Amlodopine, all lowest dose, and various supplements, such as plant sterols and Omega 3 capsules.
In 2018 I bought an electric road bike - an Orbea Gain - as by then I could not ride even my carbon bike more than a few miles without considerable ride-stopping pain. I try to ride or walk everyday. I try to walk at least 1 mile. Calf pain stops me after about 600 yards, on the flat, and I'm using walking poles, I rest until pain subsides then continue. I can only manage a shorter distance without poles or on any gradient, Steep hills are a no-no. I can ride the ebike as far as the battery allows, but I dread running out of power as riding on any sort of gradient unassisted is hard and painful. I can manage rides with the local club as long as really steep hills are not involved (pushing the bike is painful!) I try to keep up the exercise regime, but the pain involved can get me down at times. If it does I remind myself that the exercise session that ran by the physios just before ours was for PAD amputees!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Originally late 80's to early nineties, I was being diagnosed for pain in calf, which they could not find anything wrong and was accused of being psychosomatic (not to me but in my notes).
It was only after video x-raying my artery that they found the problem which had surgery to clean out the area of partial blockage, I think I was 30 odd then. This procedure was in its infancy, and I was luck that a pioneering surgeon lived local.

Whilst having various test which was also stays in hospital over night, it opened my eyes to PAD and the operation of a y shaped tube placed in the aorta and thigh arteries, as I was in a ward of older not that old some in fifties, patients with circulation problems.
One guy could not weight bear on one leg post op and a few days later he lost his lower leg he was 53.
Another had gangrene, simply old age I think though active, I over heard the doctor saying to a nurse after he lost one leg that the other foot would be next...................................(that image in a film of the patient coming round and feeling for there removed leg............witnessed that!)
Sorry for last bit.

When I exercise I am pain free, its only the meds which have made me unfit at the moment.....I hope...I have had it before and its depressing more than once over the last 30 odd years, gave up cycling for ten years once.
Sobering when you get to circulation problems, I am prepared for what ever and will try to keep active.
Yours I know is extreme, I wish you good luck.
Jo May

Post by Jo May »

Hi.
Another vascular sufferer here. My sympathies (empathies) to both you guys above.
I was diagnosed T2 diabetic in 2015, the with PAD later that year, then a blocked aorta (at the join at the iliacs) the following year.
Since 2011 I'd felt increasingly achy legs and back while cycling or walking, but did keep going, although in a limited capacity.
I changed my diet totally to low arb high fat (LCHF) after delving into https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/ where people had lost weight and come off medications after a lifestyle change. Don't know if that link worked??
For the PAD it was aspirin and naftidrofuryl. For both the T2 and PAD I started to exercise more, It was pretty uncomfortable to start with, 200 yards or so was sore on calfs and hips / lower back, particularly uphill, but gradually I pushed through and things improved a bit.
Rergarding the aorta and the vascular surgeon said he could operate ('Y' thing previously mentioned), but he said there were risks involved. I told him I was walking up to a mile a day, and it seemed to be improving little by little, so he said he would not suggest an operation at that point. I was anxious to agree with that! (I wasn't sure at the time whether that decision was medical of financial!).
He prescribed me a statin, low dose, which he said would stabilize the plaques / blockage. I refused to take a statin for cholesterol because I feel there is a big con going on with that. I'm a fan of Dr Malcolm Kendrick and others.
I got up to walking 10 miles a day, pushing myself pretty hard really - through fear of the alternatives I suppose - you probably know what mean there. I was told I need to create alternative routes for the blood to get into my legs, which I suppose I must have done.
Now I walk about 4 miles a day at a reasonablr pace but also cycle (e-bike) 2 - 4 times a week. It's still uncomfortable at times but I try and keep going. Every time it hurts I imaging shoving a bit more blood down south! Although, if I stop the discomfort goes pretty quickly. Also I renovated 5 houses since my blockage diagnosis, plenty of lifting / heavy work etc. So that seems to bear out the 'keep exercising' mantra.
My diet is still LCHF (I do drink wine, bit to much perhaps, but am currently on a 1 month alcoholiday).
My vascular man said no smoking, good diet, plenty of exericse and keep taking the tablets.He also said that he would see me again if really needed him! Five years on, I haven't seen him. I think about things every day, and it's not nice. I'm doing all I can I think.
This is not meant to be a self-pitying post, rather one to say, 'come on lads, let's keep going.'
(I'm 61. Mind 24, body about 80!
Best of luck to you. I really do know what you're going through.