Diabetes Advice

Mark.Holland

Diabetes Advice

Post by Mark.Holland »

I've recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

Apart from a phone call from my doctor and a brief appointment with the practice nurse (follow-up is scheduled for a few weeks), little advice has been received so far other than 'try exercising more' and 'try and think more about your diet'.

So, on the exercise advice I've dusted off the bike (it's not been used for various reasons) and went out at the weekend for a gentle spin with my wife and youngest. About half a mile from home I started to experience what can only be described as my first 'hypo' since being diagnosed (I now recognise that I experienced one of these last year cycling up Wether Fell in the Yorkshire Dales - a silly idea in itself).

I've since found some very theoretical advice around exercise and hypos but was wondering if anyone had any practical first hand experience to share?
hodge

Re: Diabetes Advice

Post by hodge »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... t-27-carbs

this program about carbohydrates also features a doctor who has successfully used a modified diet to help people with type 2 diabetes, to surprisingly good effect.
The program is still available for viewing on iplayer for another 16 days.
horizon

Post by horizon »

(I'm no expert on this.)

All cyclists are vulnerable to the "bonk" if their sugar levels drop too much due to over exertion and need to keep an eye on food and fluid intake during a demanding ride. Throw in hot weather, steep hills, lack of practice etc and Type 2 and I would have thought you would have created the perfect storm.

I would say, lower the mileage and hills to begin with, eat and drink small amounts regularly and stop for brief breaks.

It would be really good if you could record as much as possible about your ride, keep up the cycling and then report back in a month or two to see if there is a change.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'm not diabetic, but I have family members who are & have experienced the bonk (hypoglycemia) myself. I did so once when pregnant & now seem more vulnerable to it.

My advice is eat little and often (don't go long periods without food), drink plenty, replenish electrolytes (with drops in water, rather than energy drinks), and carry extra food in case of need. Take something that helps you. I usually carry a spare banana, and some powdered mix for an energy drink. I don't really like the energy drinks, but they are useful in an emergency.

I can kind of feel it coming on. If I start to feel kind of sluggish, low in energy, or I notice my speed going down, I probably need to stop and drink or eat. If this is combined with a lack of hunger despite not eating in a while, irritability, or the start of a headache, I need to stop immediately.

To avoid it getting to that point, I try to:
-drink frequently (as much as 500 ml every hour, when exerting myself in hot weather)
-eat something every 2 - 3 hours (sandwich, nuts or fruit are the most common things; I might stop for an ice cream in hot weather)
-have a proper sit down meal at least every 4 - 5 hours

In order for me to experience a problem early in a ride, it usually takes a combination of factors, such as not getting enough sleep and not eating a proper breakfast.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
horizon

Post by horizon »

Vorpal wrote:
I can kind of feel it coming on. If I start to feel kind of sluggish, low in energy, or I notice my speed going down, I probably need to stop and drink or eat. If this is combined with a lack of hunger despite not eating in a while, irritability, or the start of a headache, I need to stop immediately.

I think mood is a very good indicator, especially if you're struggling with say a mechanical fault.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I'm newly diagnosed type 2, I was surprised how easy it was to lower ones blood sugar, I took in before a turbo ride of one hour is was 10.6, did it again after is was 5.2, with that in mind I now take something sweet with me if I'm going to be out more than an hour and take my blood monitor with me also as a just in case.
horizon

Post by horizon »

hodge wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b5y6c0/ad/the-truth-about-27-carbs

this program about carbohydrates also features a doctor who has successfully used a modified diet to help people with type 2 diabetes, to surprisingly good effect.

Compulsory viewing for anyone concerned about diabetes - do watch it through to the end. Extraordinary.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I was diagnosed with type 2 about 12 years ago. I would advise the following…

Set about getting your weight down by a couple of stone by cutting down on carbs and just eating less. Couple this with regular exercise, starting conservatively and gradually steping it up to the point you are athletic. If you are up for it you might consider looking at the 800 calorie a day rapid weight loss diet which can wipe out your disbetes. I did something similar losing 48lbs and it did stop the diabetes, but I did slack off and regained some of the weight so now I have to take a small dose of metformin again to control my blood sugar.
Your episode sounded alarming, I did have one once so I know how it feels. Everyone is different but I believe the treatnent of weight loss and exercise will do you no harm and probably a lot of good. Any questions please feel free to PM me.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
barrym

Post by barrym »

Check out diabetes.co.uk forum. Some amazing folk over there. A knowledge level far beyond that which you're likely to get at your local surgery. Worth spending some time there.

HTH and good luck.
--
Cheers
Barry
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Have you been given any monitoring devices for your blood sugar levels?
Have you been referred to dietetics?
I work with women who have temporary type 2 diabetes... they are given quite decent amounts of good quality carbohydrates to keep their body fuelled.
Ditch chocolate and cakes, they get small regular meals, with mid morning snacks including x 2 Digestive Biscuits...

You may well have got the cyclist's bonk complicated by your recent diagnosis. Especially if you have begun to cut down on carbs in your diet.

Look at eating 'good' carbs, oats etc., items that stay in the gut a longer time and offer slow release energy. When cycling make sure you have some snacks such as plain digestive biscuits with you to snack on.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mark.Holland

Post by Mark.Holland »

horizon wrote:
hodge wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b5y6c0/ad/the-truth-about-27-carbs

Compulsory viewing for anyone concerned about diabetes - do watch it through to the end. Extraordinary.

A well spent hour. I certainly learnt a lot more than listening to other family members who have tried to educate me recently, time to pass on the knowledge.

Also went back and re-watched 'Fixing Dad', I'd forgotten I'd kept a recording, both programs are driving me on.
Mark.Holland

Post by Mark.Holland »

barrym wrote:Check out diabetes.co.uk forum. Some amazing folk over there. A knowledge level far beyond that which you're likely to get at your local surgery. Worth spending some time there.

HTH and good luck.

Thanks Barry. I'd spent some time on diabetes.co.uk site but not looked at the forum. A lot of type 1 cyclists posting, but the same rules really apply. Some inspirational stories
barrym

Post by barrym »

Mark.Holland wrote:
barrym wrote:Check out diabetes.co.uk forum. Some amazing folk over there. A knowledge level far beyond that which you're likely to get at your local surgery. Worth spending some time there.

HTH and good luck.

Thanks Barry. I'd spent some time on diabetes.co.uk site but not looked at the forum. A lot of type 1 cyclists posting, but the same rules really apply. Some inspirational stories
If you want to get really hard core check out https://www.teamnovonordisk.com/.
--
Cheers
Barry
Mark.Holland

Post by Mark.Holland »

eileithyia wrote:Have you been given any monitoring devices for your blood sugar levels?
Have you been referred to dietetics?
I work with women who have temporary type 2 diabetes... they are given quite decent amounts of good quality carbohydrates to keep their body fuelled.
Ditch chocolate and cakes, they get small regular meals, with mid morning snacks including x 2 Digestive Biscuits...

You may well have got the cyclist's bonk complicated by your recent diagnosis. Especially if you have begun to cut down on carbs in your diet.

Look at eating 'good' carbs, oats etc., items that stay in the gut a longer time and offer slow release energy. When cycling make sure you have some snacks such as plain digestive biscuits with you to snack on.

Hi, all I've been given so far is a brief 'talk' and some leaflets. I go back a week on monday to see the practice nurse to 'ask any questions' - exercise is the key one for me here and how I should manage my blood sugar around it. However, the first thing I did having taken a call from my doctor was to invest in a monitoring device. I work well with data and statistics so it seemed the obvious place to go, plus I was in a level of denial (they've declined to do a second HBA1C test), generally I test morning before breakfast and 2 hours after dinner, plus any time I start to feel 'odd'.

Chocolate, cakes and sugar have gone, to be fair it wasn't too difficult. I'm planning better meals, and I'm feeling generally better already.
Mark.Holland

Post by Mark.Holland »

Folks, thanks for taking the time to respond, it's much appreciated.

I'm moving forward slowly, I believe it's more an issue of confidence, learning about my body again, so slowly it is, and with company.

Went out yesterday with my youngest for a (very) gently spin along the local canal, he stops me getting too excited so I get to turn a low gear to keep the legs moving.

I'll keep building with him until he goes on holiday with his grandparents, then it's a first test whilst the kids are on holiday. I've talked Mrs H into spending the day at Rutland Water, hire bikes (she declined a tandem, no sense of adventure), and do a circuit or two whilst enjoying the views. My plan then will be to have everything under control by September, cycle to work a couple of days a week and get out on the local group's saturday rides