Heatwave

foxyrider

Heatwave

Post by foxyrider »

How are people coping with this summer's heat - on & off two wheels?

TBH i'm struggling a bit when i'm not being active, drinking plenty but my concentration is shot and sleep has been hard to come many nights.

Bizarrely if I go out on the bike I seem less affected, I guess the cooling effect of moving along at 10/15 mph has something to do with that.

I don't generally go looking for hot weather but try to enjoy it when it's at hand.

So, any tips for keeping cool?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
flat tyre

Re: Heatwave

Post by flat tyre »

Not too badly when out on the bike. I've done several longish rides in the heat this summer. I find I mostly keep quite cool when actually cycling but the problem comes when I stop, I have be quite careful to find somewhere very cool to stop for a rest and a drink otherwise I can feel myself overheating. Also I have to keep reminding myself to drink water, even if that does mean more frequent stops to refill my water bottle.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

It's one of those highly individual things. I cycled miles as a youngster, back when we had proper summers. And I seldom took more than 2 litres with me for a days ride. Admittedly going at a fast touring pace rather than a race pace, except for the hills which I enjoyed launching myself up.
So advice, well stick to what you normally do, but moderate it a little.
Remember that if you really do overcook it, you stop sweating when you're in the most serious heatstroke phase which is a killer. Spin easy and time your stops for where there's a cool breeze. I was up Cheddar Gorge recently. Actually in the middle of the rock (I mean between the faces, I'm not a fossil yet!) I had a nice breeze going.
If you get food poisoning or any other illness that dehydrates you, forget physical exertion for 3 days at least so your body can recover.
Don't swill neat water down by the gallon when sweating, you lose electrolytes which include potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium. These need to be topped up too. Excess water intake leads to another potentially fatal condition: hyponatremia.
cyclingmad

Post by cyclingmad »

Im not coping well at all with this humid weather. Feel far too lethargic to do anything let alone cycle :/
Feel bad about saying this as I know come winter I will be wishing for the hot weather again.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad reports that in a few decades temperatures in heavily populated parts of China will often exceed 35° WBT (Wet bulb temperature), at these temperatures the body can no longer lose heat by sweating and death soon follows

Looking forward a lot to European autumn :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

I love it in one way that you just got out in a top, no need for layers etc but I sweat a lot ... managed a 223km ride but felt weird afterwards but this weekend will be trying 423km so I will be starting out at 4aM to get a lot of riding in before predicted temps of 30C so gives myself time to stop and rest up if needed.

also make sure I plan my routes as much through populated areas as possible to ensure I can fill up if needed.
robing

Post by robing »

I love it :D When the heatwave broke on Friday I was already missing it the next day. :(
But fear not, it's coming back! 30C again by Friday :D
But then I leave to cycle across France where it's only going to get hotter!