RECUMBENT POSITION AND SUN/HEATBURN

nickodemia

RECUMBENT POSITION AND SUN/HEATBURN

Post by nickodemia »

When we ride our Hase Pino tandem I am in the recumbent front seat and in hot sunny weather my thighs get very burnt. I have tried factor 50 sun screen, wearing three quarters, wearing thick denim, combining 2 of these at the same time but whenever it’s warm/ hot sunny weather I still end up with a very red rash. So I don’t really know if it’s sunburn or heatburn. On our regular upright tandem I can wear shorts and I’m fine. Are there any other recumbent riders out there who have suffered this and found a solution ? At the moment we can’t ride the Pino in decent weather and would really like to do so again.
Cyril Haearn

Re: RECUMBENT POSITION AND SUN/HEATBURN

Post by Cyril Haearn »

In October you will be able to ride it in decent weather :wink:

In really hot countries people cover up with light cotton, maybe two loose layers, the Arabs and Africans know what they are doing I think

Suncream may have health drawbacks as discussed elsewhere, it contains tiny particles that may migrate into the skin
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Sunburn is really about UV exposure. Factor 50 cream or cloth covering really should cut that to negligible unless you're really sensitive, but your experience upright suggests not so I doubt it's sunburn.

I burn relatively easily but SPF 30 is plenty to keep me okay on my 'bent, so not sure what your particular issue is.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
hayers

Post by hayers »

Factor 50 (the spf) refers to the uvb protection, uva can also cause damage. Some creams also rate their uva protection - eg the kids suncream we use is "high" - might we worth looking at that as well as the spf.

Would concur however with advice to cover as much as possible.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

That's the thing with spf figure it doesn't sony to both a and b uv types. The 1 to 5 stars on the back of the container needs to be considered. Some of the biggest names in sun lotion sell high spf cream but only 3 stars. How much better are same spf factor creams that have 5 stars?

Mind you unless you've got a sensitivity to uv light use of good, effective, high spf cream with repeated application should reduce risk of sunburn. I used to know someone who had to us all day cream spf50 (rieter P20 50spf) then half an hour later a normal 30spf then half an hour later go out into the sun. Then the normal 30 spf goes on every hour half or so. Failure resulted in sunburn. Medical condition apparently.

It could be something else but wear tight weave, full leg trousers in a light colour might help if it is uv exposure issue.