Calorific Intake

foxyrider

Calorific Intake

Post by foxyrider »

So i'm not a calorie counter and don't intend to start now but I do try to eat sensibly.

Thing is, i'm a little unsure of what I should be aiming at. NHS suggest someone of my build/age should consume @ 1900kcal a day - I can live with that. Then I do some exercise, Strava suggests I got through @ 3000kcal on today's, admittedly quite strenuous ride.

You might be ahead of me here, so how many Kcal should I be consuming to maintain the status quo? Keep to the NHS figure, go for the used figure, add the two together, some sort of calculation between the two?

Thoughts?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Paulatic

Re: Calorific Intake

Post by Paulatic »

Follow your appetite and regular checks on the scales will tell you if you’ve got it right.
On my recent LEJOG the computer, every day, told me I’d burned more than 3000 calories. I must of eat around 5000 a day and I lost 7lb over two weeks.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

on a long ride, eat when you feel like it, eat what you know you will be comfortable with and if you do not count calories then what is the issue ? If you lose weight then most will be likely to water loss.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Fast short tem weight loss will be water for sure.
If Paulatic did not put all his weight back on within a few days of finish then (7Ibs is too much not to be severely dehydrated) then its body weight, and simply not eating enough unless he is dieting.
Long rides never sees me outside 1 kg lighter even two days of hard graft I am still within 1 kg.
I tend to overeat by most peoples books but don't lack energy at all even not eating heartily at home post ride.

Low to med heart rate will be fat dependable exercise.
I see that sky team meter carbs intake by the hour.......................at that level of exercise body needs carbs, fat dependant is still in the labs............

Many ultra distance audaxers complain of losing weight, GP says did not eat enough.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

foxyrider wrote:Then I do some exercise, Strava suggests I got through @ 3000kcal on today's, admittedly quite strenuous ride.

The big question is that when Strava, Garmin, whever says you got through xxxxx kcal on todays ride, is that xxxxx extra kcal (i.e. above your normal NHS recommended intake) or is it total kcal used. Becuae a 5 hour ride is a significant portion of the active portion of a day and normal living would have used a number of kcals over that 5 hrs.

Ian
whoof

Post by whoof »

Paulatic wrote:Follow your appetite.

Unfortunately if I followed my appetite I would probably weigh about 100kg. :(
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Psamathe wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Then I do some exercise, Strava suggests I got through @ 3000kcal on today's, admittedly quite strenuous ride.

The big question is that when Strava, Garmin, whever says you got through xxxxx kcal on todays ride, is that xxxxx extra kcal (i.e. above your normal NHS recommended intake) or is it total kcal used. Becuae a 5 hour ride is a significant portion of the active portion of a day and normal living would have used a number of kcals over that 5 hrs.

Ian

also lets remember those totals are very very very rough guides. Unless you have had a full proper metabolic tests (which costs !!) then it is only guess work. Simple rule is never to be hungry on a ride and if you are you have gone past a point ....
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Fast short tem weight loss will be water for sure.
If Paulatic did not put all his weight back on within a few days of finish then (7Ibs is too much not to be severely dehydrated) then its body weight, and simply not eating enough unless he is dieting.
Long rides never sees me outside 1 kg lighter even two days of hard graft I am still within 1 kg.
I tend to overeat by most peoples books but don't lack energy at all even not eating heartily at home post ride.

Low to med heart rate will be fat dependable exercise.
I see that sky team meter carbs intake by the hour.......................at that level of exercise body needs carbs, fat dependant is still in the labs............

Many ultra distance audaxers complain of losing weight, GP says did not eat enough.

Just got weighed and four weeks on I’m still, at least, 7 lbs lighter. I doubt I was ever dehydrated as I don’t sweat much not even on the very hot days.
My avg heart rate over those 14 days ranged between 75 and 100 with most days in the mid 80’s. A typical days eating was breakfast first thing, 2 nd breakfast on the road, lunch followed by often a 'meal deal' in the afternoon. 5 bars x 140 calories/ day ( I used to eat one every hour) followed by Dinner at night and more snacking. I don’t think anyone thought I was dieting :)

E2E info
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Half a stone lighter cant be bad :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Think you put it a bit clearer than I did!

How did you know I did 5 hours? Well it was slightly over in fact and I crossed from here to Lancashire and back so a little bit of climbing :lol:

I'm okay feeding myself on rides - well okay sometimes I forget or go further than I planned! Today, after a breakfast bar and coffee I got through a SIS bar and a mini malt loaf before egg on toast and a bun for lunch. A not very healthy Chinese for tea (it was gonna be a salad but it didn't seem like enough). At a guess about 2500kcal.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Paulatic wrote:Follow your appetite and regular checks on the scales will tell you if you’ve got it right.
On my recent LEJOG the computer, every day, told me I’d burned more than 3000 calories. I must of eat around 5000 a day and I lost 7lb over two weeks.

3 kg lost, from where, do you look or feel different?
I would like to keep the same weight but with less fat + more muscle :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Follow your appetite and regular checks on the scales will tell you if you’ve got it right.

3 kg lost, from where, do you look or feel different?
I would like to keep the same weight but with less fat + more muscle :wink:

Trousers are fitting a little bit easier around the waist and the bit below the ribs isn’t sticking out as proud. :lol:

E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Paulatic wrote:Trousers are fitting a little bit easier around the waist and the bit below the ribs isn’t sticking out as proud. :lol:
I've gradually lost weight over the last dozen years.
I was over 13stone then gradually dropped to 12st 7lbs and remained like that for some time, but now I'm 11st 12lbs.
I put it down to being older and not eating as much. Sometimes I only have one meal, sometimes two, but rarely three in a day these days, and I detest eating late in the evening so I'd rather skip it.

Yesterday, I rode 50 miles. I'd had a couple of slices of toast and marmalade for breakfast, and a tuna roll for lunch. That was it all day except for a few beers in the evening.

I went into town the other day after clearing out my shirts. Many of them were way too big for me now, so one of the charity shops got them. I sorted out the trousers and shorts last year, and a leather belt I've worn with trousers for many years is put on it's tightest hole.
Mick F. Cornwall
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

dunno what weight you are, how fast you were going or how far on each day but I would burn that in about 60 miles at a moderate pace, we burn more calories after exercise above what our normal basal rate would be and this is never counted on computers/GPS etc.
it also depends on when you're eating and what plus on top of that when you weigh yourself, there can easily be a 2lb differential plus as mentioned sometimes we can get dehydrated and weigh which slants things.

people get obsessed with weight but it should be about keeping a balance on the fat, the simplest measure is that around the waistline, I'm back to my rugby weight but a few too many % points on the fat side of things though improving, If I got down to 90kg (currently 96 down from a lot more) and retained the muscle mass I'd be well chuffed.

On a hard effort 40 mile ride I don't eat much but post ride I can knock back a lot of protein, two boiled eggs, couple of chicken salad pittas, cream cheese/fruit mix with ease. I used to cook for my rugby team after I retired playing and the year I was doing it we won the national amateur competition so I must have been doing something right, even a few opposing players said they wanted to get us in the cup away because the food was amazing :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One, would like to know more about rugby (league or union?)
Had to play it at my minor public school, put me off forever

What about h*****s for rugby players? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies