Fragile hands (rheumatoid arthritis)

PT1029

Fragile hands (rheumatoid arthritis)

Post by PT1029 »

An aquaintance is looking to buy a new bike, but has hand issues, she says :-
"I may be needing to get a new bike that fits me better, as I have fragile hands ( rheumatoid arthritis ) and my 20 year-old Giant may be exacerbating the problems I've been having.
Do you know of anyone, or any organisation that can help with this? My local bike shop reckon the bike is too small for my longish arms, which puts my wrists at the wrong angle. The seat won't go back any further."

Anyone with any ideas on this problem?

Thanks.
LollyKat

Re: Fragile hands (rheumatoid arthritis)

Post by LollyKat »

What kind of handlebars does she have? If they are "straight" bars her wrists will be at a bad angle anyway. Bar ends or some kind of butterfly bars may help, or see 531colin's current set up: viewtopic.php?p=1118907#p1118907
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

What about butterfly bars? You can have loads of hand positions and the dense foam rubber is soothing on your hands. You can keep moving your hands around the bars to ease the pain. An adjustable stem might also solve the stretching problem.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

longer handlebar stems, thicker ergonomic grips and maybe butterfly bars as they have alots of positions from low to upright. you can put thick rubber around the ring with extra tape wrapping and rest type grips by the brakes.

it might be viable to make up some from of wrist/forearm rest to take the pressure off the hands. there are rigs for hand amputees so must be something out there.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

A more uprigth style of bike, like a town / Dutch style bike or a recumbent may also be solutions.

I have arthritis in my hands, and find drop handlebars to be more comfortable, but I can imagine that might not be a solution for everyone.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Thanks for your advice. After a delay, she finally got sorted :-

Some months ago now I asked you if you could point me to some advice about buying a new bike to suit my tricky hands. I immediately got a wonderfully detailed, appropriate response which cheered me a lot!
Broken bones ensued, which meant no cycling for a while and then I lost the confidence to find the right bike. (Hate shopping!) However, I finally got one, a Raleigh Pioneer, with infinitely adjustable handlebars, a light frame, easy brakes and gears and importantly the right size for me. Rode it into town and back last night, sitting upright, my first ride for over 6 months, and it was a delight! No sore hands or wrists today.
The guys at Reg Taylors on the Iffley Road were infinitely patient with me and very helpful with tryouts and adjustments.
I feel very lucky to live somewhere with such helpful, experienced people in my corner.
Thank you.

I realise that the local infrastructure and big picture issues are crucial for campaigning. However, a different kind of idea for a future meeting could cover how to ride a bike without wrecking your body. I now notice people at all sorts of wrong angles, wrists at 45 degrees and so on. Just a thought. Anything to keep lots of us on the road.
Very best wishes.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sorry to hear about the broken bones, but good news about sorting a bike that she's happy with.

Thanks for the update!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom