Returning to cycling > turbo trainer advice

random37

Returning to cycling > turbo trainer advice

Post by random37 »

Hi

I am really struggling to get my confidence back on the bike. I think the problem is partly that I am unfamiliar with riding after (a) long break and (b) vertigo the year before last. I start thinking I'm not fast enough to pedal out of trouble, and then that I'm about to fall off. Neither of these things are true, but it is stopping

I think I am going to get a turbo trainer. It will let me build up my strength, and hopefully give me the "feel" of riding a bike while being able to control my environment.

Any advice on which one to go for? I've used them in the past, but not for years. I have a mountain bike.

Thanks in advance!
landsurfer

Re: Returning to cycling > turbo trainer advice

Post by landsurfer »

Don't Bother ... unless you enjoy the total boredom of turbo training .... i use mine as a bike stand ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
random37

Post by random37 »

Thank you.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Some of the more modern turbos are "interactive", so you can use them in conjunction with Zwift. You need a laptop, tablet or phone to connect to Zwift and you can try it free for 7 days, but it's a way of making the riding more interesting. Zwift is cycling in a virtual online world, interacting with other riders.

Try searching for Shane Miller or DC Rainmaker on YouTube. Both have lots of experience of using Zwift and they have tested out lots of trainers. Shane in particular has a video on how to do Zwift on a budget. I think the cheapest interactive trainer is the Elite Qubo but some of the Tacx ones are also suitable.

By being interactive, the trainer responds to the "virtual" road, making pedalling harder when you are going uphill, and easier when you are riding in a group. You are also cycling in a virtual world, rather than staring at a brick wall.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
whoof

Post by whoof »

A turbo can help with fitness if you can put up with the monotony.
However if you want help with riding and balance unfortunately the bike is bolted into a turbo trainer and you could go to sleep on it and the bike won't fall over.

You might want to consider rollers. The rear wheel sits between two drums, the front sits on top of a third drum and the front and rear drums are connected. There isn't the high resistance of a turbo trainer but you do ride on top of it and balance. If you do this in a door way you have some assurance that you won't fall off.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer has a degree of side to side movement, so it mimics riding on the road to a certain extent. There is also a version that is interactive so can be used with Zwift.
random37

Post by random37 »

Thanks everyone. I don't need help with balance or videos. What I'm hoping I'll achieve is familiarity.

I'm looking for monotony, and just to feel comfortable while physically sat on the bike. The things that are making me stop riding are purely inside my head.

Maybe I'll get a set of rollers instead. I used to be able to ride on rollers.

Could anyone recommend a set of rollers?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The better rollers are the ones that have shaped rollers to stop you riding off the edge, so either Tacx Antares or Elite Arion Parabolic rollers.

If you don't need the interactivity, then any turbo will suit. Elite and Tacx are reputable manufacturers or Decathlon do own brand budget ones, if still considering a turbo. Or you can probably pick one up cheap second hand. People buy them and find out how boring they are to use, so don't use them.

If you are looking for monotony, then a turbo will provide it!
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

I am struggling to read past your saying “neither of these this is true it’s in [your] head “

Of course I don’t know how serious this vertigo is. Wether it’s constant or comes on unexpected or instant.

Scout out your area for a public Bridal way. Then get your mountain bike out. And just take it easy. Cars have no right of way. And who cares what anyone else thinks. They don’t know your situation. They will over take you and that will be the end of it. And if you can feel a dizzy spell comming stop and sit.

I’m comming across really arrogant and I don’t mean to be. But sometimes the best way to overcome fear is face it. And if Vertigo is that bad I don’t see how any amount of turbo training will make you comfortable outside under your own balance.
My poor poor bottom
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I don't know if this is directly related to your problem.
Some years ago my partner had a virus infection in her ear which led to permanent hearing impairment and a loss of balance so that she was unable to ride her bike.
She had therapy to improve her balance and was advised to take her bike to a cycle path in a nearby park to try riding. She was also advised that after managing to ride her bike she should try riding with her eyes closed for a few seconds !
I took her in a car to the North Kent cycle path at Reculver and we tried the eyes shut routine ( I found it a bit unnerving ) and her balance eventually improved so that she could cycle normally (almost ).
She still has a slight problem - can't ride out of the saddle ( if stopped on a hill she has to descend first and turn to continue climbing)- can't reach down for a drinking bottle (has to be handle bar mounted) - a lot better than not being able to ride though.
So I would say that your best option is to do some off road riding on a quiet cycle path or bridleway.
My turbo trainer is mainly used as a bike stand.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

If you get rollers you really need to use smooth tyres for your mtb.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!