Knee cap/patella pain (how long)

foxyrider

Re: Knee cap/patella pain (how long)

Post by foxyrider »

Short update - I did 200km today - little knee pain in first hour but fine for the rest of the ride despite 100km into a headwind!

Just a thought - is there any heat in your knee when it's painful? If there is it would indicate a deeper seated issue than merely saddle position.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have suffered from low level knee pain for years ...
I control it with a stretching action while on the bike ....
June / July this year i took part in my first LEJOG ..14 nights ...
After day 1 i had no knee pain and a month later and lots of rides still have no knee pain ...
My gearing for the LEJOG had the effect i believe...
12-32 cassette ........ 26 tooth chainring !!!!!
I was riding in a group of 5 / 6 .... kept up with the group and twiddled my way to JOG ....
Stress free knees..
:D

(And before you ask i still suffered on Helmsdale and Berriedale)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
plasterjfe

Post by plasterjfe »

foxyrider wrote:Short update - I did 200km today - little knee pain in first hour but fine for the rest of the ride despite 100km into a headwind!

Just a thought - is there any heat in your knee when it's painful? If there is it would indicate a deeper seated issue than merely saddle position.
I wouldn't describe it as heat. Its an sharp pain to the touch but more an ache in general that dulls down afrer 2 days day 3 its not noticable until I get back on the bike. I think i need to heal for a bit.

Maybe your knee pain goes away after your into a rhythm? Maybe a good warm up process could stop it for you
plasterjfe

Post by plasterjfe »

@Vorpal

How long did you take to recover and did you come off tue bike for a period
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

plasterjfe wrote:@Vorpal

How long did you take to recover and did you come off tue bike for a period

My difficulty was some years ago. I did not take time off the bike, but I did reduce my cycling for awhile. IIRC, I continued commuting (I didn't have a car), but cut out leisure rides almost entirely. My physio at the time told me to go swimming, instead, so I did. I also started playing football again, casually. Those helped, and fairly quickly. I think I first developed a problem early in the cycling season (April? May?), and I rode 200 miles in 2 days in August. I wasn't really prepared for it, but only my backside suffered; no problems with my knees.

That said, I think if you look at some of the links, or search as Graham recommended, there's book often recommended on the forum. That will likely give you what you need to self-diagnose and sort it out. Otherwise, see a physio. We aren't qualified to give medical advice!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

plasterjfe wrote:I wouldn't describe it as heat. Its an sharp pain to the touch but more an ache in general that dulls down afrer 2 days day 3 its not noticable until I get back on the bike. I think i need to heal for a bit.

Maybe your knee pain goes away after your into a rhythm? Maybe a good warm up process could stop it for you

That description sounds more like tendonitis, in which case cycling will exacerbate it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
plasterjfe

Post by plasterjfe »

Yep I think a visit to tue GP to hopefully obtain a physio appointment lools the most sense