Knee cap/patella pain (how long)

plasterjfe

Knee cap/patella pain (how long)

Post by plasterjfe »

Had a problem about 4 rides ago with my left knee cap hurting and every other ride since. The few days after are uncomfortable but not really painful then after a week it feels fine - then I do a ride and realise it hasn't gone away.

I have over this period had a bike fit that discovered my saddle was way too low (over 30mm).

Has anyone sufferwd similar and if so how long has it taken for this to heal before riding is comfortable again or even on the agenda at all.

Really frustrated that I may have to stop for a while [emoji20]

Tia

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my LG-H990 using hovercraft full of eels.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Knee cap/patella pain (how long)

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Did you raise the saddle 3 cm at once? That is a lot, try putting it down 2 cm now, then raise it a bit later maybe

Bike fittings give different results, who knows what is right?

You could search these fora, there is a lot of info about bike fitting plusminus :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Graham

Post by Graham »

As a starter, type grisogono into the search box.
This will lead you to a number of previous topic on the resolution of knee pain.
plasterjfe

Post by plasterjfe »

^
Thank you G.
plasterjfe

Post by plasterjfe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:^

I had the saddle over 30mm too low from the off and picked the injury up at this time. My bike fit was done as part of routing out the niggles/problems but I have not ridden properly since the fitting only a test drive approx 1 mile.
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

It sounds like the low saddle could have been the primary cause and that has been corrected, this doesn't mean that other stuff isn't going on though, such as unequal quad strength, weak glutes, tight hamstrings, poor VMO function. See a "good" sports physio who will point you in the right direction in a couple of sessions that will help bring back the strength balance lost due to the injury.
plasterjfe

Post by plasterjfe »

Possibly true.
I think overdoing it has a part with a badly fitting bike. I started out this yr so about my 4th ride onwards i was aiming for hills to get a workout and reaching for 40+miles with 3 hills thrown in about 14% from what I am reading the joints may not have been conditioned to deal with that after a short period.
Got a sportive booked in a few weeks really really want to take part in 60miles. Frustration bites.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You haven't said precisely where the pain is, but here is a thread about one of the most common causes of knee pain in cyclists viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70076

Knee pain is probably something we should have an index thread for, but we don't, so here are a few other threads...

This one began that way, but there's a lot to it, so maybe start by skimming it viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74985

more...

http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86003
http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57450
http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46588
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
plasterjfe

Post by plasterjfe »

Vorpal wrote:You haven't said precisely where the pain is, but here is a thread about one of the most common causes of knee pain in cyclists viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70076

Knee pain is probably something we should have an index thread for, but we don't, so here are a few other threads...

This one began that way, but there's a lot to it, so maybe start by skimming it viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74985

more...

http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86003
http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57450
http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46588
Will take a look thank you.

Knee pain in the left knee cap just on and around the inner edge of the cap (just off centre)
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

lay back with your knees slightly bent upwards say 6 inches off the deck and get someone to push down on your kneecaps. if it hurts then that is usually patellofemoral maltracking.

if it hurts going down hill but not uphill that is another symptom and the unstable knee.

basically the kneecap is being pulled off centre and is rubbing which feels like there's broken glass under there or someone is trying to prise it off.

cycling you get it when your muscles set at your saddle height then change bikes or it slips and you continue doing the miles. half an inch can cripple a rider over a hundred miles.

when I had a knee op andI followed the physio plan it wrecked mine by putting the muscles out of balance so I had to stop for a month to let the whole knee slacken off then start again. they'd given me exercises for one way but failed to compensate the other way.

another one you can do at home is sit with you foot straight out, get someone to hold your leg at the ankle and the supported at the knee then give it a waggle from the ankle to see how loose the joint it, do it relaxed and tensed. any movement gives you a clue as to where the leg needs strengthening.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Got a mild dose myself this week. After several months on one bike I rode a different one last weekend with the saddle set 1cm lower. Return to first bike and I have knee pain (why is it always the left leg?) Two rides on and it's almost gone.

When I change bikes more regularly I don't have the issue. My left leg has been in the wars over the years (broken patella, DVT, tendonitis) and so is weaker than my right. My knee is well wobbly despite everything I do, sure that doesn't help!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
plasterjfe

Post by plasterjfe »

I tried a small ride out.... only 14 miles.
Knee began to hurt as per, didnt get worse over the ride but still sore and uncomfortable.

The bike dimensions feel great in terms of height and efficiency and I can get a good leg extension out but I have noticed i have a slight heel up position on the feet and was hit with calf cramps (unusually after a short stretch of about 8 miles). Hmn
Lowering the seat might stop this but then add pressure back onto tue knees?

[emoji20]
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

plasterjfe wrote:So I tried a small ride out.... 14 miles.
Knee began to hurt as per, didnt get worse over the ride but still sore and uncomfortable.

The bike dimensions feel great in terms of height and efficiency and I can get a good leg extension out but I have noticed i have a slight heel up position on the feet and was hit with calf cramps (unusually after a short stretch of about 8 miles). Hmn

Try moving your saddle back. You may also need to move it down (to compensate for moving it back),

Or check out 531colin's bike set up guide http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/docume ... 02017a.pdf
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
plasterjfe

Post by plasterjfe »

Tha
Vorpal wrote:
plasterjfe wrote:So I tried a small ride out.... 14 miles.

Try moving your saddle back. You may also need to move it down (to compensate for moving it back),

Or check out 531colin's bike set up guide http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/docume ... 02017a.pdf
Thanks. I will.

I wonder if crank arm length is to be considered. I am long from knee to ankle[emoji3]
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

plasterjfe wrote:I wonder if crank arm length is to be considered. I am long from knee to ankle[emoji3]

I would not consider it, but some people feel it makes a significant difference.